The 11th Doctor and Autistic traits of fictional characters

Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 469

04 Jun 2010, 11:30 am

Delirium wrote:
redwulf25_ci wrote:
Delirium wrote:
O hay, look what popped up on Fandom Secrets today:
Image

I still don't think he's autistic (because, uh, he's an alien), but a lot of people with Asperger's/HFA said they could relate to him in the comments section.


Were they immediately pounce on by NT's "defending" the autistic community because the statement was somehow offensive to autistics? That reaction in the thread I linked to was what I intended the thread to be about.


No, not really. Basically, the detractors pointed out that diagnosing an alien with a human condition is illogical.

But you’re forgetting.

Amy Pond: You look human.
The Doctor: No, you look Timelord. We came first.

Humans are time lords! We are just not evolved to the same level yet.


_________________
Who says I only have one mind?


mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 469

04 Jun 2010, 12:05 pm

Sorry redwulf25_ci I got off topic. :cry:

NTs are all aout being TC. but what is being PC any more? I want to make jokes about being an aspie and did at an appleBees last night. I told the joke

"How many Asperger adults does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one, but he has to do three months of research first."

and the lady behind me started yelling at me about how bad it is to joke about people with autism and I should be beaten for making such a joke! even after I told her I do have aspergers and it is something I would do. she still went on about being PC.


_________________
Who says I only have one mind?


Last edited by mesona on 05 Jun 2010, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

04 Jun 2010, 9:59 pm

Delirium wrote:
mesona wrote:
Delirium wrote:
Basperger wrote:
Evolution comes with trial and error, sometimes evolution gets it right in just one generation and sometimes it takes several generations, maybe we are just the beginning. And do we really need social skills, it only clouds your judgement.


Yes, you do need social skills, unless you're planning on going into the woods and living off of the land. If you want a job, a significant other, or friends, you need to have social skills. Hell, going out in public requires at least some basic social skills.

Having Asperger's doesn't make you a special snowflake, and nobody is the next stage in human evolution. Get over it.

Ouch. I am not sure if your a NT or not. Think about it this way. If everyone was an Aspie, Then the friends around you like what you like and if they have a problem with what you said they will call you on it. the person your dating wont drop hints about what they are thinking or what they want to do. everyone will use words. You wont need to guess if the people you are with want you around or not. Facts will be facts and not just points of view. This site was MADE for people that are unable to read or use social skills. This topic is about the 11th Doctor and if he might be an aspie.


Actually, I have Asperger's and was diagnosed by a professional. However, my parents always stressed that even though I have Asperger's, I should at least make an effort to have social skills because it's hard to get ahead in life without them. If everyone in the world had Asperger's, it would be a really boring place to live, just like if everyone in the world was NT, it would also be boring.

And you have to develop social skills sometime. You can't live your entire life in front of the computer.

Quote:
I do think he is an aspie. Not because he is alien. (just look at the Master he is a alien and look what he did) but because of the food bit. (who else but an aspie would think it would be okay to have a little girl cook you a feast and toss it out?) and the Duck pond.


Time Lords are aliens. Judging an alien by human mental standards is ridiculous.



I see where you're coming from, but here's the thing: my family pretty much told me the same thing.

However, one thing I learned is no matter how much you develop your skills, it's not enough to them; you still come off as "different", and it turns people away.

I actually become very depressed, lost lots of confidence, and had low self esteem because of this.

Then, when I learned I was Autistic, and just focused more on being ME--rather than trying to be something I naturally wasn't--everything just seemed to fall into place, and I found growing into my skin a lot easier.

My mother desperately tried to be NT all her life, and it destroyed her; and by destroyed her, yes--I mean it took her life in the end.



TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

04 Jun 2010, 10:06 pm

Blasterx343 wrote:
The earlier Doctor's showed much more "Autistic" traits, the common fictional characters given the aspie or autistic label are Artemis Fowl and that boy from the "Evil Genius" series (read the book before anyone starts on the mad scientist stereotype).

With the theory of Autism being an evoloutionary path, it is possible but we are still human, the social skills are only needed so that the NT's can cooperate. This does not make them bad or unnecessary,

And Evolution is not always about overall superiority it is more often about specialising, finding the niche that fits us perfectly and makes us succesful. A NT will always be the more successful in social situations, but most of us have something at which we can run rings around NTs at, wether it is special interests, maths or other parts of science or even arts (as in the UNIVERSITY sense, history, languages etc.).
This means that if it is evolution to be an aspie it is not necessarily an overall advantage but a specialisation that makes us better at some things and lousy at others.


I think part of your speculation is a bit wrong, and let me explain why:

you say "if we Aspies were to start a society I predict it would topple in about 3 days from every one arguing. Social skills are necessary at least to act as a buffer between people."

that may be partly true--at least for the time being, but that's because we're sort of used to a world run by NTs & designed for NTs. However, if we are indeed the next stage in evolution, that doesn't necessarily mean we're the final step in that particular step..it just means we're in the "testing" stages shall we say.

It may not be considered an overall advantage in terms of trying to work with the rest of the world on their level; but, if you're willing to tap into the mental capabilities that are there for you--and I assure you it certainly takes work--you may in fact be able to comprehend ideas that most NTs will "drool at the mouth" trying to understand. I should know...I've attempted explaining, and I can't get them to understand. It always winds up collapsing into some stupid argument on the level of some hacks you'll hear from Fox News or CNN or something like that.

If you want to know how to work with them without actually compromising either your values or your natural abilities, read the 48 Laws of Power, and observe how people act, and the things they'll do; soon enough, you'll know it damn pat, and can work around the annoyances and use all your experiences to your advantage.

It really just takes observation, analyzation, and lots of cognitive thinking--not to mention growing into one's skin--to pick up on the possibilities.



Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 175

05 Jun 2010, 12:29 am

As always, we agree on the subject TheDocter82, nothing to add this time :)



redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 263
Location: Michigan

05 Jun 2010, 1:24 am

Delirium wrote:
redwulf25_ci wrote:
Delirium wrote:
O hay, look what popped up on Fandom Secrets today:
Image

I still don't think he's autistic (because, uh, he's an alien), but a lot of people with Asperger's/HFA said they could relate to him in the comments section.


Were they immediately pounce on by NT's "defending" the autistic community because the statement was somehow offensive to autistics? That reaction in the thread I linked to was what I intended the thread to be about.


No, not really. Basically, the detractors pointed out that diagnosing an alien with a human condition is illogical.


It is in some ways which is why most people will say "has traits similar to autism". On the other hand Timelord psychology and physiology are similar enough to humans as is there culture in many ways that it wouldn't be illogical for them to have a similar condition.



Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 175

05 Jun 2010, 7:01 am

Maybe the evolution on Gallifrey followed the same steps as human evolution, that also explains The Doctor's strong attractiveness (not emotional/sexual) to Earth and it's human beings.



mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 469

05 Jun 2010, 6:58 pm

Basperger wrote:
Maybe the evolution on Gallifrey followed the same steps as human evolution, that also explains The Doctor's strong attractiveness (not emotional/sexual) to Earth and it's human beings.

If you think about it, all humanoids we see seem to be human. Only difference is the time of their evolution. So following that logic. If it acts like an Aspie, Talks like an Aspie and keeps score like an Aspie. Then it is an Aspie! Or a big cacti/fish lady in a shimmer.


_________________
Who says I only have one mind?


Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2010
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 879

07 Jun 2010, 4:56 pm

Delirium wrote:
The Doctor is an alien. Of course he's going to act kind of "off."


Yeah, he's from the RIGHT Planet...or space continuum, wherever it is the Time Lords are from.

AH, now I know what to bring up for dinner conversation tonight. We can brush up on our Time Lord History. My husband can refresh my memory.



DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,011

07 Jun 2010, 11:46 pm

mesona wrote:
I want to make jokes about being an aspie and did at an appleBees last night. I told the joke

"How many Asperger adults does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one, but he has to do three months of research first."

and the lady behind me started yelling at me about how bad it is to joke about people with autism and I should be beaten for making such a joke! even after I told her I do have aspergers and it is something I would do. she still went on about being PC.


Today I couldn't answer a homework question about a hypothetical two-state classification system without first wasting all the time I had allotted for homework reading up on superfluids and fermions and trying to figure out whether or not there was such a system so I could answer questions about it. (Mostly it was because the question turned out to be asking me to just randomly come up with a system. Bad idea.)

But anyway, I beg to differ. Why can't you just accept the light bulb the way it is, rather than trying to make it conform to your narrow standards of "normal" for no better reason than that it's more convenient for you to have light?! Haven't you ever considered whether or not the light bulb wants to change? Maybe it's happy being dark!

:wink:


_________________
I'm using a non-verbal right now. I wish you could see it. --dyingofpoetry

NOT A DOCTOR


Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 175

08 Jun 2010, 1:38 am

DandelionFireworks wrote:
mesona wrote:
I want to make jokes about being an aspie and did at an appleBees last night. I told the joke

"How many Asperger adults does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one, but he has to do three months of research first."

and the lady behind me started yelling at me about how bad it is to joke about people with autism and I should be beaten for making such a joke! even after I told her I do have aspergers and it is something I would do. she still went on about being PC.


Today I couldn't answer a homework question about a hypothetical two-state classification system without first wasting all the time I had allotted for homework reading up on superfluids and fermions and trying to figure out whether or not there was such a system so I could answer questions about it. (Mostly it was because the question turned out to be asking me to just randomly come up with a system. Bad idea.)

But anyway, I beg to differ. Why can't you just accept the light bulb the way it is, rather than trying to make it conform to your narrow standards of "normal" for no better reason than that it's more convenient for you to have light?! Haven't you ever considered whether or not the light bulb wants to change? Maybe it's happy being dark!

:wink:


I feel bad for the light bulb, it does not have a choice, it's under human control who decides for it to be dark or give light (and many more possibilities for use of the light bulb). Is there a light bulb rights association? :D



Moony
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 287

08 Jun 2010, 9:23 pm

Kiley wrote:
Delirium wrote:
The Doctor is an alien. Of course he's going to act kind of "off."


Yeah, he's from the RIGHT Planet...or space continuum, wherever it is the Time Lords are from.

AH, now I know what to bring up for dinner conversation tonight. We can brush up on our Time Lord History. My husband can refresh my memory.

He's from Gallifrey.


_________________
I prefer to believe that the universe is fundamentally absurd, and if I ignore it, it might go away.
Never assume everyone's better off than you, that's unfounded optimism.
15 and diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome


DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2008
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 650
Location: New England

10 Jun 2010, 8:47 am

yes cause any character or famous person who was different from the what you consider the "norm" automatically has some form of autism. god you people are f*****g stupid


_________________
add me on facebook


jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 9 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 225
Location: Newport, Rhode Island

10 Jun 2010, 12:54 pm

DiabloDave363 wrote:
yes cause any character or famous person who was different from the what you consider the "norm" automatically has some form of autism. god you people are f***ing stupid


:!:

Could it be that perhaps people are looking for a hero with similar qualities shared by themselves? I find it worrisome that you come in with such negativity and offer nothing but vitriol to a productive discussion.



TheBatDan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 5

14 Jun 2010, 9:47 am

The Doctor is an alien. We just relate to him. Now if we were discussing a character such as Anthony Hopkins' in The Remains of the Day this discussion would be more valid.