Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dizzeh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2010, 1:03 am

GumbyLives wrote:
I know it's possible to get back to an old obsession - I've done it over and over again. The difference, I think, was that I approached it differently as I got older (and one hopes, wiser). You named political theory, for example. I obsessed on that when I was a teen, then again later when I was late 20s, then again later in my early 40s, and lately I've been getting interested again. But I don't see or understand it now like I did in those earlier times (I see a bigger picture now, and have added a lot more knowledge since). So one could argue that returned obsessions can be even more satisfying.

Reading this just made me feel ecstatic, it's an odd sensation to describe. 8O

I had always figured that the burn out was pretty permanent and you can never really get that 'spark' back. I've been really really thinking about getting back into sketching the last few days but was so afraid of burning out almost immediately if I tried. I think I just don't want to tarnish the good memories I had associated with it, but I know I could really do some impressive work if I was able to get so focused into it like I once was.

I'm not sure if the best approach is to just fearlessly dive back into it or wait until I'm feeling a bit more rational and plan my dive a bit better. :oops:

Element333
Raven
Raven

03 Jun 2010, 10:25 pm

Dizzeh wrote:
GumbyLives wrote:
I know it's possible to get back to an old obsession - I've done it over and over again. The difference, I think, was that I approached it differently as I got older (and one hopes, wiser). You named political theory, for example. I obsessed on that when I was a teen, then again later when I was late 20s, then again later in my early 40s, and lately I've been getting interested again. But I don't see or understand it now like I did in those earlier times (I see a bigger picture now, and have added a lot more knowledge since). So one could argue that returned obsessions can be even more satisfying.

Reading this just made me feel ecstatic, it's an odd sensation to describe. 8O

I had always figured that the burn out was pretty permanent and you can never really get that 'spark' back. I've been really really thinking about getting back into sketching the last few days but was so afraid of burning out almost immediately if I tried. I think I just don't want to tarnish the good memories I had associated with it, but I know I could really do some impressive work if I was able to get so focused into it like I once was.

I'm not sure if the best approach is to just fearlessly dive back into it or wait until I'm feeling a bit more rational and plan my dive a bit better. :oops:

Same thing happened to me recently. I've let go of some of my obsessions that I worked at for years because I was so depressed that I no longer found the joy in them. After a long period of doing absolutely nothing except sleep or stare off into space, I began painting in oils and acrylics again after many years. I didn't try to find it, either. I was just digging through the hall closet one day and found a set of oils and brushes, and out of sheer boredom, I bought some canvas and began doing landscapes. It feels good to have something to do again.

E333

ADHDorASDorBoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2010, 11:12 am

I've never really had a hobby at all. Just a fixation.
Playing doom on the playstation1 in 1997 with a relative for 5 hours at a time on a deathmatch or coop mode with a link lead (2 tvs, 2 playstation) etc was great for passing the time.

I played video games from 5 until about 24 with great enthusiasm (fixation)
from 24 until 30 it was tolerable but less exciting.
by 30 and now 35 I'm not interested. It's all a chore. call it depression, call it boredom, call it realisation that I don't fit in with "normality" not that I think everyone is so normal and as good as I thought it was anyway anymore. The fact is if I get killed tomorrow, it will be a great thing, not that I will feel it at the time. If I don't get killed, oh well, another day passes.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, its just one big flatline, or is it? anyway.....zzzzzz

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2010, 6:58 pm

I know that I've been using interests to preoccupy my time from lonliness. I feel that if I'm preoccupied, then I won't worry about not having close friendships and not come across as too eager. Too many times have I been hurt, and too many bad experiences. I've grown to the point where I can pretty much tell sooner or later right away who is worth hanging around with to build a friendship, who is an acquaintance, and who I should try to stay completely away from or only to work with them only when I have to.