Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 May 2010, 6:04 pm

When wandering about outside in the city crossing streets where there's traffic, I always find myself looking at the car instead of the driver when a situation occurs.

Anyone else who have noticed this?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 6:28 pm

I find myself looking at cars, more often than I look at drivers, 90% of the time.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 7:04 pm

Yes, I also do that, but then I like to look at who is driving, for my own demographics interest. Like, mostly just blond dye-jobs with billboard sunglasses drive Chevy Equinoxes. Check it out some time -- it's weird.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 7:10 pm

I never pay attention to the people who are driving. The cars may as well be driving themselves. The only time I notice the driver is if they do something to draw attention to themselves, like stick their hand out the window. or throw something out the window, etc.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 8:55 pm

I find if you look directly at the driver, it's easier to see if it's safe to make a run for it to the other side (jay walking is legal here).

I used to play chicken a lot, but these days I quite enjoy life, so I wait until I get a nod or a wave from the driver before I cross in front of them.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 9:06 pm

I never used to look at the driver, but then while I was walking I got hit by a driver that took the corner without looking so now I look at the driver to make sure they know I'm there before I walk.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 11:18 pm

Traffic confuses me... I don't drive yet, so as a pedestrian I just try to stave off panic and pay attention to traffic lights :bounce: I can't tell what people are going to do. Maybe I'm paying attention to the wrong things, but it seems like if drivers would just frickin' obey the traffic lights the weird ambiguity wouldn't occur.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 11:45 am

i had to rapidly learn to pay attention to the license plate first, then make and model of car, in case i had to report them because they tried to run me over when i am out biking or walking, or for harrassing me when i'm out and about. i live in yahooland.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 6:17 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i had to rapidly learn to pay attention to the license plate first, then make and model of car, in case i had to report them because they tried to run me over when i am out biking or walking, or for harrassing me when i'm out and about. i live in yahooland.

I can't imagine being in that situation 8O People here are more guilty of negligence than aggression.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 11:51 pm

Dots wrote:
I never used to look at the driver, but then while I was walking I got hit by a driver that took the corner without looking so now I look at the driver to make sure they know I'm there before I walk.

same story. i still catch myself forgetting / spacing out though, sometimes.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 1:16 am

Look at the Car. Sometimes you can tell more about a person by what they drive. Like anyone who drives a BMW is a Jerk who will probably cut you off without using a signal.