Making a family tree, tracing your ancestry

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

sefer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2010, 12:03 am

Has anyone done this? Got anyone good stories about your ancestors or anyone interesting in your family? Please share.
I'm thinking of doing it and finding out where I come from, because I have absolutely no idea where anyone in my family are from and I've now got an interest in history so this is part of it I guess.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 4:56 am

You're probably descended from an amoeba at some point, like the rest of us.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 9:47 am

Ances-Tree topic

Yes, I am working on one, am trying to find if any living cousins are also AS. I have not disclosed my AS to any I have contacted, for obvious reasons, but I am trying to discern if their responses to my questions are AS hints. Of course, they may not respond at all, but I give a hint in my profile: One of my interests is Neurodiversity. :D

We will see how it goes. :wink:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 12:27 pm

I love family trees. They're fun. :)

sylvr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2010, 12:44 pm

That's something my Grannie has done as long as I can remember. She's got huge amounts of filework done. And because she and my Granddad are retired, they can go on trips to wherever to pursue information.

Something interesting that was uncovered recently (or I just recently knew about) was that my dad's family is decended from Col. George T Burke, who was in the war of 1812. My grandparents have/d his sword. I got to try it out. :D

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 62 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 1:08 pm

Lol, if I were interested, I'd become a Polish politician and others would made my tree instead me. They're horrible and disgusting, especially if someone is Kashubian or Silesian :lol:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:21 pm

I have a very extensive family tree for my father's side of the family, dating back to the 1600s; it goes to the Mayflower. On my mother's side, however, I only have a few generations, as her grandparents were the first born here; the rest came from Germany, and I don't have access to those records.

Beyond a few interesting names, it really didn't reveal much. Well, it revealed that my great-uncle and I disagree about a few ancestors towards the very beginning (ie, ten generations out), but I think that's more from him not checking the dates (unless someone gave birth at 66, in which case they deserve a toast) than anything else. I did use Ancestry,com, as it was easiest, and someone who had the same great-great-great-great-great grandparents contacted me to say that my great-great-great-great grandfather did have siblings, but I ignored that. Oh, it also revealed a disowned uncle was dead, but that's it.

Three years!

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 3:14 pm

I find that very interesting. My husband's family has done extensive searches on their ancestry. I found out not long ago that my great grandmother on my fathers side was full Shawnee Indian. I have always been very interested in American Indians....it was the only part of American history I really enjoyed so it made me really excited.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 8:28 pm

My parents never like to tell me about my family, but I'd love to learn.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 2:42 am

As a child I liked to ask my gran about our family. I can't use, while describing her branch of family, such adjectives as bifurcated or forked - she was her parents' only child out of about 9, who survived to adulthood and had her own children - but her husband and my grandfather had several siblings and more distant relatives. I liked to draw family trees, placing all the relatives on them. But it was always just an amateurish searching for relatives because I never consulted anyone else than my own family about this. I don't know anything about the earlier ancestors of mine than my great grandparents's generation and, to some extent, great great grandparents' one - I know that my great gran had 3 siblings - 2 sisters and a brother who was her mom's son from her previous marriage and that my great great gran's name was Józefa (a very obsolete name here now).

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 2:47 am

Valoyossa wrote:
Lol, if I were interested, I'd become a Polish politician and others would made my tree instead me. They're horrible and disgusting, especially if someone is Kashubian or Silesian :lol:

To complete Val's post - you need to know they discovered that one of our politicians had a grandfather who used to be in Wehrmacht :twisted: It was a political scandal with a capital s :twisted:

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 6:38 am

Irulan wrote:
To complete Val's post - you need to know they discovered that one of our politicians had a grandfather who used to be in Wehrmacht :twisted: It was a political scandal with a capital s :twisted:

Especially in Eastern Poland. Pomerania and Silesia didn't care.
It was a part of black PR during presidential campaign. Some people took this information as a scandal and they voted second candidate that won. So it's why I said it's disgusting.
If it was one normal day, nobody would care.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Chloe Thomas
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2017, 11:02 am

Hi! I haven't been here for a long time. I know this thread is old, but I want to share my experience. I have been working on my family tree. For its creation I found a great genealogy software called MyHeritage from http://www.beautifullife.info/web-design/best-family-tree-builders/. This online program allows me to go through a large amount of documents and interact with other genealogists. Also it is possible to download the original file of document connected to my ancestors. I should say, this software really helps me. And I hope my children will continue building this family tree.