Interested in becoming workaholic; advice sought

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Preston
Raven
Raven

03 May 2010, 1:38 am

Those of you who work a lot, or have, how do you keep it up? How feasible is it to work a lot at a job that's just okay, or that you don't like? I'm trying to get an idea how important liking your work is verses having pleasurable downtime activities in helping to make a workaholic-like lifestyle as fulfilling as possible.

I've gone into this topic on another website and have already gotten a fair bit of good information. I'm leaving a lot of information out here partly because of that, and I want to get this thread up soon and elaborate or ask more questions if need be as the thread progresses.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 May 2010, 4:48 am

A workaholic is someone who has sold their soul to the marketplace. Their self-respect is based on performance reviews i.e. how well they live up to corporate goals, how well they please their boss and coworkers. Workaholics keep up with the Joneses. A workaholic has to consult others to know if s/he is happy. Workaholics have trophy wives/husbands. Their children are often delinquents.

"Workaholic" is the name of a disease, like "alcoholic."

Are we talking about the same thing?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 5:34 am

My late boss was a workaholic. He had no relationship with his children when they were growing up and the only reason he did later was because he employed them. He dropped dead of a heart attack at 62, which is very young, actually. I don't understand it really. I don't want to spend my entire life working long hours and then collapse exhausted at the end. I want to experience life now.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 7:53 am

I used to see the appeal of being a wokraholic, especially when I was unhappy with my life, but the danger of throwing yourself into your work heart and soul these days is that so many people get laid off for no reason and at any time, so there is a real chance of the rug being pulled from beneath you despite hard work.

If you want to work really hard, that's great, but make sure you have hobbies or a social circle outside work to keep you grounded just in case you get laid off, or you end up inside a bout of severe office politics.

If you have family, I really don't recommend being a workaholic.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 10:01 am

My advice for anyone wanting to become a workaholic is simple, Do not do it !

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 May 2010, 10:25 am

Are you sure you're not talking about following your passion?

Preston
Raven
Raven

06 May 2010, 4:28 pm

So apparently, I'm going to have to elaborate on my plans and motives. Quoting from another website I brought the discussion up:

Quote:
The top reasons I'm considering a workaholic lifestyle are that I'm usually equally happy whether I'm working or playing, my social life is weak, many of the activities I can partake in for free or cheap aren't as enjoyable anymore, I often have to go extreme to do well at something, and most of the people I want to socialize with are smart and being high status professionally will make it easier to mingle with them.

Trying to think of anything not covered by that............... oh, throw romance in there, as I could speed up access to high quality women. With a couple of these items, the idea is to speed up the process of eliminating the problem.

I won't maintain a rigid work schedule if I don't find it to be helping me be at least okay in the short term and happy long term, and hopefully helping others, which being professionally productive usually does. This thread is part of my research and planning.

So, answers to my questions from anyone who thinks they're qualified, please? :-)

Preston
Raven
Raven

06 May 2010, 4:43 pm

An additional reason for my interest on the topic is that I want to be an entrepreneur eventually, and I've gathered from many sources that most entrepreneurs work a LOT. I'd want to get used to that.

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2010, 9:15 pm

people are usually workaholic when they are attached to their jobs. they like what they are doing. for entrepreneur probably it is more important what you doing than how long. need to read and educate yourself more than just spending hours on some silly/physical job.