Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

tenalpgnorw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2010, 5:59 pm

I'm now officially diagnosed with Asperger's, at least until the next DSM stuff is all figured out. My wife asked how it feels to be "official". It does not feel any different. I already had complete confidence in my self-diagnosis. But now I can at least bring a piece of paper with a Dx on it next time I go to a counselor or have other need for "proof".

The shrink also felt the need to do a personality test, an IQ test, and an OCD test. I already knew my personality type from several prior official tests, I already knew I don't have OCD, and my IQ tests were "off the charts", as expected.

My advice is that "professional" testing will not tell you any more about yourself than your own personal research, introspection and observation, but that it can be beneficial mainly for the sake of insurance and other such mundane paperwork regards.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 6:02 pm

Cool. I think I'm going to bite the bullet soon. I'm getting a lot of pressure to get a Dx which is weird, I thought it'd be the other way round.

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 6:16 pm

tenalpgnorw wrote:
I'm now officially diagnosed with Asperger's, at least until the next DSM stuff is all figured out. My wife asked how it feels to be "official". It does not feel any different. I already had complete confidence in my self-diagnosis. But now I can at least bring a piece of paper with a Dx on it next time I go to a counselor or have other need for "proof".

The shrink also felt the need to do a personality test, an IQ test, and an OCD test. I already knew my personality type from several prior official tests, I already knew I don't have OCD, and my IQ tests were "off the charts", as expected.

My advice is that "professional" testing will not tell you any more about yourself than your own personal research, introspection and observation, but that it can be beneficial mainly for the sake of insurance and other such mundane paperwork regards.

Totally OP(sorry got your username letters all mixed up)........but in my case, the case that I was "mentally ill" was put in a whole new light once dx AS......now I am having therapy that I can understand. It has been both a godsend and a pandoras box.......both believable and unbelievable.....

Mics

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 6:27 pm

Congratulations! :D

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 10:26 pm

I was thinking of going for diagnosis of Aspergers since I am going for a job traing course in July. I was diagnosed with learning disabilities in school forcing me to go to special education classes. Being diagnosed might help me get the right combination of meds so iI can retain what I learn in class. Not to mention help with job interviews. It might even help me get a job since I am disabled. My whole life I never mentioned my learning disabilities in am interview maybe aspergers might sound better than learning disabilities.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 1:31 am

(UPDATE :P ) Diagnosed with Aspergers on August 6th 2010. Never went to the job training though.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Jan 2011, 1:35 am

I have my first therapy appointment since self-dx in three days. I will definitely bring AS up and I intended to get an official DX if at all possible.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 1:50 am

tenalpgnorw wrote:

Interesting... fascinating... and kudos on the high scores!

I'm positive you are right out the "professionals." I'm a rude old man but I KNOW that getting embroiled with the "helping professionals" helps them big time, but you dear readers... seldom.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 7:19 am

Verdandi wrote:
I have my first therapy appointment since self-dx in three days. I will definitely bring AS up and I intended to get an official DX if at all possible.

Good luck. Hopefully you find a therapist with an open mind an the ability to listen.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Jan 2011, 7:24 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Good luck. Hopefully you find a therapist with an open mind an the ability to listen.

Thank you. I was told at intake that the clinic is pretty much open to patient input, so I may have at least some leeway here. I don't know how open they are to this, however.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 10:28 am

As an adult, what was the procedure like? I mean, the lines of questioning and whatnot?

I would love to get diagnosed. Until then I will always say I am "not sure if I am an Aspie or not," cuz I feel I need a proper diagnosis.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 5:55 pm

wavefreak58 I know your from Western New York who is your psychologist? You should try Dr. Messer he has Aspergers and is pretty good.

Dr. Drew C. Messer
5888 Main Street
Williamsville, NY 14221
(716) 961-9435

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 7:16 pm

Todesking wrote:
wavefreak58 I know your from Western New York who is your psychologist? You should try Dr. Messer he has Aspergers and is pretty good.

Dr. Drew C. Messer
5888 Main Street
Williamsville, NY 14221
(716) 961-9435

So far I have no problems with the one I'm seeing. But I'll keep him in mind.