Anyone currently at University of Waterloo?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 11:55 am

Or if you are off during the spring term (right now) and are on campus in the fall?

I will also be here in the fall (from what I know).

If you are interested in meeting up, please PM me.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 12:09 pm

I'm interested in meeting up, but I'm not going to U of Waterloo. I will be starting at York this fall.

I can come over during the summer, as long as it's accessible by bus/train and as long as the transportation isn't more expensive than, i'd say, 6 dollars one way.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 2:18 pm

MathGirl wrote:
I'm interested in meeting up, but I'm not going to U of Waterloo. I will be starting at York this fall.

I can come over during the summer, as long as it's accessible by bus/train and as long as the transportation isn't more expensive than, i'd say, 6 dollars one way.
\
Definitely more than 6 dollars. The fed bus is like $11 one way and the go bus is even more I think but you'll have to check.

What are you studying at York?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 2:55 pm

I'm studying cognitive science.

You told me that you're from Brampton. I went to Brampton last summer on the Go train for a BBQ for people on the spectrum. The one way fee was around $5. As for TTC, I have a metropass, so I don't have to pay extra.

Maybe we could meet up when you go back to Brampton. I could definitely come over. I'll probably go to this BBQ again this summer, so maybe we can arrange to meet then. It's in the middle of August, I think.

Last edited by MathGirl on 03 May 2010, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 3:00 pm

MathGirl wrote:
I'm studying cognitive science.

You told me that you're from Brampton. I went to Brampton last summer on the Go bus for a BBQ for people on the spectrum. The one way fee was around $5. As for TTC, I have a metropass, so I don't have to pay extra.

Maybe we could meet up when you go back to Brampton. I could definitely come over. I'll probably go to this BBQ again this summer, so maybe we can arrange to meet then. It's in the middle of August, I think.

Pfft! Oakville. (Palm on my mouth holding back laughter) Sorry, I just bursted into laughter as soon as I read Brampton (if you don't get whats so funny then nevermind, sometimes there are things I randomly laugh at)

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 3:03 pm

Oh pssh of course. I always mess the two up. As far as I know, though, the distance to Oakville from here is the same as the distance to the very end of Mississauga. So I don't think the fee will exceed $6, because I have travelled to the end of Mississauga using Go transit a couple of times and it was also around $4 or $5.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 3:08 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Oh pssh of course. I always mess the two up. As far as I know, though, the distance to Oakville from here is the same as the distance to the very end of Mississauga. So I don't think the fee will exceed $6, because I have travelled to the end of Mississauga using Go transit a couple of times and it was also around $4 or $5.

You're comparing Waterloo to Oakville and Oakville to Mississauga right?

Definitely not. Time wise it may be the same if you travel in the city with lots of traffic lights but from Oakville to Waterloo, its a lot of freeway usually no traffic jams.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 3:10 pm

Nope, I'm comparing Toronto to Mississauga and Toronto to Oakville. I think Waterloo would be too far from me, but if you get a chance to go back to Oakville during the summer, we can meet up then.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 3:18 pm

I'll be in Waterloo most of the time till mid-August

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 3:20 pm

So when are you going to be in Oakville? I'll probably be skipping Frosh Week, anyway.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 3:31 pm

MathGirl wrote:
So when are you going to be in Oakville? I'll probably be skipping Frosh Week, anyway.

Don't skip frosh week. You may not make lots of friends but your first year will be less boring at least knowing some people. I had trouble making friends with people in my dorm but I was in a small program and so I hung out and talked (fine, maybe I won't use the word "friend") with people in my program. They wrote on people's shirt (given my the university) the program everyone was in so people could group themselves. But whatever, maybe you don't feel "boring" no matter what happens. Just a suggestion. Besides, there are fun activities to do even if you're alone. It may be the only chance you'll get of living in university but doing no school work at the same time :lol:

I'm going back to Oakville in mid-August (or whenever my exams are finished) but I'm gonna have trouble convincing my parents to let me meet up (remember the thread I made some time ago?) Here is the thread:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt121974.html

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 3:39 pm

I can come over to your place and your parents can be there with you so that they won't have to panic over you meeting a random stranger for the first time.

As for frosh week, I don't care if I don't make any friends. Trying to keep even one friend for a long time is an enormously difficult task for me. It's emotionally and mentally exhausting. I don't need any close contacts. I like meeting people randomly off the Internet and in different groups, because it's a once in a while thing. As for university, I am going there for studying and not for making friends. I'm fine with getting my only socializing with support groups and with people who are waay older than me. There's an Asperger's support group at York, which I'll join partially because it's my special interest and partially because that's where I probably belong the most, but that's it.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 3:58 pm

MathGirl wrote:
I can come over to your place and your parents can be there with you so that they won't have to panic over you meeting a random stranger for the first time.

As for frosh week, I don't care if I don't make any friends. Trying to keep even one friend for a long time is an enormously difficult task for me. It's emotionally and mentally exhausting. I don't need any close contacts. I like meeting people randomly off the Internet and in different groups, because it's a once in a while thing. As for university, I am going there for studying and not for making friends. I'm fine with getting my only socializing with support groups and with people who are waay older than me. There's an Asperger's support group at York, which I'll join partially because it's my special interest and partially because that's where I probably belong the most, but that's it.

I tried looking for an aspie support group at Waterloo and I couldn't find one.

See, my problem is that I'm somehow too nervous about telling my parents that "someone I met on WP is coming over". It may be an irrational fear. My parents probably don't even know what WP is and I'll have to explain to them. Maybe this is one of my (perhaps many) problems with social interaction. What I considered "too secret to tell even my parents" covers a huge spectrum of things. I tend to keep too many things a secret resulting in weird conversations with other people (like giving really short answers).

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 4:04 pm

Oh and my brother (if he knows I'm meeting up) would say something like "oh come on, make "real friends".

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 4:07 pm

I've heard that there isn't an aspie support group at Waterloo. One of the reasons I chose York is because they have one, for sure. Not all colleges/universities would have one; it depends on how well they're equipped to provide special services for students.

I have the same issue of secrecy. I don't like to talk to my mother about Asperger's, because she has negative feelings about it (and it's very difficult for me to participate in interactions that involve feelings). And my dad doesn't really care to ask in as much depth as my mother. I still can't bring myself to tell my parents that I've been diagnosed, because there are possible consequences that could arise from that, and it could be too much for me to handle any changes in the family atmosphere.

As for meeting me, I don't think you need to mention WP. Do your parents know about Asperger's? You can just tell them that you met someone with Asperger's online and are going to meet them. If they ask you about where specifically you've met me online, you can show them WP.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 4:11 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Oh and my brother (if he knows I'm meeting up) would say something like "oh come on, make "real friends".
Lol, and you should tell him "well, at least I'm not locking myself up in my room without socializing at all."