Significant other demanding I defriend an ex-crush

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 2:28 pm

You're all still wrong people:

It's abuse to demand of an adult who they can or can't be friends with. If you're willing to compromise for someone's irrational insecurity, that's your choice. It's abuse for a male to tell a female who she can or can't be friends with, just as the converse is true. People can say, but plenty of males or females are like this! That just means they're all insecure and/or untrusting and abusers too.

The "right" thing is for the partner to let her position known without demanding anything. They can then talk about it. If the partner is so uncomfortable that she must resort to abuse, then she can leave, as the relationship has reached an unhealthy and untrusting point.

It's kinda sobering to see people think this form of abuse is ok. It's no different to any other forms of, as it's all for the sake of controlling a person for their own ends (which abuse is).

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 3:08 pm

AngelRho wrote:
I have RARELY told my SO that she was "forbidden" to see other people. RARELY. And she "obeyed" me (for lack of a better term) to a good degree.

But there are reasons for it.

#1. I forbade her to ever go anywhere NEAR her ex bf after we got together. Good reason, though. Dude was PSYCHOTIC. Something I've observed about people with psychotic exes is that they often go back, knowing full well and yet in denial that they will be abused again. I drove a wedge between those two so wide that there's more of a chance the earth will get sucked into a black hole before they ever see each other again.

#2. Not long after we got engaged, she was hanging out with a "friend" who got her drunk and made a move on her. Even though she said nothing "happened," I came down pretty hard on her (emotionally) for putting herself in that position. She never saw him again after that.

#3. After we got married, she went with a girl friend to our fav Mexican place for a "girl's night out." OK, I've seen the way her husband looked her, and that made me REALLY uncomfortable. So she ends up getting my wife drunk, which is embarrassing enough, but also reflects badly on me. So imagine what I was thinking when some other MAN drops her off at the house! She could have at least called me. Those people have cooled out a lot over the last couple years, but the damage is done. If I can't trust someone, I'm certainly not going to just let my wife run around with them.

Now, before you start thinking I'm a misogynist creep, those are only 3 incidents in all of 10 years that we've been together. Sure I have a little bit of a possessive streak, but you ought to see how she gives it right back! lol I just believe that holding a partner accountable is just part of a strong relationship, and anything I've done pales in comparison with all the times she's called ME out on things! I think both partners have a duty to guard the relationship. It starts with your own fidelity and commitment, but both people have to be willing to confront each other when there are problems or questionable circumstances. Some amount of jealousy is to be expected. If you don't jealously guard your relationships (I don't mean creepy-stalker kind of way, I just mean don't encourage iffy situations), it shows you really don't care that much.

My wife might at times (especially scenario #3) resent me for my attitude, but she also understands that I wouldn't feel that way if I didn't love her. If fidelity is something you value, one of the best things you can do is find someone who buys into YOU enough that you don't have to worry about yourself getting bored or your partner straying.

1 and 2, I can see your point. Number 3 seems a little controlling to me though; it was a female friend after all, but I guess it works for you guys.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

05 May 2010, 3:13 pm

@Danielismyname, I honestly don't think you're reading these posts. You are equating a negotiation within a relationship with an abuse of authority. In order for your perspective to make sense, the woman involved would have to have authority over the OP - which she clearly doesn't have. It's not abusive to make a demand - it's abusive to coerce or use other unsavory means to enforce compliance with a demand on an unwilling participant. That is not happening in this situation.

The OP has free will - if he thinks his SO's demand is unreasonable, he can refuse to accommodate her. That may signal the end of the relationship (or it may not - who knows?), but it's still his choice whether he'll acquiesce to her terms or not. That's why so many people who have posted in this thread disagree with you: making a demand simply does not equal abuse.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 3:21 pm

Personal opinion, both sides are being unreasonable. There is a need for privacy, and a forum to discuss things away from one's SO - absolutely, no argument. His violation of that shows a lack of trust, and a lack of trustworthiness. The decision to form that area for discussion in such a public and shared place as Facebook (which is known for privacy issues and is a social networking site not a private blog provider) wasn't the best. That does not justify his behavior, but does create an antagonistic situation that does not take into account the feelings or needs of one's partner. It is a matter of communication and expectation, and I think both parties were lacking here.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 3:32 pm

@Mak....I don't think Facebook is involved here?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 3:43 pm

HopeGrows wrote:

I think the term 'defriended' and another thread I had open contributed to that; I may even have responded on the wrong thread. Using new devices when you have paws for hands is frustrating. Will try to sort out when I have a bigger screen.

