Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 614
Location: Australia

18 May 2010, 9:37 pm

I have been in extreme depressed state for the past two days and can't find a way out. Anti-depressant doesn't seems to help anymore. And I still have to go to uni or else I fell. I just wish I could die but I don't want to kill myself. I feel like being in a huge maze and can't find a way out...and sometimes I started thinking about giving up....

All I want is a way out.



AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,663
Location: Houston, Texas

18 May 2010, 9:59 pm

You can find people you can connect with, maybe in politics, maybe in arts communities, maybe here on Wrong Planet or in the broader autism community. It just doesn't happen on any kind of predictable time table.

You can find areas where a sincere, intelligent person can make contributions. And you don't need to be super intelligent, you are probably plenty smart enough.

You can learn methods like pre-studying that will help you in school. And if necessary, you can make some smart moves about changing a major.

-----------------------------

I am not a doctor, I need to be clear about that, but as a understand . . . even if an anti-depressant is so-so, you probably don't want to abruptly stop it because then neurotransmitter levels could also drop abruptly. You want a doctor you can at least halfway talk to, and just tell him or her that you don't think the current antidepressant is doing that much good.

Exercise is a demonstrated modest mood elevated, but I know, when you're depressed, the last thing you feel like doing is going to exercise.

Sunlight (something about melantonin?), but same issue, when depressed, the last thing in the world you feel like doing is getting out and getting some sunlight.

Keep talking with us, other people here may have some ideas.



Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 18 May 2010, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,654
Location: Stalag 13

18 May 2010, 10:05 pm

I have Depression, and it's been managed by pills, for 12 years. I'm amazed that the pills are still working.


_________________
Who wants to adopt a Sweet Pea?


Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,682
Location: Idaho, USA

18 May 2010, 11:01 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Sunlight (something about melantonin?), but same issue, when depressed, the last thing in the world you feel like doing is getting out and getting some sunlight.


Also something about vitamin D. I get depressed far more easily if I don't take my 5000 IU vitamin D3 pills every day.


_________________
"In the end, we decide if we're remembered for what happened to us or for what we did with it."
-- Randy K. Milholland

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.


Horus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,302
Location: A rock in the milky way

18 May 2010, 11:08 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:


Quote:
Exercise is a demonstrated modest mood elevated, but I know, when you're depressed, the last thing you feel like doing is going to exercise.

Sunlight (something about melantonin?), but same issue, when depressed, the last thing in the world you feel like doing is getting out and getting some sunlight.



Truer words were never spoken. The sun seems like the most oppressive thing
in the world when i'm depressed.

And I live in Florida.

The contrast between my internal world and the external one couldn't be
more dramatic.


In the external world there is palm trees, bougainvillea and
celebratory latin music.


In my internal world....it's Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead and this:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GN2NKZQ8L.jpg



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,227
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 May 2010, 12:20 am

Are you depressed about anything specially OP :?: I had a major depression years ago because I felt like I was nothing but a burden to society & like I was a bad person because of the way I was. What really helped me was making friends who I felt understood & cared about me. I was able to listen & help them with things & after a while I started realizing that I was not the worthless loser who I felt I was because I was having a positive effect on people. I was on lots of meds as well & I did not start feeling better till I quit them for a while. What I really needed was to feel like I wasn't alone. Having people who you can talk to about depression stuff who will NOT tell you that you are being to negative can be a big help sometimes. If you or anyone else needs/wants to talk about anything; feel free to PM me


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


bee33
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Age: 60
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,484

19 May 2010, 12:32 am

If you already have a doc who prescribes the antidepressant, talk to him/her about adjusting your meds or adding a new medication.



melbi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 614
Location: Australia

19 May 2010, 3:55 am

Hey guys, thanks for all your reply.
I'm already on anti-depressant, quite high dosage as well. Also have a very good therapist who I see every Tuesday, but I couldn't see her coz she's away this week.
Was wondering if anyone has any solution when getting into extreme depressed state.
I ended up in the emergency today coz was trying to hurt myself...
Got locked in hospital for hours but got better afterwards...
Now I'm just in anxious state...

sometimes I'm so proud to be an Aspie,
but there are times, like now, I wish there's no Asperger, so there won't be depression and anxiety.



melbi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 614
Location: Australia

19 May 2010, 3:58 am

nick007 wrote:
Are you depressed about anything specially OP :?: I had a major depression years ago because I felt like I was nothing but a burden to society & like I was a bad person because of the way I was. What really helped me was making friends who I felt understood & cared about me. I was able to listen & help them with things & after a while I started realizing that I was not the worthless loser who I felt I was because I was having a positive effect on people. I was on lots of meds as well & I did not start feeling better till I quit them for a while. What I really needed was to feel like I wasn't alone. Having people who you can talk to about depression stuff who will NOT tell you that you are being to negative can be a big help sometimes. If you or anyone else needs/wants to talk about anything; feel free to PM me


Hi Nick,
I tried to make friends but I think the major problem is keeping friends. Some NTs are really nice and they're willing to help me...but usually only once or twice...after that they got annoyed...
Same with Aspie I guess....I constantly need hugs to calm myself down... I would ask this Aspie friend of mine to hug me.... but I'm worriied that he'll get annoyed..... coz I guess everyone have their private life... and I can't just keep intruding them with my depression problems and hope that they would calm me down...



IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 380
Location: Utrecht

19 May 2010, 4:19 am

melbi wrote:
I have been in extreme depressed state for the past two days and can't find a way out. Anti-depressant doesn't seems to help anymore. And I still have to go to uni or else I fell. I just wish I could die but I don't want to kill myself. I feel like being in a huge maze and can't find a way out...and sometimes I started thinking about giving up....

