Overcoming Autism by Lynn Koegel

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 9:39 pm

Murrie wrote:
What I have learned is that autism is a business, and I'm so fed up with this business. No more therapists are getting any more of my hard-earned money :)

Good for you. Im sick of seeing people robbed because they want help for their kids....People will use anything to get money, I hope more parents follow suit. I am also fortunate in the fact that we have a public school with an awesome Autism program for Pre school and pre K. My daughter has been there two years. We also get in home therapy three times a week through the Regional Center where she was diagnosed. I think most people dont realize that there are free services out there. I was thankful to the speech therapist at the hospital where my daughter began her evaluation that told me about the Regional Center. They also diagnosed my son with Asperger's but due to major cuts from the state (Shame on California!) my son gets very few services now. I managed to get my health insurance to pay for a one on one therapy once a week for him and we paid (very reasonable price) out of pocket for his social group.
We are moving to France this summer and have already looked into the services there. My kids already have their French handicap cards so they will get services and we also get monthly support for them.

Murrie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2010, 9:32 am

They do say the best things in life come for free! I've always been very happy with all services provided by the state. You don't get that salesy stuff you might get from a private consultant. I live in NC and the Autism Society is just now working on getting insurance to pay for therapy. SC has coverage but NC does not. Sometimes I wonder why some of these people get into this profession of doing therapy with kids with autism. What is it that they are looking for? I can understand wanting to "help" but why autism? The therapists and doctors who are personally affected, who had a sibling or child - they really do the best job because they just know. I can see how they are motivated because it's been their life.

That's awesome that you'll be in France for the summer. I lived in Holland as a teenager for 2 years and it was great!