Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Lazenca_x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2010, 4:57 pm

Hi
As you know, I'm a schizophrenic. I initially thought I was as. Tonight was my friends birthday party. I was confronted with a situation that just blew my mind away. I was not having fun at all. The other guests started chit chatting with each other over their pets, then it turned to crime and so on. My major problem was the fact that I had nothing to say. I have never been good at social interaction and tonight just proved how socially inept I am. Do you find yourself in similar situations?

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 5:12 pm

I find social interaction, particularly at things like birthday parties, very difficult to keep up with. I can manage ok with calm civil conversation on certain topics that I know about, but that rarely happens at these things.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 5:32 pm

For me, it depends on what they're talking about and whom I'm with. If they're talking about something that I take an interest to then I'll contribute to the conversation. Also, if I'm with some people whom I'm most comfortable being around, then I find I can converse with them more easily.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 5:33 pm

Lazenca_x wrote:
Hi
As you know, I'm a schizophrenic. I initially thought I was as. Tonight was my friends birthday party. I was confronted with a situation that just blew my mind away. I was not having fun at all. The other guests started chit chatting with each other over their pets, then it turned to crime and so on. My major problem was the fact that I had nothing to say. I have never been good at social interaction and tonight just proved how socially inept I am. Do you find yourself in similar situations?

I have a difficult time keeping up with the pace of conversation in a group setting but I generally don't care.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 5:40 pm

I find it hard to keep up, with everybody else, as far as conversations, but I'm more than happy to go to such occasions, just to observe.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 5:58 pm

I often feel like I have nothing to say in group discussions. I don't know if it's that I really have nothing to say or if I've just suppressed myself and my opinion so much that I convince myself I have nothing to say. If I'm interested in the subject I might have something to say, but that also depends on how well I know the people. A lot of the time I'm content to just listen.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 6:00 pm

I am a jerk which has endowed me with plenty of opinions about many things. It is just getting the stamina and bravery to speak up about them. LoL

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 6:18 pm

The description in the OP sounds like a typical social situation for me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I