All I want is a way out.


It helps me to do things like riding my bicycle. Singing works for me as well. I have had many depressions throughout the years and from experience: you will find the way out gradually.



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,227
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 May 2010, 4:23 am

I ended up in the ER at my lowest point for slashing my arm. Two hours latter I was back home with some supper-glue stuff & bandages on it.
I don't have that many friends either. Most all my friends are online & I lost most of my friends when I started having major problems. I ended up getting a job & made a few friends there & that helped some but I also got really active on some online community where people had different emotional things & that helped me out a lot. I also joined a support group in my area for bipolar disorder. I was not bipolar but I had a lot of the symptoms at times & I knew a lot of people online who wer as well. It gave me an outing & chance to meet people witch was nice. Group shut down years ago cuz of lack of members thou. I would highly recommend trying a support group if there's something in your area.
Trying to understand yourself & feelings can help a lot as well. I learned my depression & other emotions had certain triggers that made me worse so I tried to avoid certain things when I could. I also found crying to be a major coping strategy but I became addicted to it because I started crying every single nite & I would make myself cry during the day before I did something so I could function enough to do it. Crying was a big help for a while thou because I did feel much better after.
Sometimes just having people to talk to online can be a big help; least it was for me. That's partly why I talk about this stuff so much because it helps me sort things out some & I'm hoping it could possible help someone else


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 380
Location: Utrecht

19 May 2010, 4:37 am

nick007 I recognize a lot of what you say

sometimes it is good to know there are more people having the same struggle and learning from eachothers experience can be healthy


I even thought I was bipolar like you did, mainly because Lithium worked very well on my depressions



melbi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 614
Location: Australia

19 May 2010, 4:45 am

IamTheWalrus wrote:
melbi wrote:
I have been in extreme depressed state for the past two days and can't find a way out. Anti-depressant doesn't seems to help anymore. And I still have to go to uni or else I fell. I just wish I could die but I don't want to kill myself. I feel like being in a huge maze and can't find a way out...and sometimes I started thinking about giving up....

All I want is a way out.


It helps me to do things like riding my bicycle. Singing works for me as well. I have had many depressions throughout the years and from experience: you will find the way out gradually.


Thank you IamTheWalrus...you gave me hope! I thinking watching movies helps me but was at uni....no movie to watch lol... sucks that I have to go to uni...



melbi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 614
Location: Australia

19 May 2010, 4:54 am

nick007 wrote:
I ended up in the ER at my lowest point for slashing my arm. Two hours latter I was back home with some supper-glue stuff & bandages on it.
I don't have that many friends either. Most all my friends are online & I lost most of my friends when I started having major problems. I ended up getting a job & made a few friends there & that helped some but I also got really active on some online community where people had different emotional things & that helped me out a lot. I also joined a support group in my area for bipolar disorder. I was not bipolar but I had a lot of the symptoms at times & I knew a lot of people online who wer as well. It gave me an outing & chance to meet people witch was nice. Group shut down years ago cuz of lack of members thou. I would highly recommend trying a support group if there's something in your area.
Trying to understand yourself & feelings can help a lot as well. I learned my depression & other emotions had certain triggers that made me worse so I tried to avoid certain things when I could. I also found crying to be a major coping strategy but I became addicted to it because I started crying every single nite & I would make myself cry during the day before I did something so I could function enough to do it. Crying was a big help for a while thou because I did feel much better after.
Sometimes just having people to talk to online can be a big help; least it was for me. That's partly why I talk about this stuff so much because it helps me sort things out some & I'm hoping it could possible help someone else


hi Nick,
I found this Aspie support group around my area recently and have been to one meet-up..... can't wait for the second one. Nice people there. Met a very nice friend who are always willing to give me hugs but I feel a bit ashamed that I always ask him and drive to his place just to get a hug... Some other people I met there I'm not so close to. The other guy was nice, but he doesn't talk much and doesn't like hugs too...
Crying is good...for me...it's a big relieve... sometimes I feel so aweful that I can't even get a tear out... but when I force it out... I usually feel much better after it =)



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,227
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 May 2010, 4:56 am

Lithium was one of the 1st few meds I was on. I was on it for a while(It's also a good Nirvana song BTW) I was having some mood-swings as well thou. I noticed that when I was having good days; I would usually feel worse at nite & my online bipolar friends told me it sounded like em. I was probably suffering from a psychotic depression thou & there wer things going on in my life(or not going on) that wer getting to me. Things kept getting worse & worse till I broke-down. I'm not quite sure how to explain this but I felt like I was watching myself in horror instead of the one doing the slashing. Before all that thou I had tried some meds out for tremors & I think those meds could of helped tirger some of the emotional problems but there wer lots of other things going on that I was not talking to people about. Looking back I think if I had people to talk to about stuff before then; I mite of not even needed to start the mental meds. I waited to long to get help.
The only support group I evern been to was the bipolar one. I don't know of any other support groups around here for things like that


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 380
Location: Utrecht

19 May 2010, 5:20 am

I certainly needed the Lithium at that time, it helped me a lot to get out of "the storm" . (and yes great song :D )

I was refused for a supportgroup :lol: (wasn't very sorry about that as I always disliked groups) because I was rocking contstantly and not able to make any eye contact during the take in. Which for me was quite normal when I was experiencing something new.

I don't need medication anymore. I know what to do to avoid getting a depression. Although losing my job recently got me close to it.