american (mis)use of english - the queen responds!

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

psych
Veteran
Veteran

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 9:04 pm

Hate to say this but the only queens that are important enough for Americans to listen to are the ones in the fashion industry. I hope that did not come off as rude.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 9:11 pm

Hrm...I always thought of, "I could care less," as meaning, "I could care less, but I don't." As in, it is possible that I could care less about something, but I can't be bothered to. Doesn't matter, as I'm more inclined to say, "I couldn't care less," myself.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 9:26 pm

I say this only as a holier-than-thou English scholar: If the British don't like American idioms, then should not use them. There are many Englishes in the world and American English is quite innocuous. Australian English is bizarre and the English in Singapore is incomprehensible (in my underappreciated opinion). :P

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 10:58 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
...American English is quite innocuous. Australian English is bizarre ...

Gee whiz. "I like my language, and everyone else's language sucks." Nothing provincial or biased about you, eh?

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 11:59 pm

one-A-N wrote:
Gee whiz. "I like my language, and everyone else's language sucks." Nothing provincial or biased about you, eh?

I didn't mean to offend, but sometimes I can't understand a thing you Aussie are saying.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 12:32 am

That guy sounds like Austin Powers, Baby! :P

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 4:52 am

The Brits can criticize us Yanks when they have their own house in order. :lol:

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 5:17 am

Todesking wrote:
Hate to say this but the only queens that are important enough for Americans to listen to are the ones in the fashion industry. I hope that did not come off as rude.

In the little Republic that I live in, papers and magazines sell far more copies when there is a (British) Royal story on the front cover. The Queen Mother's Memorial edition of the Sun was a best-seller.

I thought that the unschooled peoples of the far-flung provinces were similarly besotted by royalty.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 9:30 am

Meh. You can't "misuse" a language like that. Different dialects exist. It's only who has the power, that makes one dialect "proper" and the others "improper". It's just snobbery to claim otherwise.

catherineconns
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 May 2010, 10:11 am

StuartN wrote:
Todesking wrote:

I thought that the unschooled peoples of the far-flung provinces were similarly besotted by royalty.

The United States has its own royalty, in its own way. Some say that the Kennedys are the closest thing that America has had to a royal family. Others might say that the fascination and adoration that those across the pond direct towards royalty is focused more on Hollywood stars in the US.

Unless there's some huge scandal taking place around the British royalty, I think it's safe to say that the majority of the United States population pays little attention to them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 10:35 am

zer0netgain wrote:
The Brits can criticize us Yanks when they have their own house in order. :lol:

Actually, my apartment is a little in the messy side. :lol:

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 10:41 am

There are more native English speakers in the US, Canada, Austrailia, and New Zealand. The majority should decide what is correct and what is not. Therefore we are all speaking correct versions of English the British should be speaking what the majority is speaking. The United States-Canada has the numbers so you guys are speaking North American. If Austrailia-New Zealand had the larger population what would you call their form of English Pan Asian?

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 10:50 am

anbuend wrote:
Meh. You can't "misuse" a language like that. Different dialects exist. It's only who has the power, that makes one dialect "proper" and the others "improper". It's just snobbery to claim otherwise.

Yep and the important thing is that it's understood by enough people to be useful, otherwise it doesn't facilitate communication of ideas, but people are creative and are constantly making up new ways of saying things. If they catch on they become part of a language/dialect. Prescriptivist grammar is just snobbery, but it can be useful to learn a certain common dialect if one wants resources accessible through people who speak it.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 11:09 am

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh wow

That is hilarious.

I HATE 'erbs' for herbs. Ggsghsjdtkrl

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 1:56 pm