Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 11:04 am

Does anyone have any experience with Prozac? My depressions are dangerously leading me to suicidal thoughts, I need help.

cthulukitty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2010, 11:28 am

There are two words you really need to keep in mind: be careful. Many aspies have comorbid symptoms very similar to bipolar disorder, and SSRIs like Prozac might make you manic. Many people, most often teenagers, actually report that the drugs *increase* their suicidal ideation. SSRIs also reduce obsessiveness, which you might or might not want. I noticed that you listed a set of engaging intellectual interests. You might find yourself less drawn to those things under the influence of SSRIs, which could be either a good thing or a bad thing for you. There is also considerable risk of sexual side effects, if that is a concern, and while SSRIs are not considered addictive, they do produce a nasty discontinuation syndrome if you get on the train and then decide to jump off.

Keep in mind that aspies have a very different brain configuration from the NT population, so drugs designed to do one thing for them may have an entirely different range of main and side effects for you. I would strongly recommend that you seek a doctor who is specialized or at least experienced in treating adult aspies. Psychiatrists just don't understand PDDs in adults, and will treat you like an insane person. If your symptoms do indeed begin at the developmental level, then this approach could be disastrous for you.

Wurzel
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2010, 1:01 pm

Yes I have tried Prozac and experienced it's mood dampening effects.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 3:27 pm

SSRIs make me very depressed, sobbing for no reason. But they do work for many people. It may take trial and error to find the right medication for you.

I agree you should try to find a good psychiatrist who will listen to you and be sensitive to how the meds affect you and suggest changes if the first attempt doesn't work. Also, some Aspies are sensitive to meds, so sometimes it can be wise to start out at a lower dose. Again, sth to discuss with your psychiatrist.

The only meds I know of that are actually approved specifically to treat AS are Risperdal and Abilify.

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2010, 3:36 pm

Loborojo wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Prozac? My depressions are dangerously leading me to suicidal thoughts, I need help.

I have used Prozac and it did not work good for me at all. I think what cthulukitty said makes perfect sense.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 3:46 pm

I am on Prozac, and was on Zoloft in the past, and have had wonderful results! I find that Prozac in specific balances me, so that I am better able to cope with life in general. Things that would overwhelm me when not on medication are easy to handle appropriately. I also find engaging in social interaction to be more enjoyable, as well as easier, when on Prozac. I'm also much less irritable, which is good for my marriage -- my husband puts up with a lot, no need for him to cope with my bad mood.

One thing you do need, if you are considering suicide, is a good counselor or therapist! Someone you can really talk to and open up to, someone who won't judge you. The search for the right therapist can be as tricky as the search for the right anti-depressant, but the results, when you really click with someone, are worth it. (The person does not have to be an expert on AS, either; my therapist recognized I ad AS and helped me get my diagnosis, but she specializes in, and is treating me for, adult clinical depression.)

Illite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2010, 11:24 pm

Back when they thought I was depressed and all the other crazy stuff, I got to sample pretty much all the SSRIs at the time. I think Manic was more of the feeling I got from them. Amusingly, when they finally got the HFA disgnosis, they then recommended that I go back on Prozac again...

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 11:50 pm

My insanley stupid shrink as a kid put me on this (I wish people would have explained to me why they wanted to put me on things but I learned as an adult it's so they could make money because phycatriats are nothing more than legal drug dealers) and it gave me migranes and did nothing.

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 May 2010, 4:00 am

I have never tried Prozac but the SSRI Zoloft has worked very well for me. At times I was so anxious that I suffered of auditory hallucinations, I heard short 'clips' of unpleasant bone chilling music for a few seconds at a time. If I ever go to back to those experiences I dont know what I am going to do. Zoloft has actually made me more involved in my interests.

It truly is a trial and error experience. Zoloft may work for me but Prozac may not. A vice versa case may occur for someone else. I am studying psych however and the medication that seems to have complications on a substantially higher level is Paxil (Paroxetine). Prozac in general is a very safe SSRI and it is a good idea to try it in this 'trial and error' experience that many people with psychological disorders go through. Even paroxetine is worth giving a try if some of the other meds are not working.

I am sorry punkykat that you had bad experiences with your psychiatrist however not all psychiatrists are as awful as you make it seem. It is true, there are some psychiatrists out there that should not be practicing medicine, but many people such as myself due indeed benefit from psychiatric help. Also, the real 'drug dealers' are primary care physicians. These doctors dont know as much about psychiatric medications and often prescribe scheduled medications such as Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Ativan) without doubt or restraint. Psychiatrists prefer to stick with SSRIs most commonly for the treatment of even anxiety. Also, psychiatrists along with psychiatric medications are not the #1 money maker. In fact the #1 most prescribed medication for several years now has been Lipitor for the treatment of hypercholesterolemia. Therefore it is the cardiologists that are making money off of many peoples eating habits.

Anastasia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2010, 7:06 am

No antidepressant has ever worked for me. All they did was make me feel yuck and more depressed. Ritalin has been the only wonder drug for me but the side effects were too bad. Will probably see the Dr and try a non stimulant type next time.

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. ~e.e. cummings, 1955

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 7:34 am

Thanks for all of your reactions...butI had left here about 5 paragraphs of reply and it is nowhere to be seen. Surely Wrongplanet has not deleted it?

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 7:59 pm

It's really important to remember that the way meds work in your body is entirely individual. Just because Prozac did this or that to someone else doesn't mean anything at all about what it will do for you. If you're depressed, it's important to get in with a GOOD psychiatrist. A good one is worth his weight in gold, and will know how to help YOU best.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 3:40 am

What if it is a problem that even the best pshyciatrist can't solve?

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 9:02 am

Loborojo wrote:
What if it is a problem that even the best pshyciatrist can't solve?

Keep looking for the best one because new ones appear every day. You might not have found him/her yet.

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2010, 9:05 pm

I absolutely agree with SuperTrouper.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2010, 10:50 pm

You said you need help. I would encourage you to find some help in your geographic area. People on the Internet are no substitute for a qualified mental health professional. If you don't find one you can work with on the first try, keep trying. If you're suicidal, tell someone close to you who can help you get help.

Prozac et al help some people, and don't help others. SSRIs in general take quite a while to work. They are not a quick solution even when they work well.