Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 11:35 am

I know this is a stupid question since every College is different but I thought I'd ask here anyway and give an idea of what I might want to do career wise. Yes I'm still saying research Psychology but as I've said before parents are DEAD SET against me taking a Psychology course (don't worry I'm considering looking on a bulletin board and seeing if anyone is looking for roommates but that's when/IF I get back in not before scheduling courses) I was thinking the following

Speech (I took part of this before being kicked out out of 4/5 speeches I did 1 and got a B so IMO If I finished I would of surely gotten an A) IMO this is an easy A (do a speech on a family recipe and toss in a speech on Psychology perhaps) :-)

Statistics (Again was also doing this course we had just started probability I found this course IMO from what I had started ALOT easier than College Algebra that was HELL! Surely I would at least got a passing grade and you NEED statistics if you are getting into research)

Foriegn Language??? (NO SPANISH!) My sister suggested another language or sign language (I remember trying to learn Latin back in grade school for home school perhaps pick that back up again just for kicks I remember Six=Sex (Yes Six is Sex in Latin ROFL!) Or sign language (I'm not planning to deal with the deaf but I love typing/tossing a ball fiddling with my hands as a stim so maybe sign language could become a form of stimming (become relaxing etc.)

(When it comes to research I want to learn a little about the brain and go the behavior/brain connection) so was thinking Human anatomy but that's the whole body and IMO MIGHT be boring OR it might not (not sure which) On the plus side I could write that brain anerhism paper idea I have and I could write it over the summer (get together and study with that friend) So I'd get a paper done before anyone else that's a HUGE plus. and learning other functions of the body might be slightly interesting (although I have NO INTEREST in studying any of them.)

(Sorry nothing neurology based. :-( This is general course work the AA degree BTW)

Thanks WP. Any more ideas let me know or do these 4 class ideas sound ok? (I'll check with a counselor of course but I thought I'd check WP before doing that to get your opinions perhaps some of you have done some of these courses and can give info. etc. on what your experience with them was like. Thanks!! !

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 7:01 pm

Psychology can be seen as the intersection of sociology and biology, so you should take those courses as well. Human anatomy is also important. The brain and mind do not operate independently of the body. If you are going to understand how people think, you will need to understand how bodies work also. The mind/body connection is real and thoughts affect the body, just as the body affects thoughts. So you really need human anatomy. At a later point (after sociology) you should also take anthropology. And English, because you need to hone writing skills for research papers.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 9:32 pm

thanks. I've already taken English 1 and 2 my grammar sucks but I get my words/ideas onto paper which is the main point. I was I heard here on WP someone mention they wish they would of gotten into Biology but I read the synopsis on the College website and it mention cells (I could CARE LESS about your cells! and what type of paper I'd write for a Biology course is beyond me!) Never thought of Anthropology Sociology sounds good I'll look into that. Thanks.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 11:19 pm

Speech/Public Speaking-if you haven't completed it yet, it's probably a good idea. It's a requirement for most schools, and a good choice if you go into a psych career...presenting research, lecturing, etc. I don't know why you were kicked out of your classes, but consider taking it online if that would correct the problem.

Foreign language-what language you take really depends on your interest, but I want to take Latin. I would presume the teacher won't speak in Latin all the time like some professors only speak in the language they're teaching. It helps with your vocabulary because you have a better understanding of the root meaning of words. As for foreign language being a requirement, that differs a LOT with each school.

Statistics-yes, you need this as a psych major or someone who is going into psych or research. You need college algebra as a prerequisite. Stats is a lot of word problems (which I'm not good at) so I never took it.

Biology-I know you said something about not being interested in it, but if you think you're going into psych then you should take it. You'll need some sort of science to fulfill requirements anyway, and Bio will be the easiest unless you just really enjoy math. I just finished Bio I and just loved it. Just FYI, we only did one chapter on the cell. You will study some on the endocrine and nervous system which is part of psychology. I haven't taken Bio II, but it seems to get more interesting. Oh, almost forgot...you study evolution in Bio. Very important to understand as there are quite a few evolutionary theories in psychology.

Philosophy-I don't know that this will help fulfill a requirement unless you're going to a liberal arts college later or going for a B.A., but it's just a fun class. I took it just to remain full time and enjoyed it so much. I found out I never understood what philosophy was, and I've fallen in love with it since that class. The critical thinking you learn is useful in any discipline you go into.

I don't know how you sign up for classes at your college (at mine I can sign up mostly online), but your adviser can recommend some good classes for you to take. Also, my #1 advice is the teacher makes the class. Even if the subject is exactly what you want, if it's a sucky teacher it isn't worth it at all.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 11:38 pm

I am studying I agree that you should take Statistics and biology. If you go on and do psych in university you will need these courses, and then you'll do really well because you have a foundation for them. I also really enjoyed Biology. Anthropology is really interesting too. Good luck. =)

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 4:27 pm

Why are the parents against psych? My parents didn't want me taking too many art classes, which I guess I can understand, considering the job opportunities... But there's tons of possibilities with psych research.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 4:41 pm

Sedaka wrote:
Why are the parents against psych? My parents didn't want me taking too many art classes, which I guess I can understand, considering the job opportunities... But there's tons of possibilities with psych research.

I got to obsessive/interested in it (Parents don't understand Aspie special interest) but as others have said I can get a foundation and learn Statistics/Biology (maybe give speeches around psychology aswell.) :-) We'll see what happens. :-) Really psyched to try human anatomy (Study parts of the body more focus of the brain to be exact) IMO it'll be a fun challenge. :-) (With psychology I found more interesting info.stuff etc. from a podcast than anything I learned in that teacher's class LOL!)