Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

TheDeviantOne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 May 2010, 12:11 pm

One of the common traits of Asperger’s is having an interest in repetitive tasks. Based on what I read from various people around here, they can stand to do the same thing over and over. So instead of going over that, are there people who whom just can’t stand repetitive tasks?

I feel like I’m very easily bored and repetitive tasks can quickly bring me to boredom. I can usually barely stand to re-watch a film that I just seen regardless how well it hooked me in. It’s like the only thing that keeps me interested is not knowing what happens next and thus, I tend to not get nearly the same enjoyment if I already know what’s gonna happen. That’s not always quite the case with say, certain episode based online videos.

Same thing tends to happen with replaying finished video games if I’m not able to change up how I play again. I don’t want to play through for hours if I pretty much have to win in the same ways again unless it’s the kind of game with multiple paths or multiple ways through the same path. It’s for this reason I don’t wanna drop $60 on a game just to get bored of it in a matter of days.

The Internet; human stupidity at its finest...

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 12:12 pm

There's a fine line here. The task has to be mindless enough so your mind is free to roam.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 12:56 pm

It depends very much on what the repetitive task is.

I used to find a sense of comfort in repeatedly playing through old video games that I've already completed. In that case it's not really thrill that I'm seeking though. It's more just a sense of aesthetic appreciation for the graphical details, music, plot/story elements, etc. The same applies for re-watching movies I've already seen.

I don't like repetitive tasks that have no "aesthetic" appeal though. I would rather kill myself than work on an assembly line, flip burgers, or perform any kind of repetitive service sector job. 3-4 hours is about the max I can tolerate of that kind of thing. 8 hours straight is just torture.

Last edited by marshall on 16 May 2010, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 12:58 pm

There is a big difference between a repetitive task that I initiate and wish to continue, and a repetitive task that someone else imposes on me.

If I want to do the same thing over and over, I just do it and it makes me happy. I'll stop whenever I feel like it; just leave me alone to continue, thanks. However, if someone else forces me to do it (i.e. at work), I want to run away screaming.

That's being an Aspie... We live in our own heads, not someone else's.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 1:11 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
There is a big difference between a repetitive task that I initiate and wish to continue, and a repetitive task that someone else imposes on me.

If I want to do the same thing over and over, I just do it and it makes me happy. I'll stop whenever I feel like it; just leave me alone to continue, thanks. However, if someone else forces me to do it (i.e. at work), I want to run away screaming.

^^^This^^^

The Autistic mind can do something repetitive endlessly as long as there's a personal interest involved. Put an Autistic on a random assembly line and you've opened a can of Instant Meltdown.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 2:12 pm

I've the done the playing through video games over and over thing too. Sometimes, I beat them 3 or more times, depending on how much I like the game. I'm talking about 60 hour games like FF7 played through 4 times. I used to work at a department store and I remember my favorite thing to do was to tag clothing. I would repeat the same pattern over and over and it was very relaxing and soothing to me. However if it's something I don't like that repeats, it can make me very angry. Smoke dectectors will make me want to cry not only because the noise is very unpleasant, but also because of the repetitiveness of it. Same thing with certain songs. I like Lady Gaga's songs because they sound good and are repetitive. But I didn't like the Soulja Boy song, Superman because it sounded terrible and was repetitive. It would literally make me angry if I listened to it.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2010, 2:35 pm

Aimless wrote:
There's a fine line here. The task has to be mindless enough so your mind is free to roam.

This is the case for me.

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

16 May 2010, 2:40 pm

With me, I think it depends on the situation. I can be repetitive in some situations, but with other situations I also go through moments in which I get tired of being stuck in a rut. Some routines I don't mind are eating out on the weekends, seeing my friends Fridays or Saturdays, ordering sweet drinks at restaraunts (ever since I was 5 I have always tried to order milkshakes if the restaraunts sell them), going to Lollicup or Dairyqueen every Saturday night, and bicycling every Sunday. However, I can be flexible if the routine ever needs to change. Also, what I'm getting bored of is staying at home with my parents. Also, I go in and out of phases in which I like to play and replay the same old videogames.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 7:17 pm

I love repetitive anything. Repitition is something I am very fond of.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2010, 8:24 pm

I'm not very fond of repetition. When I think of how some games are played, I groan at the thought of each task to be done in each order. I resign to do it before I even do it because of that! Too much repetition. It's also why games like WoW get old fast for me.

I've played through many of my old favorite games bunches of times. I loved the repetition of it back then. These days though, repetition only feels tasking and boring.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 8:34 pm

Willard wrote:
dyingofpoetry wrote:

^^^This^^^

The Autistic mind can do something repetitive endlessly as long as there's a personal interest involved. Put an Autistic on a random assembly line and you've opened a can of Instant Meltdown.

Precisely!

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 11:04 pm

I like repetitive tasks.