Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 4:45 am

I can't speak for other states, but it is bad in California. I think it is because of all the immigrants to this country that the language gets leveled out in standardization. But there is also too much slang and sloppy speaking. So on one side the language is too basic, and on the other it is too lazy. I guess it just depends on who is speaking.

...and there are too many slang words for "gay" and gay insults as such. Practically half the words can have some stupid double "urbandictionary" meaning that people use as insults and everyone is amazed with the clever wordplay.

does anybody agree with me on this? I really wish I knew a different language, and then leaned English as a second language.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:06 am

Hear...hear...I've lived in Australia since I was three and learned English as a second language when I started school.I couldn't pick up bad language habits at home because we only spoke Italian at home.

I remember being laughed at by other kids, well into my late teenage years, because I pronounced everything just so, the way I was taught at school.

Colloquialisms just bewildered me and I was never confident enough to use them myself.

However, once my own children started school and I began to mingle more, I started to pick up on the "Aussie slang" and even use it myself. I think I felt I had to so that I could "fit in".

No wonder I feel so much more relaxed and happy when I'm in the comfort of my own home. It's such an effort when you have to concentrate so hard just to try and understand what people really mean!... :roll:

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:06 am

I don't like that English writing is totally different than spelling. And it sounds like babbling, dumplings in mouth. I fear of English speaking Autism and Asperger. A rigret zat jor rajtin is not isjer :twisted:

Ok, it was little irony, but sometimes I really have problems with spelling :lol:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:10 am

I don't dislike any language, because all of us, from all over the world, are together as one, here at WP. 8)

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:18 am

I do not think the English language (as spoken in the US) is the problem. Homophobia and other bigoted thinking can be expressed in any language, I would think. Can you think of any other particular languages which do not have this problem?

On the other hand, I remember in the 60's and 70's, many tried to "raise the consciousness" of those who spoke English to overcome those words and phrases that do encourage stereotypes. Women's Liberation advocated using a different way of saying certain things. For example, instead of saying "Mankind" they preferred "Humankind."

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:39 am

I have to repeat myself twice to spanish speaking natural born American citizens. I have to repeat myself twice to most of the time to the regular non-bilingual employees at work, and they usually have to repeat twice talking to me. Obviously I'm sure alot of it has to do with me and the way I speak and process language, though I think this isn't just my problem.

I just think foreign non-native English speakers speak better English than we do. I can't speak for British or Aussies people since they have their own who abuse slang, but I think foreigners when can speak English fluently speak it better because they cut all the bullsh!t that most Americans can't speak a sentence without spitting out.

Im not saying that we should speak all proper and pretentious, but we could cut about 90% of the slang and lazy pronunciations.

Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2010, 5:55 am

It also happens to the Dutch language, it gets mixed up nowadays with Papiamento, Polish, Arabic, English.

For instance: shoes = schoenen in Dutch, but now "they" speak of patta's (Papiamento), or money = geld and is pronounced doekoe.

You need a course in Papiamento in The Netherlands before you can understand what everybody is saying.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 6:20 am

Every language changes. See any Medieval book, it's hard to understand!
I understand that people use new words. But I hate when somebody (native) can't use grammar and says pojszłem (like I goed instead I went )

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 8:57 am

There is good American English and bad American English.

ruveyn

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 9:43 am

Here in Kentucky it can get pretty annoying people around here tend to mix words together when they talk

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 9:47 am

Languages change.. when people get used to them then it usually becomes no big deal. I've noticed Russian people use a lot of English words as part of their vocabulary, and it sounds weird and horrible, but then again a lot of Russian words that people are used to have roots in French and Italian and German and few complain about those because they're used to them. I do despise American English spelling though, the British spelling is much more visually appealing.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 10:01 am

Celoneth wrote:
Languages change.. when people get used to them then it usually becomes no big deal. I've noticed Russian people use a lot of English words as part of their vocabulary, and it sounds weird and horrible, but then again a lot of Russian words that people are used to have roots in French and Italian and German and few complain about those because they're used to them. I do despise American English spelling though, the British spelling is much more visually appealing.

I agree why does the average American hate U's in Flavour, colour, and humour

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 10:08 am

American English doesn't exist, only Americans attempting to speak and write in our language and failing.

Colour has a U in it, FFS, as does rumour. And stop missing half the letters from the word doughnut (or "donut" as Americans say).

As for pronunciations, learn to say "route" properly.

BTW, this is a long read but it's very funny:

Quote:
To the citizens of the United States of America
from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

In light of your failure in recent years to nominate competent candidates for President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except Kansas , which she does not fancy).

Your new Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, will appoint a Governor for America with out the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded.

A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

(You should look up 'revocation' in the Oxford English Dictionary.)

1. Then look up aluminium, and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.

2. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'colour', 'favour' and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to s pell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix '-ize' will be replaced by the suffix '-ise'. Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up 'vocabulary').
------------------------

3. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as 'like' and 'you know' is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication.

There is no such thing as US English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell- checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of -ize.

-------------------

4. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.
-----------------

5. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be used for shooting grouse. If you can't sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're not ready to shoot grouse.

----------------------
6. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

----------------------
7. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

--------------------
8. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline)-roughly $10/US gallon. Get used to it.

-------------------
9. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.
-------------------

10. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. South African beer is also acceptable as they are pound for pound the greatest sporting Nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of British Commonwealth - see what it did for them. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

---------------------

11. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie Macdowell attempt English dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

---------------------

12. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body Armour like a bunch of nancies). Don't try Rugby - the South Africans and Kiwis will thrash you, like they regularly thrash us.
---------------------

13. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America . Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the South Africans first to take the sting out of their deliveries.

--------------------

14. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

-----------------

15. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).

---------------

16. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 pm with proper cups, with saucers, and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.

God save the Queen.

Epilefftic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2010, 11:05 am

ruveyn wrote:
There is good American English and bad American English.

ruveyn

Third generation, Middle class suburban American. I can understand most any English. I've lived in Japan, and my classmates were from Taiwan, China, Sweden, Switzerland, etc; So I'm very familiar with strange English. The only English I have trouble with is black English and Ebonics. This is just because I have no source to understand urban slang, so I don't know what some words mean, this really ruins some music for me.

As for my speaking, I have two Englishes; Normal, and Trying. Trying is when I am having a 'failure to communicate' with individuals, or if they are foreign. I have a very flat accent, speak softly and use clear phrasing. However, my normal accent is a byproduct of my upbringing.

My parents were from Queens,NY, and I spent a great deal of time with my cousins in 'Uptown' Long Island (See Fran Drescher). My Euro classmates asked me to use this so they could practice, they failed miserably.

Thahts becawz I tawk liek dis ahn LawnGuyLand. I would ordah somethin' liek cawfee or beeyah, and deez guys would be liek: "'ey yo! Why are ya tawking so fast?"
Forgetaboutit

Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2010, 12:08 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
To the citizens of the United States of America
from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
God save the Queen.

Hear hear!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 1:43 pm

I've seen British people horribly misuse the English language as well, so clearly it's not just an American thing.