Looking for resources on practicing social skills

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

bubzy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2010, 5:41 pm

Hello everyone:

I ordered a book recently by Jed Baker that is for people with Asperger's that are teens and older. It actually has pictures of different social situations and what people may be thinking, how to interpret body language, etc. I would also like to find scripts that I can practice that will help me to build friendships. So are there any resources on the internet that I can use to help build social skills? By the way, I am a 29 year old man in a moderate size city and I am at a point in my life where I would like to try and make new friends. Previous "friends" turned out to be bad apples so I want to really get some practice before I start searching for genuine friendships.

Here is the link to the book I mentioned:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193256 ... 1932565353

Thanks all,

Bubzy

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 6:42 pm

I practice my social skills, by being out with people.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 9:50 pm

That book is interesting because it's presented in such a straightforward way, but all I could think right away was that it's well and good to say one should look interested and try to talk to people who look interested in talking, but how does one do that? How do you look 'interested" or "welcoming" without giving the impression that you are simply staring? And how can you tell if other people are interested? I usually have no idea, unless they do something obvious like look annoyed or look away if they are not interested in the conversation.

MrEGuy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 May 2010, 11:48 pm

Have you tried bourbon?

I don't mean that entirely jokingly. There would only be one billion people on this planet if it weren't for booze.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 4:20 am

Anyway... head understanding and actually doing stuff is totally different.

My school reports say this well for me, I can pass tests on what to do in social situations when they are in words, but in real life I'm not picking up the social cues and I don't do the right thing, so I suggest socialize more with actual people.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020