Tension like I am going to burst - or die...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 9:31 am

I am feeling really tense and wound up, like maybe I am going to burst, or die of a heart attack, or just start shouting and hitting people. I went on holiday for two weeks to see relatives, and I think I am just peopled out - I need a warm, dark cave to go and hide in with some books and records.

I feel like I have done something really terrible, and every time I go out (shopping, collecting child from school) or go online I feel like I have done something bad and offensive.

I am also having bad dreams where everyone is complaining about me, and finding fault with everything I do (and things that are nothing to do with me), and people get cut up, and perhaps the police are going to come for me.

Any tips on how to "come down" from this tension?

Shamelessbookworm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 May 2010, 9:43 am

I like to sit in the absolute dark and breathe and pretend I don't exist for a while.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 10:16 am

StuartN wrote:
... I am just peopled out - I need a warm, dark cave to go and hide in with some books and records.

Seems like you know what the problem is, and what you need. Make it so! =0)

StuartN wrote:
I feel like I have done something really terrible, and every time I go out (shopping, collecting child from school) or go online I feel like I have done something bad and offensive.

I am also having bad dreams where everyone is complaining about me, and finding fault with everything I do (and things that are nothing to do with me), and people get cut up, and perhaps the police are going to come for me.

Basic anxiety reverb... you know intellectually the feelings and symbols have no basis, so just objectify them as signposts, keep a mental eye on them, and address the exhaustion and overwhelm with warm, dark, books and music. A weighted blanket might help the sensory jangles/overwhelm.

It's our way to go away for a while and recharge after a lot of people time and sensory stimulation. It's OK.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 12:07 pm

Lie down in a dark room by yourself & breathe deeply. If the tension builds enough it could affect your heart rate (dark chocolate can help lower blood pressure by the way). I'd lie for awhile in silence & than put on some music later. Your sensory system is probably just overwhelmed by this material environment called Earth.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 3:20 pm

Peko wrote:
Your sensory system is probably just overwhelmed by this material environment called Earth.

That is so true.

This tension has lasted more than a week. It is really disabling. I hate going out or interacting with anyone.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 3:22 pm

Go climb a mountain. I'm serious. Being out in the woods by yourself for a day could do you good.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 5:22 pm

Jump up down on the spot for a while.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 7:50 pm

I get that all the time.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 8:07 pm

Are you able to exercise? You may need to work off some of the tension. You could try gardening, walking, playing a sport, anything that occupies your body and your mind but it fun for you to do.

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2010, 8:42 pm

I used to sit in a closet. Not a cave, exactly, but it sure was nice and cozy. ;)

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 8:46 am

Athenacapella wrote:
I used to sit in a closet. Not a cave, exactly, but it sure was nice and cozy. ;)

Me, too!

Hope you're feeling better today, StuartN. :)