What undergrad program is best suited for...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 5:25 pm

Ok, so I was thinking of what undergrad program is best suited for someone who can do math but not too sophisticated math, who can learn subjects that follows a logical way of thinking, but can't do pure memorization.

Here is the situation, I used to be in mathematical physics where the math and problem solving was just too overwhelming. I am now in science taking biology courses since I already took all the basic chemistry courses. Genetics course is so far easy since it is so far just math calculations. Cell biology isn't that bad since it follows a logical sequence. However, plant biology is really hard and I have no interest in it (pure memorization). I was wondering what would be best suited for me if I can't make it in the current program.

Accounting? Business?

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 5:35 pm

What job do you want to do when you're out of school? And, would you want to go to graduate school or not?

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 7:45 pm

astaut wrote:
What job do you want to do when you're out of school? And, would you want to go to graduate school or not?

I would actually like a job that has moderate physical activity. Maybe not graduate school.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 8:15 pm

That scratches accounting. I would suggest any of the anatomies, but those literally are sheer memorization. Genetics is a good one. How do you define moderate physical activity? Walking from your desk to a printer, walking around the lab, doing machine work? Analytical chemistry would be excellent. Mathy, but not too sophisticated. You get to walk around in a lab and wear a sweet jacket. There are LOADS of job opportunities, because there is always something that needs to be analyzed.
On the other hand, I heard Operations Management in Business was "hard" according to some business majors, which makes me think it would be really interesting.
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Operations management is an area of business concerned with the production of goods and services, and involves the responsibility of ensuring that business operations are efficient in terms of using as little resource as needed, and effective in terms of meeting customer requirements.

That sounds pretty interesting, actually...
To get good jobs in anything, grad school is now a must. The masters is the new bachelors, unfortunately, because so many people were pushed into going to college. Now there is too much competition. :study:

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 8:40 pm

When I hear "moderate physical activity" with something academically oriented, I think of field research in some kind of biological/earth science.

Zoology, geology, anthropology, marine biology, things like that. I have no idea if those kinds of things are interesting whatsoever to you, but they interest me and so that's what came to mind.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 8:57 pm

I would second geology, especially since you can make a ton of money doing it with only a Bachelor's degree.

Ladarzak
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2010, 9:27 pm

> I would second geology, especially since you can make a ton of money doing it with only a Bachelor's degree.

But look into the details of that if you're interested, because the money jobs are in mining and petroleum, and it means you'll be working out of town in a camp situation with a lot of rough people. Oh, and exploiting the earth.

If you want to go into environmental geoscience, you can help the earth a bit, but there are more people demands and the pay and opportunities are substantially less.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 1:48 am

jc6chan wrote:
Ok, so I was thinking of what undergrad program is best suited for someone who can do math but not too sophisticated math, who can learn subjects that follows a logical way of thinking, but can't do pure memorization.

Here is the situation, I used to be in mathematical physics where the math and problem solving was just too overwhelming. I am now in science taking biology courses since I already took all the basic chemistry courses. Genetics course is so far easy since it is so far just math calculations. Cell biology isn't that bad since it follows a logical sequence. However, plant biology is really hard and I have no interest in it (pure memorization). I was wondering what would be best suited for me if I can't make it in the current program.

Accounting? Business?

Maybe programming.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 8:52 pm

Ladarzak wrote:
it means you'll be working out of town in a camp situation with a lot of rough people.

Camp situations and rough people are both awesome in my book. The vast majority of the jobs I've had in my life have similarly involved, as you put it, "rough people" in some way, shape, or form, and they have been better to me than the "non-rough people" almost across the board.

I'd like to know how "rough people" is defined.

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2010, 12:47 am

Rough people could be uncaring people, people who will try to do malicious things or play tricks on you, or threats, or such.

https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/Default.aspx is another cool site I just learned about which eases the undergrad application process.