The 11th Doctor and Autistic traits of fictional characters

Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Arachne
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 23 May 2010
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 15

24 May 2010, 11:39 am

This is my first post so I hope I don't trip over myself.
I am currently in a thought loop about this exact discussion, well the fact that we may be aliens.
I'm going to throw my theory out there and see what sticks!

It is my personal belief that we as autistics are the next evolutionary step in human development, (now whether that is the result of aliens seeding DNA over the four corners of the globe or the process of evolution we might never know) and because we as a society have reached a "Global" scale that DNA now has the opportunity to express itself, how many Aspies on here are of mixed genetic heritage? Is that why the Rates Of "AUTISM" are accelerating, is it the natural byproduct of the activation of the homo sapiens BOX Gene?

We are from what I can asses from reading ENDLESS testimonials and stories from other Aspies, more suited to a different environment than the one we were born in. Do we belong on another planet, or are we just the natural evolutionary step to adapting to THIS one. With Inevitable climate change and a possible "meltdown" of "normal" society, are we just kind of waiting in the wings for our genetic predecessors to kill each other off in an overly emotional burst of Panic? Leaving this planet as solely our responsibility.

We communicate in a way that requires a much more sensitive approach to our environment and our lack of emotional "HANGUPS" that slow down "normal" people. Lack of emotional control is a limitation in my opinion and we as Aspies seem to only lose our cool when confronted with an illogical emotional response by someone who is not capable of thinking on a Global Scale. We as aspies don't have any difficulties comprehending things like 4th and 5th dimensional states ( at least the ones I've met) because we don't think in a linear way.

I would love to hear some feedback on this if there are like minds for the discussion.

WE ARE TIME LORDS, we just haven't figured out how to build our Tardis, YET. :?:



Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 175

24 May 2010, 12:32 pm

Welcome to WP Arachne!

It could be true that Aspies are the next evolutionary step, people always wondered why they have a big brain and don't use it at full capacity, Aspies have more brain activity, more synapses, better detail and much much more.



TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

25 May 2010, 4:25 am

I think that's a very possible theory; and I've said much the same on these forums before.

However, I think many of us "drink a little too much of the Kool Aid" still, and would be wise not to.



lau
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,595
Location: Somerset UK

25 May 2010, 6:04 am

Arachne wrote:
... Is that why the Rates Of "AUTISM" are accelerating...

I can't agree with this. There doesn't seem to be much change at all, over recorded history, in the proportion of people who would (according to the current definitions) be considered to be on the spectrum.

Arachne wrote:
WE ARE TIME LORDS, we just haven't figured out how to build our Tardis, YET. :?:

OTOH, this may well be the case. I know I'd quite like a TARDIS... maybe I'll get one sorted out, by the end of this century.


_________________
"Striking up conversations with strangers is an autistic person's version of extreme sports." Kamran Nazeer


TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

25 May 2010, 6:27 am

lau wrote:
Arachne wrote:
... Is that why the Rates Of "AUTISM" are accelerating...

I can't agree with this. There doesn't seem to be much change at all, over recorded history, in the proportion of people who would (according to the current definitions) be considered to be on the spectrum.

Arachne wrote:
WE ARE TIME LORDS, we just haven't figured out how to build our Tardis, YET. :?:

OTOH, this may well be the case. I know I'd quite like a TARDIS... maybe I'll get one sorted out, by the end of this century.


Well, when I say the "Kool Aid", I believe basically that we have to stop getting so easily brain-washed by so many NT emotion-based scams. The reason I say this is because we feature the logical allowances to show us the truth that so many others will so happily ignore; we just have to be willing to use them, rather than be suckered in due to some desperation for acceptance, or whatever it is.



Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,808
Location: not here

25 May 2010, 2:30 pm

Arachne wrote:
This is my first post so I hope I don't trip over myself.
I am currently in a thought loop about this exact discussion, well the fact that we may be aliens.
I'm going to throw my theory out there and see what sticks!

