Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2006, 2:26 pm

Is this news just in, or do I need to get out more often? I've previously only heard this as a rumour.

Yesterday's edition of Melbourne's Herald Sun carried an article on the internationally successful Sydney band The Vines, in which the band's lead singer Craig Nicholls openly discussed his recent diagnosis with AS. Below are some relevant passages from the article, please note that I am quoting verbatim here...

"Nicholls, in particular, looks happy and relaxed. He gave up smoking marijuana nine months ago and is "managing OK". He's also dealing with his Asperger's Disorder (sic) by "talking to someone"...

"...They should have been on a high, but it all started to implode. Nicholls' behaviour became increasingly erratic and occasionally violent - on and off stage - and many dismissed him as an indulgent rock star.

"The controversial incidents stacked up, culminating with the now infamous gig at Sydney's Annandale hotel in May 2004, where the Vines were to perform for Triple M competition winners. Bassist Patrick Matthews, who met Nicholls when they worked together at McDonald's, stormed off stage after the first song when the singer kicked out at a photographer. The gig descended into chaos and Nicholls baited the audience to "baa like sheep" after hearing someone laugh during one of their quieter songs. Triple M staffers were furious and banned the Vines from their playlist.

"The singer's bandmates, management and family shut down the touring plans for Winning Days and tried to figure out how to help Nicholls. The band's guitar technician Tony Bateman suggested the frontman may have Asperger's disorder, a type of autism spectrum condition. Some of Nicholls' behavioural problems - lack of eye contact, unwillingness to be touched and the strange accent many journalists accused him of putting on - were typical of the syndrome, as was his talent for music. Eventually, it was confirmed the singer had the disorder.

"Although relieved they now had a name for Nicholls' behaviour and could help him deal with it, there was another issue to deal with. An assault charge arising from the Annandale incident was finally dismissed in November 2004 and the Vines were free to contemplate their future...

"...Though Vines fans will see the band in action in at least two clips for singles from Vision Valley, touring remains up in the air. Taking Asperger's sufferers (sic) out of their routine is a worst-case scenario, but Craig Nicholls and his bandmates are itching to play their new material.

The frontman laughs heartily when Hamish Rosser suggests they do a stadium tour because "they all look the same", meaning Nicholls wouldn't be exposed to different environments..."

Well there you have it. I can't say that I've ever been a big fan of the Vines, and in fact recall being pretty unimpressed hearing about his behaviour at the time and even a little uncomfortable about the Asperger's rumours. I apologise for the choice of words used in the article too, but...for a Murdoch tabloid whaddya expect? Just curious to know what anyone else thinks about this kind of publicity...

You got to ask for it

Last edited by neptunevsmars on 31 Mar 2006, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alex
Developer
Developer

31 Mar 2006, 2:34 pm

This has been out for a while. We're trying to get an interview with him.

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2006, 2:40 pm

alex wrote:
This has been out for a while. We're trying to get an interview with him.

Oh OK so it is a case of me being a little slow on the uptake. :oops: I must be getting old when Americans know more about Aussie bands than I do :wink:

Aside from that what did you think of the tone of the article?

You got to ask for it

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2006, 6:05 pm

yeah i think everybody's past that, it happened in 2004 and they've got a new cd coming out soon! i read that he's trying to control himself, he's more mellowed out (if it's possible) and they're back!

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 3:58 am

2004? This news is 2 years old?

You got to ask for it

danielcanberra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2006, 8:36 pm

There was also a big article in The Sydney Morning Herald's Good Weekend magazine on 25 March 2006 (cover story). Unfortunately unlike the NY Times, SMH does not put its mag online.

Email [email protected] - if you would like the text of the article.

The news about Craig Nicholls was reported in November 2004 when he had that court appearance and his diagnosis was tendered as evidence and he was acquitted of assault charges on the condition he undergo 'treatment' (ie therapy).

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2006, 10:37 am

Thanks Daniel, I wouldn't mind checking that out.

The reason I brought this up - aside from the fact that I'm obviously the last person in the known universe to find out - is that with so few people being public about AS (basically him and Dan Aykroyd is all I can think of), I'm just trying to get some feedback on the publicity and the way that it reflects on AS.

No disrespect at all to Craig but his behaviour back in the day was nothing like any other Aspie I've ever heard of and I'm concerned as to whether people might read this a being a blanket definition of AS? Personally my opinion is that aside from his youth and the pressures of being the frontman for a hugely successful band, the pot would have to have been a major factor. In my own humble opinion he has proven himself a sane man by giving it away.

You got to ask for it

danielcanberra

02 Apr 2006, 8:28 pm

neptunevsmars wrote:
Thanks Daniel, I wouldn't mind checking that out.

The Age also has Good Weekend. It would be the same one.

Hope you got your hands on one.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2006, 7:30 am

alex wrote:
We're trying to get an interview with him.

Why??

Space
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2006, 3:30 pm

renaeden wrote:
alex wrote:
We're trying to get an interview with him.

Why??

why wouldn't WP want an interview with him?

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2006, 5:42 am

I'm in agreement here. Although as I said, I'm not a fan of the Vines and always thought Craig was a complete tool, as a failed musician I'm keen to know how he's learned to balance AS with the pressures of fronting a high profile band. It's not like he's my hero now I know that I know he's an Aspie; but this is the first significant mainstream exposure that AS has had, at least in Australia, since I've been diagnosed.

You got to ask for it

AreFriendsElectric

07 Apr 2006, 1:34 pm

I purchased their new record. Its great, the best of modern music (and all time music, too)!!Congrats Vines! Some of the singing reminds me of Brian Wilson.

It may be possible Craig has something else in addition to AS. but who knows? I remember that when I saw them in concert, Craig was drooling badly onto the mic and not singing any of the words for a large portion of their set.

In a recent interview I read, he reminded me of myself when I got diagnosed. My life didn't change or anything at all, it just explained some things, both recent and childhood events.

Quote:
Although as I said, I'm not a fan of the Vines and always thought Craig was a complete tool

For what reasons did you always think he was a tool? Whats that mean?

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2006, 2:45 pm

AreFriendsElectric wrote:
For what reasons did you always think he was a tool? Whats that mean?

Just hearing about some of his abusive behaviour. As the HS article said, "many dismissed him as an indulgent rock star" and I was one of them. I wasn't diagnosed with AS at that time and neither was he; it certainly never occurred to me that I had the same condition as him.

I speak of having that opinion in the past tense because he's making the effort to look after himself now. If he was still punching out Ryan Griffiths for breaking a string and blaming AS then I'd still think he was a tool.

Oh yeah, sorry - tool: colloquially, an idiot.

I'm not sure if this is exclusively an Australian term, I think Brits use it as well.

You got to ask for it

danielcanberra

16 Apr 2006, 8:34 pm

AreFriendsElectric wrote:
I purchased their new record. Its great, the best of modern music (and all time music, too)!!Congrats Vines! Some of the singing reminds me of Brian Wilson.

Can you still buy records? I bought the CD. Vision Valley is more than great. It is brilliant.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2006, 7:44 pm

I liked his CD judging from the few tracks I have heard from it so far. I will probably go out and buy a copy, but that has nothing do with him being an aspie. I think the two are entirely separate.
I would buy a Vines CD just in spite of Nicholl's being an aspie and not because of it.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 6:25 am

Not to mention he's also really hot.