Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 4:50 pm

Are you suggesting Satan died and came back as King Herod, etc.? Am I being way to literal?

The only asexual I was close to didn't have negative feelings about his own body at all, just no interest in exploring the sexual aspect. We dated and lived together for four years and were very much in love at one time. Asexuals can indeed fall in love, and unless both partners are asexual, it can cause a lot of unhappiness. Eventually we realized that we could not make each other happy -- I could not be an asexual and he could not be otherwise -- and split up. He lives a happy life with a good job, lots of friends, and no sexual partners. I have a happy life with a good job, lots of friends, and a wonderful guy whose sex drive matches my own.

Over history, people have chosen celibacy to devote themselves to something they feel is greater than themself. Celibate clergy are a good example, giving up the lusts of the body for the glory of G-d. But there have also been celibate artists, who devoted themselves wholly to their arts, celibate philosophers, celibate warriors, and so on.

While the Bible does say, "Be fruitful and multiply," nowhere does it condemn asexuality. And it also commands us to be good stewards of the Earth. By not adding children to the overpopulated planet, you are actually doing something good, something that the New Testament, at least, can be seen to condone.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 4:57 pm

rose-in-winter wrote:

Quote:
Are you suggesting Satan died and came back as King Herod, etc.? Am I being way to literal?

Yes you are. I was being intentionally absurb. Unlike existence which unintentionally absurd.

I was just thinking (in reverse chronological order) of a few historical and mythical lumanaries who MIGHT just be "evil" enough to deserve the living hell i've known for 40 years. :D

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:15 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
And yet again someone is linking morality with religion.

Ummm... Are you somehow surprised about this? Why?

No, not at all surprised. What made you say that? In fact, my reaction was a "not this again" more than anything else.

Quote:
Quote:
The two are distinctly apart.

They are actually quite thoroughly linked.

Linked by lies told by countless of liers over the centuries, who claimed to be men of God. Not linked in reality.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:20 pm

chelischili7 wrote:
I am curious how others view the subject of God and asexuality. I am both asexual and religious. I have not seen one piece of literature devoted to this subject. I do not fear anything since it is not immoral but it would be helpful to ascertain another's opinion.

Are you going to give us your own views? Like, why did you start the thread? What do the two have to do with each other to cause you to mentally connect them and ask about them?

From what I know (as a active participant in one particular Christian Church, and from what I've learned of other churches and religions), religions aren't so much interested in sexuality as sexual acts. Certain sexual acts are immoral. But, other than in some cases the condemnation of homosexuality, sexuality is ignored. Not how it should be, I think, but how it is nonetheless.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 May 2010, 5:20 pm

chelischili7 wrote:
I am curious how others view the subject of God and asexuality. I am both asexual and religious. I have not seen one piece of literature devoted to this subject. I do not fear anything since it is not immoral but it would be helpful to ascertain another's opinion.

I went to a Catholic high-school & my family is Catholic but not really religious. I'm a Secular Humanist thou. I was told in religion class in HS that people are not considered married till they have sex. I think that could also be related to why premarital sex is a sin & stuff. I'm a borderline asexual myself

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 10 May 2010, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:21 pm

chelischili7 wrote:

To the OP:

I think God is okay with people being asexual. That's the general idea I have from what I remember from the bible.

It's also okay to be sexual in the context of a committed relationship.

It's ok to have kids as long as you love and provide for them.

Sexuality is like fire, or a gun, it can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how it's used. It's also ok not to own one if you don't feel like it.

Those are my spiritually-derived opinions on sexuality.

My preference is asexual, I have the sex drive of lint and it's *such* a chore, no different from doing laundry.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:23 pm

I'm both very much a Christian and fairly asexual. I see no issue with the combination, and as far as I know, neither does God.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:31 pm

People in just about every "church of Christ" congregation I went to, have acted like all humans have zero desires until they get into a relationship, then they base sexuality off the sexual conduct, so they act like asexuals don't exist pretty much. Which I find obsurd, personaly. People are doing this sort of thing.

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 10 May 2010, 5:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:32 pm

Mysty wrote:
...religions aren't so much interested in sexuality as sexual acts. Certain sexual acts are immoral. But, other than in some cases the condemnation of homosexuality, sexuality is ignored. Not how it should be, I think, but how it is nonetheless.

The bible actually condemns a wide range of sexual acts. Modern "Christian" fundamentalists just pick on gays because they feel threatened and they need a scapegoat. I agree that's not the way it should be.

On the question of morality... As far as condemnation of "certain sexual acts..." You really have to consider the source. Consider the time and the people who made the rules, and what their overriding social goals were, and then their condemnations of homosexuality etc., make a little bit of sense in regards to what they were trying to achieve--nation building.

