What is this classic Sesame Street song supposed to parody?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2010, 11:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mAfxJb7c5Q

This is a song I've loved ever since I was a kid, and because it seems to be parodying some sort of alternative rock song/band from the '80s (and b/c I'm a classic SS/Muppets geek, lol :P ) I still love it today! I've never (or should I say "n-n-n-never"...you'll see why if you click the link ;) ) been able to figure out what this a parody of, though. To me it sounds vaguely like a Talking Heads/Blondie type parody. For some reason, when I was little, I thought it sounded a bit like "Loser" by Beck (that song was really popular at the time they showed this skit a lot from what I remember), though I now consider that comparison to be off since this song is synth-heavy in the chorus. All that being said, could someone please tell me what they think this song and/or band might be a parody of?!

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 3:31 pm

GriffinGuitar12 wrote:

This is a song I've loved ever since I was a kid, and because it seems to be parodying some sort of alternative rock song/band from the '80s (and b/c I'm a classic SS/Muppets geek, lol :P ) I still love it today! I've never (or should I say "n-n-n-never"...you'll see why if you click the link ;) ) been able to figure out what this a parody of, though. To me it sounds vaguely like a Talking Heads/Blondie type parody. For some reason, when I was little, I thought it sounded a bit like "Loser" by Beck (that song was really popular at the time they showed this skit a lot from what I remember), though I now consider that comparison to be off since this song is synth-heavy in the chorus. All that being said, could someone please tell me what they think this song and/or band might be a parody of?!

Sounds like a higher pitched Tom Petty.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2010, 9:24 pm

Ackman wrote:
GriffinGuitar12 wrote:

Sounds like a higher pitched Tom Petty.

Jerry Nelson voiced the character. Generally speaking, he sounds kinda like that, only with a bit more of a New York accent (exception - The Count, ironically his most famous character :P )

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 7:09 pm

Oh my gosh, I loved that! :)

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 4:29 am

I don't know what the song is based on (if anything), but perhaps the name Nick Normal is a homage to Steve Strange (the lead singer with Visage)?

According to the muppet wiki (!), Nick Normal's look might be based on that of Sid Vicious. http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Nick_Norma ... Nickmatics