Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 2:01 pm

In terms of thinking and how they manage day to day situations or just thier general view on the world, what would the difference between a neurotypical way of thinking and an aspie way of thinking be?

Actually if you have aspergers and would be granted a wish to have a neurotypical brain for one day what differences would you expierence in terms of quality of life and how people treat you? Would it be shocking how different your life would feel? I am guessing insults would feel a lot less painful and stress would be managed more successfully?

I would like neurotypicals and aspies to answer my questions. Thanks.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 4:11 pm

I'm guessing that things would at least feel somewhat deserved and thus better processed for future purposes...... All people have social faux pas... I just feel I take it harsher cause they feel like they come from left field... And that's hard to correct for.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 4:20 pm

Jamesy wrote:

I don't really know how to answer it (but when has that ever stopped me). Although I am not on the autism spectrum, there is no reason to think that any randomly chosen neurotypical person thinks like me and no reason to think that any person on the autism spectrum would think like me if they didn't have autism. The person with autism who is genetically closest to me (and therefore whose brain is following at least some of the same DNA instructions) is my daughter. And I couldn't predict how she would think if she didn't have autism so I couldn't predict exactly how anybody else would view the world differently if they didn't have autism.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 2:47 am

i'm sure this will get lots of brickbats, but from what i've seen, a typical NT meme is-

"that's just the way it is- suck it up!"

whereas, a typical AS meme would be-

"but WHY? it just doesn't make sense!"

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 5:36 am

Jamesy wrote:
In terms of thinking and how they manage day to day situations or just thier general view on the world, what would the difference between a neurotypical way of thinking and an aspie way of thinking be?

Actually if you have aspergers and would be granted a wish to have a neurotypical brain for one day what differences would you expierence in terms of quality of life and how people treat you? Would it be shocking how different your life would feel? I am guessing insults would feel a lot less painful and stress would be managed more successfully?

Actually I don't think that people with AS have a more difficult time managing stress than NT's, I just think people with AS tend to have a different set of stressors, and are subjected to these stressors more frequently.

To give you an example which will tie in to what I am about to discuss, the terrorist attacks on 9-11 did not stress me. However, I still find having to go to a social event at a stranger's house fairly stressful.

I think people with AS only seem more stress prone and emotional than NT's because most of us are constantly subjected to the pressures of the NT world in the form of teachers, parents, and family members trying to get us to conform to their way of doing things. I constantly felt like everyone was trying to micromanage my life when I was younger, though I was perfectly fine when left on my own.

Concerning how I think NT's see the world...

The human animal is a highly social being, devoid of the physical attributes which allow a species to survive in a solitary fashion and "empty handed" against the elements. Humans are naked, physically weak, slow, have a poor sense of smell, and have children who, as infants are entirely dependent on their parents and have one of the slowest rates of development among mammals in the animal kingdom. Humans and their cousins have evolved to overcome these inherent weaknesses through social organization. In the most simple of human societies, humans needs other humans to survive as a species.

As such, the NT human is wired to be highly concerned with aspects of social interaction. Not only do they tend to spend a good deal of time socializing, they spend a good deal of time thinking about the act of socializing, and things pertaining to social issues not only in their own life, but in the lives of others. For example, who did what. Who is doing what. Who is dealing with what. Who does what in whatever annoying way. Who did what in whatever annoying way, and so on.

There is nothing wrong with this. It is the end result of an evolutionary scheme that works, however it has a subjective "down side" as it tends to result in somewhat of a narrow range of focus, and thus a narrow perception of the world, where the world is what can be seen in front of a person and "normal" is a fixed concept. I say subjective because whether it is actually a pro or con depends on how you want to look at it. The advantage of this "down side" is it allows people to operate in a sort of auto-pilot fashion where they generally go about their day somewhat obliviously but rather efficiently. It also leaves one with great potential for positive life changing experiences.

People with AS on the other hand generally have more of an introverted nature, and spend relatively little time with the act of socialization or dedicating much in the way of time to the ensuing thought processes above. This leaves us with a good deal of time of time to think about other things.

Some individuals with AS may spend this time thinking about a wide variety of things, while others with AS may spend this time thinking about a more narrow spectrum of things, such as "special interests", or we may simply spend much of this time day dreaming or idling in some random place of mental zen.

I think people with AS generally harbor more of an ability to acknowledge the world around them.

The reason the terrorist attacks on 9-11 did not disrupt my reality was because I could never perceive the illusion that reality should be a certain way.

As I am generally on the outside of things, I could never get caught up in much of anything, popular mindsets included, and so, while the western world was flourishing in the late 90's due to the economic dot com boom, I could only observe it. But this side lined vantage point also allowed me see the less positive issues brewing in the world at the time.

