Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 3:20 pm

This article says there appears to be a link between pesticides and ADD:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37156010/ns ... parenting/

As a personal opinion, I do worry that environmental factors make certain conditions worse. As some of you know, a light bulb really went off when I heard of the high levels of fire retardant in the rare family actually tested for it - - visions of my son constantly chewing on his PJ's swam through my head. Still, I don't want parents to start to freak out about this stuff; we're already overwhelmed by way too much information and worries on so many things, to the point of it interfering with our ability to be peaceful and happy in our roles as parents.

So ...

When it comes to the pesticides, there are times to worry, and times not to. There are organizations that provide lists of the foods most likely to contain high levels. Having those lists when you shop helps you know when to spend the extra money. In my opinion it's just one little thing we can do to help our kids be who they were meant to be, and not overly affected by chemicals.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 4:33 pm

Thanks DW.

MsLeeLoo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2010, 5:46 pm

interesting, I read about that earlier today. However, a link doesn't necessarily prove causation, either. I do have a feeling pesticides aren't *good* for us to ingest in any way, but considering all the other environmental factors in the modern world, I think it could be a variety of things. More study needed, sometimes it ends up being a red herring like some of the vaccine scares

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 6:48 pm

Thanks for the article DW.

Sigh. We do buy some organic produce, and try to avoid the "dirtiest" ones. I hadn't even considered the frozen blueberries as being a big culprit though?! Rats. The organic frozen blueberries are $$$, and not only is the organic produce around here dang expensive, but it is of much poorer quality than the regular for most of the year. Can't wait until our local farmer's market opens up in June.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 10:59 pm

annotated_alice wrote:

Sigh. We do buy some organic produce, and try to avoid the "dirtiest" ones. I hadn't even considered the frozen blueberries as being a big culprit though?! Rats. The organic frozen blueberries are $$$, and not only is the organic produce around here dang expensive, but it is of much poorer quality than the regular for most of the year. Can't wait until our local farmer's market opens up in June.

Do you have Trader Joes? They have organic frozen blueberries at a reasonable price.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 9:48 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
annotated_alice wrote:

Do you have Trader Joes? They have organic frozen blueberries at a reasonable price.

Afraid not, we are in Canada. I guess, I am going to be on the hunt for organic frozen blueberries here.