It is my personal belief that we as autistics are the next evolutionary step in human development, (now whether that is the result of aliens seeding DNA over the four corners of the globe or the process of evolution we might never know) and because we as a society have reached a "Global" scale that DNA now has the opportunity to express itself, how many Aspies on here are of mixed genetic heritage? Is that why the Rates Of "AUTISM" are accelerating, is it the natural byproduct of the activation of the homo sapiens BOX Gene?

We are from what I can asses from reading ENDLESS testimonials and stories from other Aspies, more suited to a different environment than the one we were born in. Do we belong on another planet, or are we just the natural evolutionary step to adapting to THIS one. With Inevitable climate change and a possible "meltdown" of "normal" society, are we just kind of waiting in the wings for our genetic predecessors to kill each other off in an overly emotional burst of Panic? Leaving this planet as solely our responsibility.

We communicate in a way that requires a much more sensitive approach to our environment and our lack of emotional "HANGUPS" that slow down "normal" people. Lack of emotional control is a limitation in my opinion and we as Aspies seem to only lose our cool when confronted with an illogical emotional response by someone who is not capable of thinking on a Global Scale. We as aspies don't have any difficulties comprehending things like 4th and 5th dimensional states ( at least the ones I've met) because we don't think in a linear way.

I would love to hear some feedback on this if there are like minds for the discussion.

WE ARE TIME LORDS, we just haven't figured out how to build our Tardis, YET. :?:


Okay, seriously? This is probably the most crackpot thing I've read all day. Next stage in human evolution? People with Asperger's might be f*****g Time Lords? Either you're taking Doctor Who way too seriously or you need to lay off the drugs.

Wow....just, wow.


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.


TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

26 May 2010, 2:35 am

I think he's being metaphorical.



Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,808
Location: not here

26 May 2010, 10:54 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
I think he's being metaphorical.


Still, the idea of anybody being the next stage in human evolution is common pseudoscientific talk. And if ASD people are the next stage in human evolution, then why don't we have better social skills and physical coordination? What about lower-functioning ASD people?


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.


Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 175

26 May 2010, 11:58 am

Evolution comes with trial and error, sometimes evolution gets it right in just one generation and sometimes it takes several generations, maybe we are just the beginning. And do we really need social skills, it only clouds your judgement.



TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

26 May 2010, 5:39 pm

Basperger wrote:
Evolution comes with trial and error, sometimes evolution gets it right in just one generation and sometimes it takes several generations, maybe we are just the beginning. And do we really need social skills, it only clouds your judgement.


I partially agree with what you say about social skills: I see social skills as somewhat of a skill to cover up other deficiencies to people. Sometimes, the most popular people are so popular because their social skills are so good that whatever "demons" they have are swept under the carpet by others.

Social skills also seem to work better for people who focus more on emotional aspects; it's why people love good speakers rather than what good things poor speakers have to say.



Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 175

26 May 2010, 9:03 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
Social skills also seem to work better for people who focus more on emotional aspects; it's why people love good speakers rather than what good things poor speakers have to say.


That is why politics is all about marketing and not about politics.



TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

26 May 2010, 9:06 pm

Basperger wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:
Social skills also seem to work better for people who focus more on emotional aspects; it's why people love good speakers rather than what good things poor speakers have to say.


That is why politics is all about marketing and not about politics.


it's why any scam is all about marketing.



Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,808
Location: not here

27 May 2010, 5:30 pm

Basperger wrote:
Evolution comes with trial and error, sometimes evolution gets it right in just one generation and sometimes it takes several generations, maybe we are just the beginning. And do we really need social skills, it only clouds your judgement.


Yes, you do need social skills, unless you're planning on going into the woods and living off of the land. If you want a job, a significant other, or friends, you need to have social skills. Hell, going out in public requires at least some basic social skills.

Having Asperger's doesn't make you a special snowflake, and nobody is the next stage in human evolution. Get over it.


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.


Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 175

28 May 2010, 1:33 am

If you want to be an NT you need it, but I have Asperger's and proud of it.

A change in genetic structure is evolution.



TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

28 May 2010, 2:10 am

Basperger wrote:
If you want to be an NT you need it, but I have Asperger's and proud of it.

A change in genetic structure is evolution.


here here