M.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 4:11 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
You're all still wrong people:

It's abuse to demand of an adult who they can or can't be friends with. If you're willing to compromise for someone's irrational insecurity, that's your choice. It's abuse for a male to tell a female who she can or can't be friends with, just as the converse is true. People can say, but plenty of males or females are like this! That just means they're all insecure and/or untrusting and abusers too.

The "right" thing is for the partner to let her position known without demanding anything. They can then talk about it. If the partner is so uncomfortable that she must resort to abuse, then she can leave, as the relationship has reached an unhealthy and untrusting point.

It's kinda sobering to see people think this form of abuse is ok. It's no different to any other forms of, as it's all for the sake of controlling a person for their own ends (which abuse is).

1)The girlfriend's insecurity is completely rational. The OP has already posted that the "ex-crush" is his ideal mate but the girlfriend was what he could get in the real world. Ouch! Also, the "ex-crush" is getting close to the OP's family, behaviour generally found in fiances.

2)Like Hopegrows said, the girlfriend can't actually make him stop seeing the "ex-crush". All she can do is say, "stop seeing her or we're through". It would only be abuse if she could make him, which she can't.

3)It's pretty much a moot point since the relationship is doomed anyway (in my opinion). The OP would rather be with the "ex-crush" but was friendzoned so he settled for the girlfriend. The girlfriend is second choice for him and she knows it. He won't commit to the girlfriend and so (like HG said), the girlfriend won't commit to him. She's essentially leaving the relationship by taking this position. Long distance relationships can work but only if both people are committed to each other. These two don't actually seem to be. I predict the relationship will end either right before she leaves or shortly after.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 4:38 pm

I am friends with exes and I talk about them a lot. Part of my problem with being a female aspe for me in partcular is that I dont really get on well with other females and I have few female friends. Anyone who goes out with me would have to tolerate the fact that I am in infrequent friendly contact with a few exes from years ago. I actually went to London to meet up wth two of them in 08.

I can also see why ex contact would make partners pretty uncomfortable though. It would depend on the situation, really. It depends how often you see them, what kind of relationshp you have now, whether you spend time alone together or if it is just some emails.. if you meet up if is better to have a friendly cup of coffee than meet in a smoky cocktail lounge, some types of friendships with exes are not appropriate.

Taking a break.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 6:26 pm

HopeGrows wrote:

I am confused about this as well... at first I thought it was an online thing she was asking for and then I read the posts and thought maybe I was wrong. If it is online I am against the defriending because it is a cheap gesture that is for cheap relationships that are insignificant. I would tell my SO that I will take a course of action one way or another in real life but that to use a cheap online gesture like that (which has been done to me and believe me it ended *any* relationship I had with the persons, whom I knew in real life) isn't appropriate or respectful enough of someone you have known this long. If the relationship means anything at all to a person it should not be ended via these means.

also it sounds to me like the SO knows she isn't really your first choice and she's calling your number here.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 6:55 pm

I think I know what thread makuranososhi was trying to respond to, and it wasn't this one. Carry on. :)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 7:25 pm

Kenjuudo wrote:
I think I know what thread makuranososhi was trying to respond to, and it wasn't this one. Carry on. :)

Help! Point me in the direction?

*laughing* Well, at least I'm not -completely- losing it today and can chalk that up to a lack of sleep in the past 72 hours.

M.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 8:00 pm

I think people have been reading a bit too much into the OP's posts.

I am a bit shocked at how little value people are putting on friendship. I would think that people around here mostly have a fair amount of difficulty making friends, and would understand how big of a deal being asked to discard half of one's friends at once would be.

