Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 3:03 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Not yet but I'm working on it.......I would appear to pass what they call the "cooking test" for Disability Living Allowance but so far all they'll say is "you do not need help to cook a main meal" :? Fact is, I couldn't cook a main meal to save my life. Curiously, on their reply it clearly says that if I want a full explanation of why they have come to this conclusion, all I have to do is request one. But when I did request one, they replied (eventually) to say that there was no information about that and that the next step would have to be an appeal.......but how can I knock holes in their case when they won't tell me why they made that decision? All they seem able to say is that I can't have any money, with no detail at all. :evil: Everything they say would seem designed to demoralise and discourage the applicant.

They've also insisted on repeatedly trying to contact me by phone in spite of my express instructions that my preferred mode of communication is in writing. :lol: If these people understand Aspergers' Syndrome, I'll eat my shorts. I'd write again telling them what I think of their performance, but I don't want to go and blurt anything out that could affect my case adversely, and the Citizen's Advice Bureau is virtually impossible to contact these days. The system isn't working. :evil:

That's why you need an attorney versed in Social Security and developmental disability law. Check your local bar association for attorneys that will do this pro-bono, or on a no-pay basis if you lose, provided you have any funds.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Jul 2013, 11:05 am

Meistersinger wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Not yet but I'm working on it.......I would appear to pass what they call the "cooking test" for Disability Living Allowance but so far all they'll say is "you do not need help to cook a main meal" :? Fact is, I couldn't cook a main meal to save my life. Curiously, on their reply it clearly says that if I want a full explanation of why they have come to this conclusion, all I have to do is request one. But when I did request one, they replied (eventually) to say that there was no information about that and that the next step would have to be an appeal.......but how can I knock holes in their case when they won't tell me why they made that decision? All they seem able to say is that I can't have any money, with no detail at all. :evil: Everything they say would seem designed to demoralise and discourage the applicant.

They've also insisted on repeatedly trying to contact me by phone in spite of my express instructions that my preferred mode of communication is in writing. :lol: If these people understand Aspergers' Syndrome, I'll eat my shorts. I'd write again telling them what I think of their performance, but I don't want to go and blurt anything out that could affect my case adversely, and the Citizen's Advice Bureau is virtually impossible to contact these days. The system isn't working. :evil:

That's why you need an attorney versed in Social Security and developmental disability law. Check your local bar association for attorneys that will do this pro-bono, or on a no-pay basis if you lose, provided you have any funds.
I head they only get paid if they/you win & their fee is a certain percent of the backpay; I'm not sure if its 10 or 20%. The fee is the same set rate for them all regardless of weather they take up the case at the very end of the processs or from the begining so you may as well hire them sooner than latter if you think it will come to that.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 11:18 am

chris5000 wrote:
have you tried talking to the billing to get your bills reduced? hospitals tend to be very flexible

Not yet, but I am planning on it....making phone calls makes me really nervous though so I tend to procrastinate on it. When I am able to though I will and I will just explain I am waiting on medicaid maybe they can put a hold on the payments or whatever until I get it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:03 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
have you tried talking to the billing to get your bills reduced? hospitals tend to be very flexible

Not yet, but I am planning on it....making phone calls makes me really nervous though so I tend to procrastinate on it. When I am able to though I will and I will just explain I am waiting on medicaid maybe they can put a hold on the payments or whatever until I get it.
I hate making calls too. Maybe it would help if you had someone else call for you. My dad briefly worked in a hosptital along time go doing something like records or data entry & he told me 1ce how someone from billing told him how the hospital would agree to very low long term payments(longer than people would likely live for) because the hospital didn't have much of a way of collecting especially when the paitents had little or no income. He said how one of the reasons they charge alot is because the lots who do pay or have insrance pay are also paying the cost for those who don't pay.. Medical bankrupsey is alot more common nowadays but I don't know anything about it but it's one more option to consider. I didn't know Medicaid was retoactive; I thouth they would only cover bills you get while on it & usually for anything special they have to be preapproved in order to get covered but the state I lived in till recently had know mst about had a much sh!ttier health care system than where I'm at now so your state probably works better than Louisiana

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2013, 12:22 pm

I wonder if you get denied more if they see "Asperger" vs Autism. As if its considered not as "Bad" as autism. I consider myself to have mild autism, since the Asperger term is become obsolete. Also from what I understand, You get $1,060 a month for SSI. You can work part-time and earn up to $1,010 a month maximum.

