Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2010, 12:40 pm

in some ways although not in others. i actually have a very reality based, outward way of seeing things rather than looking inward. i only appear absent minded when i have to focus on more than one thing at once. i can sometimes focus for an extremely long time, yet most of the time i cannot, even for things that interest me.

Callista wrote:
I have laser-pointer attention.

Either it's focused on something intensely and to the exclusion of all else, or it's not focused at all.

i am the same way. everyone assumes that i am not paying attention, yet i am not so out of it as just "somewhere else".

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 3:26 pm

I am very absent minded.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 10:10 pm

I'm very absent-minded. I'm completely oblivious to the world around me and I have the short-term memory of a goldfish. My mom was so concerned that at one point she even brought it up to my psychiatrist, who said that I simply don't remember things that don't interest me (which would be everything unrelated to my obsessions).

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2010, 12:10 am

I'm quite absentminded, but it is due to being hyperfocused; things that aren't immediately important (like a care about to hit me) are often processed as background.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 12:22 am

i'm either uber focused on something or absent minded. i become easily annoyed when something goes wrong when i'm in this state of intense focus. i'm sure i give a lot of the impression that i'm absent minded though.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

French_Lola
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2010, 3:28 am

Valoyossa wrote:
I'm often far far fay away. I'm AUTistic, so I can be aut (out). It helps me to survive during boring situations. When I do sth, I can do AUTomatic Mode On and I do this thing, but my mind goes away. I don't feel tired.
Sometimes I'm among many people, but I sit and stare at one point. I almost don't hear them and don't feel. I call it half-dead. Maybe it's a way to avoid harms of too-many-humans. They're really exhausting. People like to wave their hands before my eyes. When I'm alone, I can be totally off. Like a meditation.

omg you sound just like me! I go on automatic mode quite often, and the scary part is that sometimes i'm even out when I drive 8O For some reason i've never bumped into anything, a part of me is still aware of what's going on somehow.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 12:10 pm

I have a serious issue with this. I am oblivious to my surroundings. It may be because of what someone else posted about it not being my focus of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 6:16 pm

I signed up to work on a day when I had class and locked myself out of the house on the same day. Which was today. I feel really stupid and that people think I'm really stupid or that I'm getting premature dementia even though I get all A's, scored a 98 out of 100 on my last psychology test, and have solid art skills. My wife says she is at her wits end with me. I'm not sure what I'm going to do since I hate taking ADHD type stimulants and anti-depressants.

Last edited by Shadwell on 11 Oct 2010, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 8:29 pm

just yesterday, while on my cell phone with a friend, I noticed my phone wasn't in the car where i keep it, so I must have left it at the house, went to put on my glasses to look for it and couldn't find them either... I was already wearing my glasses and talking on the cell phone i couldn't find.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 8:54 pm

Story of my life. Just today I went to get a key at work and it wasn't on it's usual hook. I asked around and no one had seen it. We

decided someone not working that day had absentmindedly taken it home the day before. We've both done it. Then I put my hands

in my pocket and there it was. I have no memory of putting the key in my pocket in the first place.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 2:43 am

I am so absent-minded that it was a big problem at school. I was always forgetting something (which is why I use a computer now), always losing something and had meltdowns because of that. :lol:
According to my teacher, I was so absent-minded, disorganised, lacking of motor and spatial skills that I should not have been able to get my bachelor degree last year because it spoils my intellectual abilities. :lol:

But I'm working on every single area of difficulty I have. :D It may not be "natural", but I improved.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 6:02 am

whitetiger wrote:
I have a serious issue with this. I am oblivious to my surroundings. It may be because of what someone else posted about it not being my focus of interest.

I frequently find myself explaining myself (redundant, yeah) to people because of this.

Typical conversations in my life:
"Do you know where [such and such] is?" "No." "But you've lived around the corner from it for two years." "I'm sorry, I'm oblivious to my surroundings."
or
"What did you think of [so and so's] haircut?" "Haircut?" "She chopped off like eight inches of hair." "Oh." "You can't tell me you didn't notice." "Sorry, I'm oblivious to my surroundings."

But that's not what I came here to say (I'm so distractable >_< apologies). I came here to say:

I frequently forget why I'm doing something. This is particularly amusing because as I was typing about being distractable, I was trying to remember what I'd come here to say.

For example, I'll say to myself, "You have to go to the store to get bread and avocados. You have to go to the store to get bread and avocados. You have to go to the store. You have to go to the store." I go to the store. "Why did I need to come here?"

Or even: "You have to go to the bathroom and get the scissors to cut this string. Go to the bathroom, get the scissors, cut this string. Go to the bathroom, get the scissors. Go to the bathroom." I go to the bathroom. "Why am I in here? Oh right, scissors. What the hell do I need scissors for?" >_<;

GrimmRomance
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2010, 6:47 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
Haha, yes.
Once I almost set my teacher on fire. Because she told me to put the Bunsen burner out, so I blew on it, and it sent the flame towards her. XD

Bwahahahaha! xD Best story ever.
Sounds like something I would do.

--

To answer the OP's question: I'm constantly absent-minded.
So much I just forgot which story I'd post because I went blank. n__n

I frequently go downstairs at home to get something, forget what that something is, go back upstairs, remember and repeat!
Once in 6th grade I had just spoken in front of the class about the solar system... And when I was done the teacher went: "Great job!" And held up her hand. It took me three minutes to realize she was high-fiving me. x_x

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 8:18 am

I'm not sometimes absent-minded. I'm always absent-minded. I'm very forgetful and completely oblivious to my surroundings.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 5:10 pm

I'm terribly absent-minded. If something ain't part of my routine, I'll forget about it, until I've adapted to it and then it will be accepted as part of my routine. My mum says that happens to a lot of people, though. Even she gets like it, and so does most of her friends.

It's November now, but I'm still in summer mode. My mind is still in August or early September time. Each evening I have to make sure I put my scarf, gloves and coat right in front of the front door, so that I will remember to put them on before I go out to work in the morning, otherwise I will just walk outside and feel the cold air hit me, then I have to rush back in and get all wrapped up, then I'll be late for my bus. I have calanders all over my room, and I do know that it is November (because I'm not an idiot), but at the same time I keep forgetting that November means it's getting colder again, not getting warmer.

I can get used to the warmer days in spring quicker, because I look forward to the warmer and brighter weather. :D

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Are you sometimes absent-minded?

No. Exactly the opposite - sometimes I am not absent-minded.