Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chelischili7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2010, 11:40 am

I am curious how others view the subject of God and asexuality. I am both asexual and religious. I have not seen one piece of literature devoted to this subject. I do not fear anything since it is not immoral but it would be helpful to ascertain another's opinion.

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 11:45 am

How do you know it's not immoral?

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 11:51 am

I'm asexual and an atheist. Being fairly liberal (in a non-political sense), I don't really see how any sexual orientation (or lack thereof) could be immoral.

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2010, 11:58 am

I'm an atheist, so I'm obviously not the best authority here, but I've personally never read/heard anything about asexuality and religion specifically. I do know that it's probably considered wonderful. Celibacy is usually considered to be holy by most monotheistic religions, and asexuality would be like a pure soul, because there's no need to force the celibacy.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 12:11 pm

wendigopsychosis wrote:
I'm an atheist, so I'm obviously not the best authority here, but I've personally never read/heard anything about asexuality and religion specifically. I do know that it's probably considered wonderful. Celibacy is usually considered to be holy by most monotheistic religions, and asexuality would be like a pure soul, because there's no need to force the celibacy.

Remember, though, that asexuality doesn't mean one can not submit to "lust". Masturbation is considered to break vows of celibacy sometimes, and an asexual may still take pleasure in that, or in a number of other things such as fetishes. Not quite a "pure soul".

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 12:15 pm

chelischili7 wrote:
I am curious how others view the subject of God and asexuality. I am both asexual and religious. I have not seen one piece of literature devoted to this subject. I do not fear anything since it is not immoral but it would be helpful to ascertain another's opinion.

Can't say i've given the specific matter much thought.

I am an atheist and let's just say i'm "semi-asexual" right now due to severe depression.

But...I've always hated human sexuality no matter what. I asked a psychiatrist if she would authorize chemical castration for me via Depo-Provera.

No luck there :roll:

Not at all because I feel i'm threat to anyone.

I just have no use for sexuality. My social skills, poverty level, etc....don't exactly make me too appealing to women.

And even if I was some Don Juan or something....I just don't see the point of sex other than procreation and I have NO desire to procreate.

It's a just crude, animalistic, physical/emotional pleasure which isn't anymore challenging or rewarding than eating a banana IMO.

Thus.....sex is just fundamentally pointless, shallow pleasure albeit a strong biological urge within me that I can't fulfill thanks to my brain.

That said.....my sex drive is just a worthless burden to me and one I wish I could be rid of entirely. Unlike the memory, talents and intellect I *should* have been born with.....I would not miss it.

That may be the one and only good thing that has come of my depression. My sex drive has decreased to almost nil.

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2010, 12:30 pm

Michael_Stuart wrote:
wendigopsychosis wrote:

Remember, though, that asexuality doesn't mean one can not submit to "lust". Masturbation is considered to break vows of celibacy sometimes, and an asexual may still take pleasure in that, or in a number of other things such as fetishes. Not quite a "pure soul".

True, I didn't think about that. I always forget masturbation is a sin. I wish they'd update that rule now that we know semen isn't finite.
I guess asexuality isn't perfectly pure, but it's definitely quite a big step closer than sexuality.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 12:32 pm

How a symptom relates to religion == Zero relevance to Aspergers/Autism.

Religious discussion -> http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum20.html

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 1:57 pm

I dunno where you're getting your religion, but the only reason celibacy is considered "pure" for anybody is that not having a romantic attachment can free you to serve God rather than being attached to your significant other. The celibacy itself is incidental; it's the focus on God that's what matters. If you're celibate because you're focused on your art or your WoW character, then there's nothing at all special about your choice.

There's nothing sinful about sex, nor about romance. In fact, the only time asexuality seems to be directly mentioned is when Paul talks about it, saying that if you're in love, it makes sense to get married, though he personally wishes more people could be asexual. The way it's written, it looks more like Paul figures asexuals are simply lucky--not necessarily any more virtuous--because it's easier for them to focus on God. (Paul himself was likely asexual.) The issue here isn't about sex at all; it's about attachment to a human being. If you love somebody, you are quite likely to put them before everything else--including God--and that makes you vulnerable to something very much like idolatry. If you aren't in love, on the other hand, there's not that other person potentially getting between you and God.

BTW. Asexuals can and do fall in love, and when they do, even this small advantage vanishes.

When it comes to AS and religion, I don't think it's particularly love we need to be worried about. A bigger issue for many autistics is whether they allow their special interests to take preeminence over God.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2010, 2:13 pm

Who says masturbation is a sin?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 2:15 pm

Historically, the Catholic church. They were wrong about it, though they haven't yet admitted it (they tend to be very slow to change); but since then the idea's become so prevalent that it's taken for fact by many people.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2010, 2:21 pm

Callista wrote:
Historically, the Catholic church. They were wrong about it, though they haven't yet admitted it (they tend to be very slow to change); but since then the idea's become so prevalent that it's taken for fact by many people.

its based on very bad exegesis

although masturbation while fantasizing about someone might be sin on biblical grounds

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 4:08 pm

Giving a person such as myself a sex drive was yet another way god cursed me :evil:

I believe god is a practicing Hindu and that I was a serial killer who lived from 1945-1969, Adolph Hitler, Gilles de Rais, Klingsor the black magician, King Herod and Satan in my previous lives :wink:

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 4:15 pm

And yet again someone is linking morality with religion. The two are distinctly apart. Look no further than priest abuse.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 4:30 pm

Dilbert wrote:
And yet again someone is linking morality with religion. The two are distinctly apart. Look no further than priest abuse.

Or what the world would be like if Pat Robertson, the pope, or Osama Bin Laden was in charge.

*shudders*

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 4:43 pm

Dilbert wrote:
And yet again someone is linking morality with religion.

Ummm... Are you somehow surprised about this? Why?

Quote:
The two are distinctly apart.

They are actually quite thoroughly linked.

Quote:
Look no further than priest abuse.

This is a non-sequitur. Priest abuse is a specific failing of a specific church as an organization. Some bishops in the catholic church have turned a blind eye to it, which I, and most religious people, find appalling.

I'm not a big fan of the catholic church, but painting all catholics with this brush is unjustifiable, much less all christians, much less all religious people.