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:43 pm

ravenloft68 wrote:
I wonder if you get denied more if they see "Asperger" vs Autism....

Except that since the DSM-5 was published in May....there is no more Aspergers...it's "just" on the autism spectum.....(although my own psychiatrist believes this was a change made SOLELY for the advantage of the health insurance companies...as far as he's concerned-I have Aspergers.)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:44 pm

ravenloft68 wrote:
I wonder if you get denied more if they see "Asperger" vs Autism. As if its considered not as "Bad" as autism. I consider myself to have mild autism, since the Asperger term is become obsolete. Also from what I understand, You get $1,060 a month for SSI. You can work part-time and earn up to $1,010 a month maximum.
Maybe
You might be thinking of SSDI. The federal SSI rate is $710 a month & for every $2 you make from working before taxes $1 of your SSI gets reduced. If you make enough not to collect any SSI you stay in the system if you still have your disabilities & can get money if your income goes down or you lose the job.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 5:51 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
chris5000 wrote:

im in the same phone situation I have like 500$ in bills that need to be paid, my mom tried calling for me but they want to talk to me. I have been putting it off ever since

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 8:21 pm

chris5000 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
chris5000 wrote:

im in the same phone situation I have like 500$ in bills that need to be paid, my mom tried calling for me but they want to talk to me. I have been putting it off ever since
Maybe you could get your dad, male relative or male friend to pretend to be you or your mom could call again & say she has your permission & then maybe hand you the phone so you can verify; my mom has done that when calling on behalf of my grandpa for things.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 9:51 pm

This March I was approved under SSI's Autism listing in almost two months after my application. With the right amount of documentation, I did not need an appeal this second time. I was on SSI as a child too.

Last edited by Lumi on 18 Jul 2013, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 3:16 am

nick007 wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I head they only get paid if they/you win & their fee is a certain percent of the backpay; I'm not sure if its 10 or 20%. The fee is the same set rate for them all regardless of weather they take up the case at the very end of the processs or from the begining so you may as well hire them sooner than latter if you think it will come to that.

The way my SSDI attorney explained it to me was they get 25% of your back pay up to a maximum of $6000.00. If 25% of your back pay is more than $6000.00 your attorney can only collect $6000.00 by law. He may collect for records fee, up to a maximum of $25.00 per record, also limited by law. It is up to the attorney to decide whether he will pass those counts back to you.

In addition, if you register for Ticket To Work, you can bypass the every 3 year physical and competency exams. The SSA STRONGLY encourages you to apply for that program, which is run in conjunction with your State's Office of Vocational Rehabilitation. The maximum you can earn right now, without jeapordizing you SSDI payments is $1014.00.

My attorney did mention that you can make an unlimited amount of money "under the table". You have to be careful, though, especially if you have private disability insurance, which have different rules, on what funds you can make while disabled. Check with your insurance carrier and your attorney regarding these points.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 7:09 am

chris5000 wrote:

When I have hospital bills I just ignore them until they go away since I can't pay no matter how cheap they are.

I'm due to lose my Medicaid August 1st. They sent a letter in the mail to me and the person at the hospital that helped me get it but no one called me yet and I don't know what to do. I don't like making phone calls.

I did an online application for ssi once but I gave up when they wanted me to call them, plus I don't have a diagnosis.

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2013, 9:25 am

nick007 wrote:
ravenloft68 wrote:
Maybe
You might be thinking of SSDI. The federal SSI rate is $710 a month & for every $2 you make from working before taxes $1 of your SSI gets reduced. If you make enough not to collect any SSI you stay in the system if you still have your disabilities & can get money if your income goes down or you lose the job.

Thanks for the clarification :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 10:31 am

ravenloft68 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
ravenloft68 wrote:
Maybe

Thanks for the clarification :)
Your Welcome. Both programs are similar in some ways but different in others & are both very complicated to deal with on your own. I wish the sytems were simpler buecause disableds who weren't in the system as kids are usually the 1s who need the help most as adults but have the hardest time getting it duee to no expeience"playing the system".