I think there's also some misunderstanding about what monogamy is. It isn't throwing away any friendships your SO might want, it's fidelity and loyalty and dedication to that one person. It seems a lot of people think that it's being loyal to that one person by being disloyal to others.

@OP: While it's unreasonable to ask you to stop being friends, it isn't unreasonable for your SO to be concerned. It's also reasonable for her to ask you not to eat lunch with your female friend alone. See if you can negotiate some sort of definite rules to follow that will keep both of you happy.

Also, if the long distance thing is going to work, you are going to have to make sure to keep in very regular contact with your SO.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 8:36 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Kenjuudo wrote:

Help! Point me in the direction?

*laughing* Well, at least I'm not -completely- losing it today and can chalk that up to a lack of sleep in the past 72 hours.

M.

And an apparent abundance of paws. :lol:

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 8:44 pm

@Ancalagon, I really don't think your POV is very different from most of the people who've responded to this thread. I think the only difference is that most of the other responders acknowledge that there are times when commitment requires one to choose between one's primary relationship and other relationships. Eventually, the majority of committed relationships will involve that kind of decision.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 9:08 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
I am a bit shocked at how little value people are putting on friendship. I would think that people around here mostly have a fair amount of difficulty making friends, and would understand how big of a deal being asked to discard half of one's friends at once would be.

I think there's also some misunderstanding about what monogamy is. It isn't throwing away any friendships your SO might want, it's fidelity and loyalty and dedication to that one person. It seems a lot of people think that it's being loyal to that one person by being disloyal to others.

You said it here, dude. The OP might have an ASD, and as we all know, it's almost impossible to make a close friend if you have such. Friendship is equally important as romantic relations to one's mental health if someone desires peer relations.

And again, you said it there. Being with someone romantically, if it's monogamy, is being faithful and loyal romantically; said person will also be your friend too, of course. It isn't discarding friendships and bowing to any demand someone makes, and as I said, if it's an actual demand to discard a friendship [without any romantic ties], then that crosses over into abuse. It's cool to state one's displeasure at such, and hey, jealousy is a big thing that people feel, but that's all one can do without it going further. The SO can leave if she doesn't want the OP to have female friends, as that's her rightful choice.

My friend sinsboldly wrote:

Quote:
It wasn't bait, Daniel, it was a suggestion to you that you don't understand the concept of an adult monogamous relationship.

Ha, yeah, I totally don't understand what a romantic relationship with a single person entails. It's like...telling the chick I'm with that she can't talk to or be friends with males, even males she might find psychically attractive (hey, it's normal to admire others). That's it, right? O, and she also can't wear clothes that I think are revealing, as that's bound to draw the eyes of males, which might give her opportunities to cheat, because I totally don't trust her to be loyal and faithful. This is it, right? See, I'm mature and I know how it works.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 11:20 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
My friend sinsboldly wrote:

Quote:
It wasn't bait, Daniel, it was a suggestion to you that you don't understand the concept of an adult monogamous relationship.

Ha, yeah, I totally don't understand what a romantic relationship with a single person entails. It's like...telling the chick I'm with that she can't talk to or be friends with males, even males she might find psychically attractive (hey, it's normal to admire others). That's it, right? O, and she also can't wear clothes that I think are revealing, as that's bound to draw the eyes of males, which might give her opportunities to cheat, because I totally don't trust her to be loyal and faithful. This is it, right? See, I'm mature and I know how it works.

no, that is not correct, Daniel. Marriage is different from a romantic relationship with a single person. When you are finished dating or living together or just settling for someone with no commitment rather than being alone and want to marry, it is a mutual decision, a meeting of the minds and making of a contract with each other. One side doesn't dictate what the other will do, unless that is their thing and so both make the agreement.

Here is the boilerplate marriage vow. This is the concept of a committed relationship.

N (ame)., will you have this man/woman to be your husband/wife; to live together in the covenant of marriage? Will you love him/her, comfort him/her, honor and keep him/her, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, be faithful to him/her as long as you both shall live?

This is a promise and a vow to change your life to make and entity of one relationship out of two people. I was fortunate enough to enter into two such relationships.

Merle