Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Andromeda_O
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2010, 11:39 am

Hi. I was wondering if any other female aspies had problems with eating disorders. I u sed to have an eating disorder, but I've recovered. One thing I've noticed is a lot of the female aspies I've met have had some problems with anorexia or bulimia. I was wondering if this was a coincidence or something that had to do with the AS.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2010, 12:07 pm

I am a glutton and I over-eat. Is that an eating disorder? In case you're wondering I'm a bit plump but not obese.

Andromeda_O
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2010, 1:05 pm

Villette wrote:
I am a glutton and I over-eat. Is that an eating disorder? In case you're wondering I'm a bit plump but not obese.

technically yes, that does count as an eating disorder. It's called binge eating disorder. BTW, I noticed I accidently posted a duplicate thread. I didn't mean to. Mods please delete one of them!

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 1:15 pm

Female with AS and in late teens was anorexic and had issues with purging.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 1:26 pm

As a man I have to say that the thought of female aspies developing eating disorders sends a chill down my spine whenever it enters my mind. It's truly tragic.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 1:42 pm

I posted in the other thread, but I went into treatment for anorexia a few years ago.
And I posted an article:

http://autismaspergerssyndrome.suite101 ... d_anorexia

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Whangdoodle
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 May 2010, 2:10 pm

Never diagnosed with an eating disorder, but I've gone through phases of only eating certain food groups and episodes of extreme crash dieting in my life, and these days I track everything I eat on fitday.com just so I can say I eat the recommended number of calories a day.
I suppose I can see how it would be easy for someone like me to develop an eating disorder under certain conditions, since food can become a "special interest" and, when I was younger, I tended to sort of "experiment on" myself with different diets, hoping one would make me feel normal and fit in.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 2:55 pm

Not anything that would fall under the description of the usual eating disorders, but I've always had an unhealthy relationship with food. I sometimes eat too much, sometimes too little, sometimes healthy, mostly junk. I've been overweight for my whole life.

In the last few months I've gotten it together a little bit and am at least eating a proper amount of calories everyday. Those calories don't necessarily come from the right kinds of foods, but by limiting the calorie intake I've lost a significant amount of weight and am getting closer to a healthy weight. But unless I figure out the proper foods to eat I'm afraid that I'm just going to end up eating badly again and gaining all the weight back.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 3:09 pm

Villette wrote:

That's the same with me.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 4:21 pm

Anorexia and bulemia. For most of my life, I've had a sort of "voice" telling me that unless I weighed under 100 lbs, I was worthless. During high school I was 5'5" and weight 105 lbs. I added a little in college, going up to perhaps 110 at my heaviest. My friends worried about me. During my junior year, I was in a severe depression. I ate once a week at most and dropped down to around 100 lbs. (Not sure exactly how much, but something like that.) I went on medication thereafter and I gained weight no matter how I ate or how much I wprked out. I began binging and purging. The man I was dating at that time actually got me away from that. With therapy and support, I developed a better relationship with food. At 27, I weighed 125. I weigh a little more now, and I'd like to lose that weight, but it is very hard for me, due to the way I screwed up my metabolism through starvation, and binging and purging.

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2010, 5:09 pm

Never had anorexia, as the diagnostic criteria are super strict (I never lost my period because I was on birth control pills, and you have to lose your period for >3 months to technically have anorexia, otherwise it's EDNOS). I'm 5,8" and the lowest I over got was 110 (BMI 16.7 for those who are short and don't know what that means lol). Not as bad as it sounds though; I've seen pictures of other people my height who are 130 and look like I did when I was 110. I'm 120 right now and look about 135.

I've read several articles about AS and anorexia, and I'm willing to believe in the correlations. AS shares symptoms of OCD/anxiety that are known to cause a person to be prone to anorexia/EDs in general.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 5:28 pm

I've been obsessed with, and addicted to food, my entire life.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 6:06 pm

I've had anorexia as recently as 18 months ago. Now I've gained weight due to my thyroid condition and not being on enough meds, so I'm overweight, but I still don't eat enough. It's mostly that I can't be bothered to eat. I don't like food.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 6:17 pm

I have had an eating disorder since high school. I was diagnosed with anorexia in 2007 which was surprising because I didn't quite meet the criteria. I still got my period and I was not underweight. But I have an eating disorder NOS and am eating better and hope to stay that way. I also used to throw up. The lowest I ever weighed was 127 lbs and the highest I ever weighed was 140. I just stay in the 130's now.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 7:08 pm

I'm a guy and I definitely have an eating disorder. I crave sugar all the time. I sometimes buy two large chocolate bars and eat both in like 20 minutes. I'm at coffee shops about twice a day, buying an espresso drink and a pastry.

I try to avoid ice cream. I LOVE ice cream, but it is just about the most calorie dense food there is.

I do eat healthy when I have my regular meals. And when I snack I tend to pick the healthier choices. A chocolate instead of processed candy or cake, for example.

Fortunately I'm an endurance athlete. We burn 4000-5000 calories training every day so I don't gain weight. If I ate the way I eat and had a sedentary lifestyle, I'd be a balloon boy.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 9:51 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Villette wrote:

That's the same with me.

It's the same with me too and I think it's because of the focus thing. If I totally focus on something like cookies I just can't stop eating them. Just cannot stop. I'll eat an INCREDIBLE number (too ashamed to ever admit the exact amount) at one sitting.

If I'm focusing on something else, like a project I'm working on or a game I'm playing I won't eat at all.

It's just a problem with over focusing I think.

-- Emerson