Do you often feel ignored by the outside world?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

chelischili7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2010, 11:28 am

I want to know how others feel because I often feel this way. People state opinions that are meaningless or stupid, yet they receive positive responses toward their responses. This occurs not only in everyday life but also on FB. People I know request me to add them and then they will respond to stupid statements like "Popcorn!" but not to interesting articles and quotes. I think this world would be a better place if everyone had their views heard.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2010, 11:35 am

I know how you're feeling. I feel the exact same way. I'm pretty much a walking encyclopedia, but that's about it. People only take me seriously on matters relating to technology or history...otherwise the hell with me, my opinion doe not matter. I hate it. They would take any other person seriously...but nope...I'm the odd guy out. f**k autism.

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2010, 12:02 pm

With out a doubt, been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

It's like you are speaking a different language (which I think we are at times). And not only FB but online forums too. People will ask the dumbest question and get pages of discussion and someone asks an intelligent question or as you mention put up an interesting post and get nada.

Heck, just look at the posts here!! :wink:

JasonGone
Raven
Raven

10 May 2010, 12:51 pm

i was just allowing a similar thought to stew in my head the other day, and it was facebook that did it.
i am constantly linking news stories there and no one ever comments. in frustration i changed my status to "jason gone f#*$*@g hates you" and i had scores of people make comments.
then i knew i was right...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 1:34 pm

I used to feel that way, now i just live my own life, and let people live theirs.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 1:47 pm

I used to feel that way. Then I realized they were simply too stupid to understand anything I had to say, so now I ignore them.

Frankly, I wish the Effing world would ignore me. Anytime I have an interaction with the rest of the world anymore, it's because they're seeking me out to attack me, while I'm in my own home minding my own business.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 2:08 pm

After having similar experiences I figured they are really unimportant and trying to "enlighten" them is usually a waste of time. They believe whatever suits them or is popular or "cool" to think. Why waste time on them? Better spend it on something more gratifying and meaningful.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2010, 2:21 pm

I guess, by your definition, that would mean just about anybody is deemed unimportant. Therefore the best course of action is just not talking to anybody.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 2:24 pm

People only use me for math help in high school.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 3:24 pm

dt18 wrote:
I guess, by your definition, that would mean just about anybody is deemed unimportant. Therefore the best course of action is just not talking to anybody.

It's up to you to choose your associates. I highly doubt I could affect anyone so I stopped trying. :)

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:12 pm

I used to think it was because I'm better than people, like it was just obvious that I'm on a higher plane and the mere mortals cannot possibly understand my godlike musings with their pitiful brains made of meat. :evil:

Spent most of my life thinking that way. Not anymore though, doctors showed up to humble me.

Yes I get ignored all the time, and it doesn't make sense to me, and the getting ignored part hurts as bad as the not understanding why part. I can only take comfort in the idea that there's a separate universe called "Star Wars," and in that universe I make sense. :?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 May 2010, 5:31 pm

chelischili7 wrote:
I want to know how others feel because I often feel this way. People state opinions that are meaningless or stupid, yet they receive positive responses toward their responses. This occurs not only in everyday life but also on FB. People I know request me to add them and then they will respond to stupid statements like "Popcorn!" but not to interesting articles and quotes. I think this world would be a better place if everyone had their views heard.

I feel this way quite a lot. I tend to think people are kind of stupid sometimes

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

alana
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 6:54 pm

chelischili7 wrote:

that is the best short summation of facebook I have ever heard. Facebook is not the world though. Your experience there will vary greatly depending on what kinds of friends you have. It does seem a bit typical in terms of social dynamics though. Isn't it beyond bizarre that the things people talk about on there are things that pre-internet people would have found really boring to talk about? I'm starting to think it's a way to extend your popularity past high school, if you were a popular person. Because it kind of feels the same. Even though one weird thing for me on facebook is some of my older friends have 'got religion'. People I used to get drunk and high with all the time are now religious, one is a minister (albeit a gay minister), one is a missionary, the one that corrupted me the worst, lol. Etc.

I finally deleted mine, because facebook is just too boring and the CEO is creepy. And a disadvantage of it as you point out is it can make you feel. You friend a bunch of people from the past who post inane schlock and eat each other up, while you are posting deep things that are mind expanding, and you *feel* ignored. You have emotional reactions, that are, in my final conclusion, without merit. Luddites are populous enough in real life, why seek them out online, and then, worse, have them affect my emotional state. I really enjoyed reading the things that people on there who are thinkers posted. The only thing about people you don't know is you can respond to them a million times and they will never respond to you because they have 3000 friends and don't ever look at their feed. Plus famous people tend to have a narcissistic bent to them, so they are used to being the center and having adoring fans. I sent about three or four people notice that I was closing it down for good (people I considered real friends) and decided to let the other relationships go by the way of fate, if we run into each other again, fine, if not fine. I'd sent them all my e-mail address a long time ago though so if they are a friend of mine they probably kept it.

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2010, 7:07 pm

Nobody ever seems to listen to me at all. even in cases where they just paid for my advice on a technical matter.

I constantly feel frustrated and alone and like nobody could really care less if I'm even alive.

I would give just about anything for someone that I could have a real intelligent conversation with that would actually listen to me. I have a few friends that are old enough to be my parents but even with them I don't really feel like I fit in and often when I really need someone to talk to they aren't there or can't relate to what I'm dealing with.

Heh I guess I could do the whole shrink thing but I've been there too and they never listen either.. not really.

I mean really I feel surrounded by a world that just doesn't understand me at all and seems to be genuinely annoyed at my very presence. and the minute I have something to contribute on a topic that I actually know a great deal about I'm just totally blown off like they never even heard me say a word.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 7:40 pm

I know how you feel. People often seem to ignore me, even within my own family.

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2010, 8:16 pm

I feel more misunderstood than ignored.

but I know exactly what you mean.