Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 10:37 pm

Don't know if anyone knows about this movie already.

But, a film called "Chocolate" is about an autistic woman with "powerful martial arts skills" who protects her mother from a gang.

The clip available online looks good. The movie is available for download at Amazon (video on demand.)

One review says the film is a Thai production. The film is from 2008. I haven't seen it but it might be worth a look into.

ED-209
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 May 2010, 5:02 pm

Yup, I know about it. It's from Thailand and directed by the same guy that made the Tony Jaa films "Ong Bak" and "The Protector(aka Tom Yum Goong)". It's a fun martial arts film, but not as good as the 2 Jaa films. I wouldn't recommend it for any insight into autism, it's martial arts film, not a serious drama.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 7:03 pm

ED-209 wrote:
Yup, I know about it. It's from Thailand and directed by the same guy that made the Tony Jaa films "Ong Bak" and "The Protector(aka Tom Yum Goong)". It's a fun martial arts film, but not as good as the 2 Jaa films. I wouldn't recommend it for any insight into autism, it's martial arts film, not a serious drama.

I agree. I would recommend it to watch for entertainment value though as it's quite a good movie.:)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 11:29 pm

I really enjoyed it and thought it was better than Ong Bak. I haven't seen Ong Bak II or The Protector yet.
I'm told that Chocolate II is in the works. Also a movie with the girl from Chocolate and Jaa together is coming. I'm looking forward to both.

One thing I really liked about Chocolate is how the girl changed fighting styles. She was supposed to have learned from watching movies and if you have watched many martial arts movies you will appreciate her "impersonations." She fights first in the style of Bruce Lee, then Jackie Chan (my favorite fight sequence of the movie!), then Jet Li, then finally Tony Jaa. The versatility was impressive and her fighting styles really "spoke" out loud. She is a talented martial arts actress and since there are so few of those these days, she stands out even more.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 11:06 am

I've just finished watching it on youtube.
OOOOOH that was a good film.
That girl is badass and never gave up, she even overcame her fly phobia.
I thought it was really sad when she first found out her mum was losing her hair :cry: made me go all tearful that did.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 12:22 am

If you watch it keep it on until they show some of the outtakes at the end. It's just brutal what these actors went through to film this movie.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 12:27 am

DarrylZero wrote:
If you watch it keep it on until they show some of the outtakes at the end. It's just brutal what these actors went through to film this movie.

Yeah, stuff where in Hollywood they would have been falling on big inflatable mats, they're just falling straight onto hard concrete! Those actors have mega-guts to work like that! And you see them all visit one guy in the hospital who's really messed up from one of the falls. Gives me a lot of respect for what they do for their art over there!

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.