Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 2:26 pm

I am 24 and now adays I hear about Organic this/that and "global Warming" and going green etc. but while this is all nice in the 00's IMO stuff was slightly better in the 90's! I had the show Captain Planet which constantly talked about pollution and how we are damaging our planet and Nickelodeon (while they still have THE BIG HELP!) It's not a telethon like it used to be with awesome concerts and such. Plus we had Bill Nye the Science guy to talk about the world and Mr. Wizard on Nickelodeon also with science. I remember learning from Bill Nye (about coral snakes the rhyme if red touches yellow you're a dead fellow,if red touches black you're ok jack.) Little things like this. I SO WISH Nick had THE BIG HELP! telethon instead of having the plant a tree and the stupid stuff Disney has tried to do!! !! ! :-)

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 6:49 pm

I remember the big help. "Share give fix visit care give do..." But yeah. I think the reason I'm such a nature lover is in part due to the cartoons and such I watched as a kid. They were always very nature oriented. I'm just 2 years older than you so we're from the same era (and the same state). Programs like Captain Planet and David the Gnome played a big part in my naturalistic, earth-loving mindset. Too bad most cartoons these days suck big time.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 7:34 pm

I was a little (really little-my 6th birthday was in 1980) kid in the 70s, and things back then were even MORE nature oriented than in the 90s. There were actually families from the suburbs who renounced everything to live like settlers in remote areas, and live off the land. Most failed, but they tried to live the dream, and were more honest about it than environmentalists are today, today it's all about controlling people.

I had a Fisher-Price barn with all the farm animals, and used yellow twist ties from wheat bread wrappers as "hay". I recently learned that there were "homesteader" dolls like The Sunshine Family that were far more nature-friendly than any toys in the 90s. They encouraged creative play, unlike today where everything is regimented and computerized. I agree that the environmental movement has really degraded from when things were noble and pure and not a bunch of rich dudes who want to live like kings in 20,000 sq ft mansions while the peasants live in apartment buildings and drive Priuses while the kings fly in planes. It seems that it's all about controlling people.

I also don't like the uber-dark, anime-inspired cartoons today's kids are stuck with. They are SO depressing, and have depressing themes and tons of violence. I always liked Bugs Bunny, they were bigoted so they're illegal to show on TV today, but they were entertaining, and the bigotry was usually accidental, the product of ignorance, except for some WW2 cartoons that bashed the Japanese in racist ways. I learned about the wartime draft from "Bugs Gets Drafted", and then I learned that people in the 40s felt the draft was needed, and the rich kids went too. All that was contrary to what my parents and their generation believed. I learned about Victory Gardens from cartoons where Bugs tries to eat the carrots out of Elmer Fudd's garden, and Elmer fails to stop him.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 9:45 pm

Pezar you made another good point WW2 Bugs Bunny you don't see Bugs going to Iraq? WOW! Captain America/Superman and Hitler but NO we can't talk about terrorists/Bin Laden/Muslim/Sadam/Iraq war etc. IMO it's sad.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 3:06 am

Well, terms like "save the planet" and any word with "green" attached to it make me somewhat nauseous. The cycle of all good ideas seems to be that they're thought up by a core of people who truly care, and are good people. But once the idea starts catching on, someone swoops in and starts marketing it to the masses. Things are advertised as "green" even when they're not actually very good; It's become just another marketing term.

There's the quasi-terrorist Greenpeace (good end, wrong means), and the masses who recycle and buy organic but who have five children and regularly eat at McDonald's because they don't really know what they're doing. They're just doing what they're told.