Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 12:09 pm

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/14 ... ged-051210

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 4:03 pm

This is already being covered in another thread. That said, it's times like this that make me glad I'm already out of the public school system. And God help any fool teacher who dares to accuse my children like this x years from now.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 4:47 pm

I'd be freaked out if I was the teacher and saw that.

I don't know if I'd press charges myself, but I would definitely report it to the school and ask to have the child removed from my class. The school might be required by law to report the incident to the police.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 5:02 pm

Felony?

FELONY?!?!?!?!

I sincerely hope whichever judge sees this case in court has the wisdom to dismiss the charges. This goes beyond absurd and into some sort of Kafka-esque horror. Really. The charges in Kafka's "The Trial" made more sense than this.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 8:22 pm

Quote:
"I think there needs to be some sort of common sense used with the school system. That a 14-year-old autistic boy who does not understand what he's done or what he's drawn, has an IQ of 75 should not be charged with a felony. It's outrageous," Finn said.

O, I'm sure he knows what he's done.

However, that's not the point. Drawing pictures does not a felony, or even a simple crime doesn't make.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 10:10 pm

OMG I must be a terrorist too, I would draw stick figures of me dropping an H bomb on my
grade 2 teacher, or poking her with a bayonet. What kid hasn't drawn all sorts of mayhem
on a mean teacher. For christ sakes the poor little fella only has an IQ of 75, I think the
idiots making the charges have a combined IQ of 75 :roll:

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2010, 6:29 am

I drew stuff like that in school all the time. Id have so many felonies by now. One time In class I had a wart on my finger and ripped it off with a paperclip during a test. I got blood everywhere and started writing the test in blood. I was not allowed back in that class. I was also a 20 year old third year senior at the time. I have also been fired from a telemarketing job the day after I drew a detailed picture of the apolyspe and showed it to other employees. Im not sure if this was related. I worked there for a week.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2010, 7:58 am

A felony charge is ridiculous, but I can't blame the teacher for getting upset and I can't blame the school for over-reacting.

Despite the fact that he has limited mental capacity, he's still 14. I used to draw pictures of bad things happening to my bullies when I was nine, but I never drew a direct association of myself causing the actions. And I once drew a picture of the school on fire, but I knew that I would get in trouble, so I merely drew myself thinking of it. Although maybe that was more disturbing...but I digress.

But a 14 year old boy drawing those types of pictures would raise much more suspicion than a 9 year old girl.
It's entirely possible that a 14 year old could bring a gun to school and do what he wanted to do with it. Depending on the area, guns might be easy to acquire. Many schools are paranoid after multiple instances of teens engaging in random, public shootings. They would rather give an innocent student a hard time than risk leaving them alone and have them go postal one day.