Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2010, 9:27 pm

I’d like some help with a used Nintendo DS Lite I purchased, please. The person who I won it from on eBay said it needed a new battery. I tried to plug it into the charger, and I realize the battery isn’t good, but the orange LED turns on just for a moment and I see no other activity, and it can’t turn on. Is this simply an indication that I need a new battery? Once I get one, will that fix this problem, or is there something else I should be looking at? I was under the impression it would work with the battery taken out, plugged into the charger, but it does not. Granted, I’ve heard you shouldn’t do this, so I immediately stopped that kind of testing.

Thanks so much for your help!

- Vash

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 1:06 am

Some peripherals are made that way - when the battery is dead, they can't function even while plugged in. It's poor design, and I doubt that Nintendo DS is that badly designed, however it is still possible...

I can only recommend more googling...

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2010, 10:44 am

Well, the individual who sold it to me says the reason the battery is dead is because he dropped it, so I can assume there's mechanical damage to the battery.

Thanks for the reply!

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 4:09 pm

He dropped the battery or the DS? Unless he dropped the battery when it's been taken out, how can he be sure the damage is limited to the battery?

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2010, 5:02 pm

I mean yeah, he dropped the battery specifically while it was removed, not the unit together.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 3:16 am

Well, I cannot guarantee the battery will work. I am unsure if batteries can be purchased as a single unit, worth a try though. I should say the battery will be unrepairable. May I ask how much you paid for it. If you were purchasing a DSl with no battery, I would imagine the DSl would cost around $100, did you pay more or less???

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2010, 10:43 am

I ordered a new battery; Nintendo does sell them as individual units on their website luckily!

It was a DS Lite, and I paid much less than that, and got a few games with it.

I wouldn't ever try to repair the battery on its own - that's potenitally very dangerous.

JakeGrover
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2010, 5:33 pm

Yeah, there's probably more damage than the battery. But, maybe that's what the DS is supposed to do when it's battery is dead. Hmmm...

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2010, 11:49 am

I really hope there isn't any other damage. I looked up Nintendo's online troubleshooting, and it didn't seem to think so, but I would have thought it would turn on without the battery. In any case, I should get it soon.

Thanks for all the responses!