Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 8:42 pm

I don't think that's 'too' weird of a special interest at all. I'm also pretty interested in it, though my interest does branch out into some other psychology/neuroscience areas. When I clicked on this thread I thought it was going to be something creepy weird, when I saw it was AS I thought "oh, that's not weird at all" :lol:

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 6:38 pm

I've fallen into the pit from which none return.

I'm hooked on this:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 10:18 am

justMax wrote:

I'm hooked on this:

I prefer:
[img][650:500]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9210/goldmant.png[/img]

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 1:16 pm

I don't think so. I love it! Def. one of my special interests. :D

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 1:42 pm

Count me in. I do too.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 7:21 pm

Mathgirl,

The only thing I feel is odd is that you call yourself mathgirl, and the special interest is AS! I would have guessed MATH! 8-)

Pervasive
Development
Disorder

That term makes one wonder what is going on. And Autism doesn't make it any clearer.

I'm certainly not going to REALLY tell people at work. They think I am odd enough as it is. I mean a stereotypical programmer is almost SUPPOSED to be odd.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 9:03 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Mathgirl,

The only thing I feel is odd is that you call yourself mathgirl, and the special interest is AS! I would have guessed MATH! 8-)

Pervasive
Development
Disorder

That term makes one wonder what is going on. And Autism doesn't make it any clearer.

I'm certainly not going to REALLY tell people at work. They think I am odd enough as it is. I mean a stereotypical programmer is almost SUPPOSED to be odd.
I've chosen this name back when I was very interested in math and my interest in pervasive developmental disorder was at its beginning stages (I think I spent two full days reading about autism before I've joined WP). I had no idea back then that it was going to become my special interest.

The problem with this interest is that when I keep talking about autism, people start wondering what's going on with me. They start asking me leading questions. And eventually, I end up outing myself. Some people say that it's risky to out yourself to everyone. Nothing bad has come out of it for me yet, at least. But, on the other hand, it's probably unnecessary.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 9:07 pm

justMax wrote:
I'm hooked on this:
Looks very cool. And I've always been hooked on business statistics. I used to read nothing but the business section in the paper.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 8:03 pm

if it's too weird, then apparently lot of us here are too weird :lol:

i was fascinated by Asperger's the minute i heard about it, and took it up as an interest (and wanted to return to school to study it) years before a sequence of "light bulb" moments, and then i'll admit i felt rather idiotic, like someone focusing their whole life looking for a pair of glasses that turn out to be on top of their head.

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2010, 5:37 am

I do something kind of similar that I usually dont even notice Im doing but people bring it up to me a lot. I talk about me alot. I talk about what Im thinking, what I did recently, what I want to do, what I like doing, and anything that has to do with myself. I dont know why I do this but Ive been told it really annoys people. I think its because I have no idea whats going on with other people so I can only talk about myself sometimes. It makes people think im really self centered too, but I dont think I am too often. I also tend to get angry when someone doesnt know what Im thinking because I didnt say anything. I realize that of course they dont know because I didnt tell them but I dont think about that until after I get mad.

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2010, 5:38 am

deleted... accednetlly posted the same thing multiple times

Last edited by carltcwc on 11 May 2010, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2010, 5:38 am

deleted... accednetlly posted the same thing multiple times

Last edited by carltcwc on 11 May 2010, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2010, 8:46 am

OP, they might ignore your friend requests simply because they don't actually know you! I know I deny friend requests on sites from people I don't know...

In terms of the topic question, I don't think that's too weird at all! My special interests are things like forensic science, pathology and mental illnesses, and everything tends to come back to dead people, so if anything, I think my obsession with death and gore would be more off-putting than your interest in ASD.
(I also am pretty obsessed with ASD, so I can relate...)

I've met/heard of even weirder obsessions; I think in the grand scheme of things yours is pretty normal!