Those kinds of laws, whether secular or religious in tone, were not that uncommon throughout history. Even Augustus Caesar passed laws making it illegal to be a bachelor. Why? Increase marriages increase breeding. Nation building. Difference was he just made it illegal instead of making it a "sin." The writers of the old testament just made it a "sin" to go against their nation-building ethos to scare people into compliance in a more effective way than just making it illegal.

That's what I think anyhow. I could be wrong.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:44 pm

Dilbert wrote:
No, not at all surprised. What made you say that? In fact, my reaction was a "not this again" more than anything else.

Why "not this again"? Do you have a reason to think they aren't linked?

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:50 pm

This debate has come up again and again for, well, centuries. Religious leaders have drawn masses in partially due to their claims that religious=moral, while atheists have pointed out that this isn't so.

This argument is as old as theism vs atheism. It goes back to at least the Renaissance.

Here's my advice to all. Read many books with many points of view and make up your own mind. DO NOT read one book many times.

Nephesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 May 2010, 5:55 pm

It would seem to me as though the asexuals would be the one group that legitimately should become Catholic priests and not marry. The guys who find themselves with "unnatural drives" put themselves into the priesthood thinking that their vow will keep everything in check. It doesn't. Eventually their sexual nature seems to come out, maybe in a drive for each other, maybe in a drive for a nun, or another woman in the congregation, or maybe for a younger male or female - there have been cases of all of these patterns manifesting themselves.

Yes, religion and morality are linked. These priests know that what they are doing is wrong ("immoral"). None of them are running for a Bible to try and "prove" that their actions are morally correct. They are just doing the typical "if it feels good - do it" sort of logic - even though they know that the consequences may very well lead to severe punishment. (Even the death sentence back in Medieval times.)

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 6:18 pm

I am Chrstian and asexual. I'm asexual for personal reasons. I find hugging and kissing just as repulsive as intercourse. I don't need a man or another woman. I'm perfectialy happy being single. I made the desision I was never going to get married let alone have children at the age of four years old. I didn't want to be tied down and not be able to do things, I wanted to explore the world and children would prevent me from doing so. I also did not want to be a man's domestic slave.

I always knew I was asexual, I just didn't know there was a term for it. I wasn't intrested in boys but then I wasn't intrested in girls either. Humans and dolphins are the only animals that engage in intercourse for pleasure. I learned about intercourse in high school and was like "Yuck! Eww! He's supposed to put his what in my where? No way is that ever happening to me!" It seemed painful as well as unhygenic. I don't even like people touching my hands with their hands let alone the same part they use to urinate. No way am I giving up my virginity! I don't want children so why should I engage in sex?

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 6:58 pm

druidsbird wrote:
Mysty wrote:
...religions aren't so much interested in sexuality as sexual acts. Certain sexual acts are immoral. But, other than in some cases the condemnation of homosexuality, sexuality is ignored. Not how it should be, I think, but how it is nonetheless.

The bible actually condemns a wide range of sexual acts. Modern "Christian" fundamentalists just pick on gays because they feel threatened and they need a scapegoat. I agree that's not the way it should be.

The Bible never comments on homosexuality though. Homosexual acts, yes. But not homosexuality. But there are Christians who say that being gay is a sin. Which is silly since it isn't a choice. Other than perhaps the choice to accept oneself.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2010, 7:31 pm

chelischili7 wrote:

The science of Yoga has a great deal to say about precisely God and asexuality. Yoga means union with God. It is a scientific approach and based on proven facts.

If you are interested in learning about this, read the works of Paramahansa Yogananda from Self Realization Fellowship. He has written many detailed explicit logical expositions on this subject. Abstaining from sex and turning that energy to the Lord is a fundamental requisite to realizing God within oneself. The ancient religious practices in many cultures understood this, and true monasticism was a boon to a devotional prayerful meditational life.

Few have any idea of the intense correlation. Paramahansa Yogananda explains it lucidly and dynamically, very easy to understand, gives the answers to the mysteries of life and shows the way to true happiness.

I'm a Kriyaban disciple, asexual, celibate, a virgin, and an Aspie. Being an Aspie is a God-given gift of tremendous value on the spiritual path! Meditation involves concentration and one-pointed focus. Make God your special interest and inner heaven is there fast!

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 12:31 pm

Jesus might mention, or include, asexuals when he talks about people unfit for marriage (literally eunuchs) from mother's womb, in Matthew 19.

Is one of the definitions of asexuality that you may have a drive, but no wish for a sexual relationship? If so, I might be one.... :?