Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Xule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2010, 3:47 am

Paul Gray of Slipknot, 38, was found dead yesterday in a hotel room. Cause currently unknown.
I seriously can't believe this. The Pig is dead! WTF? I wonder what the others will do. Hopefully the band can continue without him :cry:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 7:09 am

May he rest in peace. :cry:

Tach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2010, 7:25 am

It's a dang shame too, he made good music.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 10:17 am

Also, his wife is expecting.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 10:57 am

I have a friend who used to be obsessed with Slipknot. I wonder how he'll take the news?

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2010, 8:44 pm

8O

I didn't know about this.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 May 2010, 9:08 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
May he rest in peace. :cry:

If only that's how he died, but I bet it was an overdose.

The former things have passed away."

Fehndrix
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2010, 12:30 am

Autopsy found no cause of death, so I'm guessing nothing drug-related. No foul play either so hmm.....

Watching the press conference now. Man, this is rough...Corey's choking up :(

May he rest in peace. He seemed like a cool dude.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 3:34 am

Fehndrix wrote:
Autopsy found no cause of death, so I'm guessing nothing drug-related. No foul play either so hmm.....

There will be a toxicology report in about six weeks.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 3:59 am

I'm getting choked up.

Actually I sat here for like 10 minutes sobbing away when I found out. I'm not afraid to admit it.

The other day I was listening to the Iowa album on my iPod at work, and I was paying attention to the bass lines. I was admiring their composition, and I decided that he is now one of my favorites. He fits right up there with the other bassists I rank as being the greatest. There was some technical stuff, and there was plenty of melody going on despite the aggressiveness of the songs.

He was there from the beginning of Slipknot, and a loss of a main-lineup Slipknot on top of other recent music related deaths and every other negative situation making impact on the world, it was too much for me. I only became a fan around three years ago, but since then, Slipknot were, to me, an anchor in this world. When someone f***s with you or you feel such anger and hatred at any and all negativity, Slipknot could help you beat it down and purge yourself. Slipknot, however Satanic they wanted to make themselves out to be, they were everything Good in this world. They were not afraid to show their displeasure at what was going on. They didn't see the need to follow the Bible's every word to see that the world is alright and there will be Salvation made easy. They were the everyman's rebel, you could tune in and hear that they agree with you, and that they care.

Paul Gray was a part of that. And he played a role, giving that bottom end to the thrashing "Heretic Anthem," yet with much compositional skill. He didn't just sit back and enjoy it, but he gave it his all. And you could clearly see that he was living a nice life and was keeping himself in the right state of mind. He had a wife and an unborn child on the way, and with the unclear results it at least lets us know that it was not a death of self-abuse. He did us a favor by forming Slipknot. He gave us a real gift. He wanted to put the word out there. He wanted to show us that we didn't need to commit murder or abuse our bodies with drugs and hurt our relationships with the ones who care about us. It was in the music. The music was there for us to use to purge ourselves of the negativity.

And out of all of us, it helped him.

(I'm not a great writer so I probably mentioned Slipknot too much, but it was more intended to be a tribute to him.)

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2010, 4:15 am

I'm pleasantly surprised that no one has spoke out against this band yet, given that a lot of people just love to rip on bands like Slipknot and completely ignore their artistic integrity just because they happen to have a tedious fanbase — as if it's somehow Slipknot's fault that these people can relate to the anger in their music. ZOMG wat psoers!!!11

Xule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2010, 4:59 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
I'm getting choked up.

Actually I sat here for like 10 minutes sobbing away when I found out. I'm not afraid to admit it.

Don't worry, I cried too. Like a baby >.>
@ Technikilor: Yeah, me too. In fact the only place where I've seen negative comments was on GaiaOnline, but that site's filled with stuck-up teenagers anyway. It seems in spite of what people may say about Slipknot, they had respect for them. Which they definately deserve. Even if you don't like their music they're a bunch of really nice guys. None of them deserved this.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 5:13 pm

There were people who couldn't stand Slipknot's music but would pay big money to see them play live.

But overall, you can't help but to respect Slipknot. They also have the best fans in the world, and that's not just my opinion.

I saw them live last year, and I was proud to be in that audience. They showed up over an hour late (this happens each time I go to a concert, oddly). Each time there was a minor sound or the curtain would just randomly move, everybody in the house would just applaud. Every now and then, everyone was shouting "SLIPKNOT!! SLIPKNOT!! SLIPKNOT!!" And then everyone would applaud or scream after that.

I've been to a lot of concerts, but have never seen so much love and hype than what was going on in that show.

Technikilor wrote:
I'm pleasantly surprised that no one has spoke out against this band yet, given that a lot of people just love to rip on bands like Slipknot and completely ignore their artistic integrity just because they happen to have a tedious fanbase — as if it's somehow Slipknot's fault that these people can relate to the anger in their music. ZOMG wat psoers!!!11

It's basically the same with every death. All the negativity just gets filtered out. Then you can't tell the difference between the real fans and people jumping on the R.I.P. bandwagon.