Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

YakovHarkonnen
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2010, 8:02 pm

Simple question. I see this thread has it's usual run of cynical conservatives and idealistic liberals. How many libertarians are among us? Frankly, I'd feel a lot safer here if I knew there were others out there who thought both the left and the right wings are full of morons :)

And to give us some more talking points, libertarians, how do you think the Obama presidency is going, and how does it stack up to the last guy?

Thandurin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2010, 8:13 pm

I'm sure there are a few around here somewhere but I imagine they are busy tearing each other apart over just how much government they are willing to tolerate. Sweeping generalizations are fun.

YakovHarkonnen
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2010, 8:18 pm

Quote:
I'm sure there are a few around here somewhere but I imagine they are busy tearing each other apart over just how much government they are willing to tolerate. Sweeping generalizations are fun.

Oh my yes, they are. Made my opening post so much easier :lol:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 8:35 pm

Thandurin wrote:

That's exactly why I don't come here to express my political ideologies. Though I wouldn't count myself as a full libertarian, I think it's ridicules such as this that cause political extreme oppositions. /:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 8:42 pm

There are a few of us around here, we tend to be the ones talking sense in the madhouse... :wink:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 9:13 pm

I don't think I'd call myself a libertarian - I'm more classical liberal or mild libertarian really. :)

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 9:24 pm

I think any political philosophy would work just dandy if not for the human tendency to greed, laziness and power mongering. Each political faction idealizes what ought to be rather than what is.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 9:58 pm

I'm a republican that occasionally votes for a libertarian if a republican candidate is indistinguishable from their democratic rival. I'll probably vote for the libertarian for governor of California this election because the big 3 candidates REALLY suck this time.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Thandurin

15 May 2010, 10:08 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Thandurin wrote:

That's exactly why I don't come here to express my political ideologies. Though I wouldn't count myself as a full libertarian, I think it's ridicules such as this that cause political extreme oppositions. /:

I was poking fun at the OP's generalizations of other political ideologies with one of my own. It wasn't a serious dismissal or insult hence the "generalizations are fun" addition. I respect the ideals behind libertarianism, just I found the OP's statements about other political ideologies rather silly and thus gave a silly answer.

YakovHarkonnen
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2010, 1:42 am

Quote:
I was poking fun at the OP's generalizations of other political ideologies with one of my own. It wasn't a serious dismissal or insult hence the "generalizations are fun" addition. I respect the ideals behind libertarianism, just I found the OP's statements about other political ideologies rather silly and thus gave a silly answer.

You don't think there are seriously stupid, warped people on both wings of the political spectrum? Would it be less silly of me to say that only one of the wings are full of morons?

Not trying to disrespect, I get what you are saying, but I'm a little perplexed by how anyone can find what I said all that ridiculous. Yeah, it's a sweeping generalization, and I largely said it to illustrate that I have serious complaints with both major strands of political thought. That said, I can demonstrably PROVE to you beyond a shadow of a doubt that both movements are filled with crackpots. Not saying all of them are, but the ones who have the most influence on the left and the right tend to be two different varieties of idiot.

Just my opinion :o

Epilefftic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2010, 2:13 am

I am a bit on the extreme side of Libertarianism when it comes to the federal government, but find I am much more flexible and tolerant of laws passed at the state level. I figure I can always move to a new state, but I love America, it is my home and federal laws make me feel trapped.

Thandurin

16 May 2010, 2:21 am

YakovHarkonnen wrote:
That said, I can demonstrably PROVE to you beyond a shadow of a doubt that both movements are filled with crackpots. Not saying all of them are, but the ones who have the most influence on the left and the right tend to be two different varieties of idiot.

I agree with you on that, I merely disagree that libertarianism is the exception.

YakovHarkonnen
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2010, 2:24 am

Quote:
I agree with you on that, I merely disagree that libertarianism is the exception.

Ah. That makes more sense. No, libertarianism is no exception, I can see how I might have implied otherwise.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 3:10 am

I have been a small "l" libertarian for decades. I believe there are no good governments anywhere on earth and there never have been any good governments. There are only bad governments and worse governments. And for that reason governments should be small.

ruveyn

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 8:11 am

I generally consider myself to be libertarian, but I am flexible because I know not ideology alone has all the answers.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 11:33 am

Me!

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.