I was very aware of the discontent in the middle east concerning the policies of the west, and I had known of Osama Bin Laden from an article in Time magazine I think it was, which I must have read in the early 90's, in which he had declared war on the US.

Most people with such agendas do not have the resources to act on them, but I occasionally found myself thinking, what's to stop a billionaire with so many people not neccisarily sympathetic to his cause of spreading Islam in such a manner, but with similar sentiments towards western countries for entirely different reasons.

To compound that, there is the issue that golden eras, like great civilizations, don't fizzle, they grow exponentially until they collapse.

So I was not the least bit surprised when this happened. It did not come out of the blue but the average American spends little time thinking about things like this.

The downside to this is my deficit with social interaction and the fact that without this NT "auto-pilot" and illusion of normative reality, I'm not very efficient at getting much of the mundane, simple things done.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 9:43 am

My mum told me that being a neurotpyical is a similar feeling for when us aspies get drunk. lol.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 9:55 am

Jamesy wrote:
My mum told me that being a neurotpyical is a similar feeling for when us aspies get drunk. lol.

8O OMG. Your mom's found the long-awaited magical autism cure. Alcohol, of course, why didn't anyone think of it before :D

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 2:07 pm

"what would the difference between a neurotypical way of thinking and an aspie way of thinking be? "

Some of this is guesswork but.............

1) An aspie thinks of things in black and white terms an NT sees many shades of gray.

2) An NT can be very flexible in their outlook, an aspie prefers hard and fast rules which are always followed.

3) An NT sees many social clues in their daily life and then acts accordingly, an aspie misses every one of them.

All of this depends on where the aspie concerned is on the spectrum.

Vanilla_Slice

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 3:27 pm

I'd have a sex drive, and more feminine tastes in clothes and music.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 3:51 pm

Yeah when you drink alchol its almost like you can socalise a lot better than you would if you were sober.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 3:52 pm

I think the biggest differences for me would be knowing what to say and how to say it right! I would be able to read and respond to body language, and I'd be able to understand what people are saying when they hint at something rather than being lost, or thinking they are saying what they mean (what a concept!) and reacting inappropriately.

I think it would be interesting to have an NT brain for a day, but I am quite sure I'd want to go back to being me. I mostly like who I am, I'm working on being a person I'd like even better, and I think all that work would be wasted on an NT brain.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 1:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
i'm sure this will get lots of brickbats, but from what i've seen, a typical NT meme is-

[Aside : Chief Assistant to the Assistant Chief? Somebody knows his Flanders and Swan] Not an aside: Actually, I regularly hear BOTH from somewhere spectreal Number 1 Son.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 3:33 am

I would be a lot more like Madonna, the sex kitten, than I'd be like unworldly Mick Avory, of The Kinks. Just like an NT woman, between the ages 30 and 40.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 5:03 am

Jamesy wrote:

They become more clumsy, more dissociative, and they don't bother not to ignore people, and they eventually fall asleep? :P That's what happens when I drink.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 5:07 am

auntblabby wrote:

Maybe that's often true, but not always. I'm nowhere near the spectrum and I'm definitely in the "but WHY" camp. There are so many ways of thinking whether you have AS or not it's hard to be fair to everyone with these kinds of generalities. I think it may be more of a general intelligence and/or thinking style issue not an AS/NT issue.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 5:21 am

I think Chronos makes a lot of good points. I have wondered if AS isn't an evolutionary change, not necessarily taking over the species, but a new way for people to be that is flourishing because it goes beyond some outdated human traits that are no longer so necessary for human survival as they once were. In less technological times people needed to depend on each other and this social sense that we NTs can't escape was really helpful. In modern times, for people living in developed areas, it's not as necessary. I think that Aspies have probably been around a very long time, but we are seeing more and more dx's because Aspies/Auties are flourishing and having more opportunities to reproduce (and we are dxing more).

Chronos: One small disagreement for you...I don't think introversion is more frequent in Aspies/Auties than it is outside the spectrum. My eldest Aspie son is definitely an extrovert while his younger Aspie brother is an introvert. I'm mildly introverted and I'm not in the spectrum. I think that Aspies tend to appear more introverted because of their social blindness than an NT with the same degree of introversion.

That's a bit off topic, but interesting.

To the OP, your question doesn't have any simple answers. Not many "NT"s are actually typical. I've never been anything close to typical and I'm not at all in the spectrum. People think in so many different ways it's hard to make grand generalities. There are many learning styles and personality styles and a seemingly infinite number of combinations. People are just so unique.

If I could be an Aspie for a day I'd like to try it. I'd like to see what it feels like so I can better relate to Aspies.