Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 1:00 pm

As all astronomically informed people are aware, the uncanny transit of Venus is occuring in 2012. I highly advise buying a solar viewing telescope, or better yet, solar viewing aparatus to put onto a regular telescope. This next Transit of Venus will not occur for over 100 years! So, no that is reading this will ever witness Venus as it is in a Solar Transit again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Venus,_2012

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 3:45 pm

wish i could partake of astronomical fun, but where i live is strictly bad viewing, with clouds obscuring the sky 90% of the time, and trees blocking most of the horizon up to 40 degrees vertical, 100% of the time.

Lunar-Lander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 May 2010, 4:43 pm

Helixstein wrote:
This next Transit of Venus will not occur for over 100 years! So, no that is reading this will ever witness Venus as it is in a Solar Transit again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Venus,_2012

After 2012, the next transits of Venus will be in December 2117 and December 2125.

LL

instead of hanging out in bars.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 1:23 am

I cannot wait! :) I need to buy me a telescope one day.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 2:04 am

ShenLong wrote:
I cannot wait! :) I need to buy me a telescope one day.

better live in a good viewing area, i.e., dark and clear skies, preferably high elevation. or be prepared to do a lot of driving to get to such a place. beware of "department store telescopes" which are affordable but invariably wobbly, weak, fuzzy and a general pain in the neck to use. you may want [or be forced] to spend mucho [4 figures minimum for new] money on one with quality optics and mounting, which automatically tracks celestial objects so you won't have to keep nudging the 'scope manually. think Meade, for example. buy used but know what you are looking for.
good luck :)
bruce

Sol-IV
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2010, 2:56 pm

I mustn't miss this. 8O
Being in the UK, I'm right on the edge of the area of the globe whereas transit won't be visible, hopefully I'll be able to see it...

jaspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2010, 9:47 pm

I already have a solar filter for my 10 inch Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope which I am anticipating to use.According to the diagram,
It will be visible from my location for approximately 6 hours on June 6 2012.I have not decided yet either to observe or image it with a
DSLR camera.Just hoping for clear skies.