Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 9:25 am

American English isn't so bad, you just gotta get with the times ;p When they teach you in the textbook, no one speaks that in real life. But in most languages spoken and written language are always different. Even in Japanese, learners tend to run into this problem a lot where spoken Japanese is slightly different then written.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 11:01 am

The only thing I hate is the way people swear all the time these days. They don't just swear when they're angry or upset, they just say effing this and effing that in regular conversation. I also hate the way people use "s**t" in place of regular words. For example they can't just say "For lunch I had burgers and fries", they have to say "I had burgers and s**t". The literal mental image of that being conjured up in my mind is disgusting. I also really don't understand why when someone thinks you're really awesome or cool they'll say "You're the s**t", when the rest of the time people find literal feces filthy, foul-smelling and disgusting.

I think people are becoming like the Smurfs, only they would be called the S**ts instead. :lol:

And of course, if you complain, they say "they're only words". But words constantly affect the way we feel.