Anyone else here with these odd abilities?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 5:16 am

sinsboldly wrote:
spooky13 wrote:
I can do all of that,

Quote:
2) I can somehow know something without having ever learned/heard abbout it or even have known about it previously. An example would be the fact id know scientific facts and terminology I have never even heard before, and have even suprised a doctor once with the fact that after he diagnosed me as having a fistula, I gave a medically accurate definition of it without having prior knowledge of what it was. I do think however it might just be me coming up with a response based upon logical reasoning, although some of the things have no explanation whatsoever.

Weird, isn't it? It's like something is filed away in our brains and pops up now and then, like a mental reference encyclopedia. :)

this! when a young child in second grade I insisted I knew a song from the new book they gave us in our weekly singing class. When I was unable to tell the instructor where I had learned it from she became short with me and said "just sing it, then!" and I did, in my clear voice on seemingly perfect pitch. I still can sing it and have never encountered the song again in my life. Sometimes I wonder if I don't just pick things up from people, like a sort of radio that you can't adjust the tuning. I mean the music teacher was the only one that knew the song, and when we were looking through the book I asked about the song that caused the music teacher to remember it and I just picked it up in the ether. . . :roll: that is not too far fetched, is it?

Merle

Or maybe you can pick up actual radio transmissions. 8O :)

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 9:54 am

PLA wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 11:04 am

PLA wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
spooky13 wrote:
I can do all of that,

Quote:
2) I can somehow know something without having ever learned/heard abbout it or even have known about it previously. An example would be the fact id know scientific facts and terminology I have never even heard before, and have even suprised a doctor once with the fact that after he diagnosed me as having a fistula, I gave a medically accurate definition of it without having prior knowledge of what it was. I do think however it might just be me coming up with a response based upon logical reasoning, although some of the things have no explanation whatsoever.

Weird, isn't it? It's like something is filed away in our brains and pops up now and then, like a mental reference encyclopedia. :)

this! when a young child in second grade I insisted I knew a song from the new book they gave us in our weekly singing class. When I was unable to tell the instructor where I had learned it from she became short with me and said "just sing it, then!" and I did, in my clear voice on seemingly perfect pitch. I still can sing it and have never encountered the song again in my life. Sometimes I wonder if I don't just pick things up from people, like a sort of radio that you can't adjust the tuning. I mean the music teacher was the only one that knew the song, and when we were looking through the book I asked about the song that caused the music teacher to remember it and I just picked it up in the ether. . . :roll: that is not too far fetched, is it?

Merle

laugh, I don't mind. I was cooking for a group of tree planters deep in the Galice and Onion mountain region of the Siskiyou National Forest in Southern Oregon. It was spring and the creeks were full and coursing their spring thaw down their beds. You could hear the rumble as big boulders were bounced along the bottom on their way downstream and the roar of the whitewater was pervasive.
I stayed in camp, cooking, all day while the teams were out on the mountain, planting. Some of you might relate to humming along a one note song with a vacuum cleaner, or a blender or something that has a musical pitch like that? I found it soothed my ears if my vocal cords were humming the same note with different frequencies of the water, day after un audio interrupted day. That 'one note' became songs in my head that started with that note and my creative mind just supplied the songs, and they were from my youth like "Sixteen Candles" by the Platters and Frankie Avalon's "De De Dinah" and "Venus" or Dion and the Belmonts warbling "Teenager In Love".

Frankly I thought I was out of my mind. These songs, though I knew them were not songs I would have taken with me on my IPod to a deserted island! Matter of fact, they were cloying and objectionable but once I tuned into them, it never stopped. At the time I wondered if the raging streams of water around me were 'tuning me in' to a radio station.

When we came down from the mountain, I researched the issue and found KAJO 1270 AM the Oldies station in Grant's Pass, OR had that playlist of songs. It was in 1981, so that sort of music was 'oldies' for the medicare crowd.

so. Maybe you are onto something PLA ?

Merle

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 3:02 am

sinsboldly wrote:
PLA wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
spooky13 wrote:
I can do all of that,

Quote:

Merle

laugh, I don't mind. I was cooking for a group of tree planters deep in the Galice and Onion mountain region of the Siskiyou National Forest in Southern Oregon. It was spring and the creeks were full and coursing their spring thaw down their beds. You could hear the rumble as big boulders were bounced along the bottom on their way downstream and the roar of the whitewater was pervasive.
I stayed in camp, cooking, all day while the teams were out on the mountain, planting. Some of you might relate to humming along a one note song with a vacuum cleaner, or a blender or something that has a musical pitch like that? I found it soothed my ears if my vocal cords were humming the same note with different frequencies of the water, day after un audio interrupted day. That 'one note' became songs in my head that started with that note and my creative mind just supplied the songs, and they were from my youth like "Sixteen Candles" by the Platters and Frankie Avalon's "De De Dinah" and "Venus" or Dion and the Belmonts warbling "Teenager In Love".

Frankly I thought I was out of my mind. These songs, though I knew them were not songs I would have taken with me on my IPod to a deserted island! Matter of fact, they were cloying and objectionable but once I tuned into them, it never stopped. At the time I wondered if the raging streams of water around me were 'tuning me in' to a radio station.

When we came down from the mountain, I researched the issue and found KAJO 1270 AM the Oldies station in Grant's Pass, OR had that playlist of songs. It was in 1981, so that sort of music was 'oldies' for the medicare crowd.

so. Maybe you are onto something PLA ?

Merle

I do the same thing. The one note thing; not the station thing. Constant sounds also make it easier to improvise.
And right now, Calleth You, Cometh I is "playing". :P

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 11:18 am

I can look at random cooking ingredients in my house and sense what they taste like. Then in my mind, combined them and sense how the combination would taste.

Then I can put them all together for real and make a new dish that tastes just like I imaged it would.

I can also visualize how things work in my head. like how a car works without knowing, I somehow see the physics and such in my head. apparently Nikola Tesla could do this too.

Even odder ability's....

I can look at someones eyes and see into there mind. I can see there memories and current thoughts. I have been offered money to do this. I call it face reading or eye reading. It is a useful skill and a cool party trick.

I can do other stuff to but not as well as this^.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 11:24 am

Perfect pitch, and I can pick up languages so easily that it's freaky. Other than that my special abilities are all in the negative power... I'm the clumsiest person I know, my sense of direction is atrocious, and I can't clean to save my life. Do those count?