Do you ever sit between your legs on the floor?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 5:32 pm

The best way I can describe this (I did search for an image) is if you go on the floor on your knees and then sit on your heels. Then, if you move your legs to the side, so you're sitting on the floor with your legs bent by your sides.

I used to do this all the time when I was young and my dance tutor had to tell me not to do it because it was "bad for your legs". I eventually taught myself not to do it, even though it's horrible sitting on your legs instead because you get pins and needles and everything. After finding out about Autistic people walking on their tip toes, my mum distinctly remembered that way that I always sat and asked me if it was anything to do with Autism. I didn't know, but when we saw Embarrassing Bodies: Kids, there were twin boys with Autism that were always sitting like this.

So, just wondered if anyone else has or does sit like this and is it anything to do with Autism.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 5:43 pm

No. My cousin does it, but she's definitely NT. I remember some kids from Primary School that could sit this way. It probably depends on hip joints.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 5:48 pm

I used to do that, but I don't think that it's related to autism. I could be wrong, though.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2010, 6:57 pm

There's term for that. It's called "W" sitting, because the legs take on roughly the shape of the letter W. It's fairly common among young children. I suspect that I did this quite a bit as a child, and I still occasionally catch myself doing this now. I try not too, though, because I know that it's really not good for your hips. I know that I get random hip pain/ stiffness/ discomfort every now and then, and I suspect it results from frequently "W" sitting as a child. It has to do with balance problems, which I definitely have. I don't W sit often anymore, because I know now that it can cause physical problems, but I still sit in all kinds of bizzarre ways to compensate for my difficulties with balance.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 7:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have just read an article on a baby website that explained the "w position" name and it was generally agreed there, also, in comments that it is not related to Autism. I am glad I stopped doing it then and glad I was advised about it so early!

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 7:32 pm

OuterBoroughGirl wrote:
There's term for that. It's called "W" sitting, because the legs take on roughly the shape of the letter W. It's fairly common among young children. I suspect that I did this quite a bit as a child, and I still occasionally catch myself doing this now. I try not too, though, because I know that it's really not good for your hips. I know that I get random hip pain/ stiffness/ discomfort every now and then, and I suspect it results from frequently "W" sitting as a child. It has to do with balance problems, which I definitely have. I don't W sit often anymore, because I know now that it can cause physical problems, but I still sit in all kinds of bizzarre ways to compensate for my difficulties with balance.

yeah...what she said. Actually it is bad for your back and hips. Our therapist trys to redirect my daughter into a (criss cross apple sauce) when she does it.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 7:33 pm

I used to do it a lot, especially when in school (crossing my legs like everyone else just wasn't as comfortable). When I was around 10, I was told that it was bad for the joints and I stopped doing it and lost the ability to do so soon after.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2010, 8:45 pm

Well... I'm sitting like that right now :lol:

Freak_Contagion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2010, 9:26 pm

I can do it, but it's uncomfortable. I usually prefer to sit in a half-lotus position, or cross-legged, with one leg completely on top of the other leg. I W-sit sometimes, but the closest I typically come to W-sitting is similar, but when you're sitting on your feet, you pull them both out to the same side. It is a bit more comfortable to me for some reason. Does anyone know if there is a name for this position?

Also, I've read and heard a lot that the whole thing about W-sitting being bad for you is not well-supported by any evidence or study.

I enjoy random PMs. ^.^

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 10:01 pm

i do this a lot. it's very comfortable. why is it bad?

if you lean all the way back until your shoulders touch the floor, it's a yoga posture. maybe it's ok if you don't do it for very long.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 11:16 am

I always sit on my knees whenever possible. (Not cross-legged, but my legs/heels underneath me.) I know it's definitely related to AS in my case, because it's the only position I truly feel comfortable and have the least sensory stimulation. I sit on my knees (without shoes) whenever possible. Otherwise, I am highly uncomfortable.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

HikariOkami
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2010, 5:35 pm

Oh wow, I just tried sitting like that, and it's REALLY comfortable! Thanks!

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 3:08 am

I don't think it has anything to do with autism because I knew a lot of kids who would sit that way when I was a kid & none of them are autistic.

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2010, 7:36 am

W sitting is bad for you. I used to sit like that but my knee started dislocating and i had to push my leg straight, it was painful.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 12:05 pm

HikariOkami wrote:
Oh wow, I just tried sitting like that, and it's REALLY comfortable! Thanks!

Hey, no problem, but I won't be held responsible for any health implications!