Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Encapsulated within a skull; covered in sheets of skin

26 May 2010, 1:25 am

I don’t have a job.
I don’t go to school.
I don’t have acquaintances.
I don’t have friends.
I just stay at home doing the things that I do.

I used to have friends, but I abandoned them all because they were stupid. Not ‘stupid’ in the sense that I didn’t like them, but ‘stupid’ in the way the word was meant to be used - low intelligence! (Hooray! I use words accurately!)

If every potential friend I can get is as stupid as the ones I had, then I don’t want any friends and never will. Such people are worse than a buzz kill. And so I now have a requirement that to be my friend, a person has to be at least a little bit dumber than me. If it’s moderately so, then it’s a “no” (unless you’re an attractive girl).

Is anyone else here like this? Does anyone else have no social network or close to it? And more importantly, is anyone like this for the same reason as I am?

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 1:27 am

You do now. Welcome to Wrong Planet. :-)

MrDiamondMind
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2010, 1:39 am

This barely counts, as there's no particular person(s) that I talk to here. I'm just talking to faceless masses (not derogatory).

kwilky
Raven
Raven

26 May 2010, 2:21 am

I don't either, though I'm working on developing a small one. I'm in the same boat as you right now though.

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2010, 3:42 am

That's why I'm addicted to the internet and Facebook. It's my only social outlet.

MrDiamondMind wrote:
This barely counts, as there's no particular person(s) that I talk to here. I'm just talking to faceless masses (not derogatory).

That's what creating yourself an online personality is for.

kwilky
Raven
Raven

26 May 2010, 5:07 am

Technikilor wrote:
That's why I'm addicted to the internet and Facebook. It's my only social outlet.

Same.

Llixgrjb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2010, 5:26 am

MrDiamondMind wrote:
I used to have friends, but I abandoned them all because they were stupid. Not ‘stupid’ in the sense that I didn’t like them, but ‘stupid’ in the way the word was meant to be used - low intelligence! (Hooray! I use words accurately!)

I hope your idea of the right kind of company isn't a gaggle of Mensans. If that's the case you may want to lower the bar a bit.

People have the wrong idea about camaraderie these days anyway. They mistake hyper-connectedness and full disclosure of useless information over the internet for actual human-to-human communication. Sometimes you are your best company; I would rather choose to live a rich and fulfilling solitary life than that of a social butterfly whose friends are many but whose relationships are empty and meaningless.

You are in a unique position - untethered by the demands of a 9-to-5 job, social obligations, homework - you could use that extra time to pick up new skills and turn yourself into a Renaissance man. Look to Thoreau, Einstein, Emily Dickinson, Dick Proenneke, Brian Wilson, Glenn Gould...

HenryKrinkle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2010, 6:36 am

MrDiamondMind wrote:
Is anyone else here like this? Does anyone else have no social network or close to it? And more importantly, is anyone like this for the same reason as I am?

Yes, yes and yes.

I'm currently in the process of trying to improve things though. If you're that intelligent you should be able to structure a plan to go about doing the same thing, assuming you want to.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 6:44 am

I don't really have any friends as such. I don't go to school or have a job either. I have my family, though, and that to me is what matters.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 7:38 am

There are a lot of types of intelligence - and just because someone isn't "smart" doesn't preclude them from being a good person or a good friend. Most of the friends I have had in my life weren't intellectual giants, but they accepted me and were fun to be around and that matters more to me than some ignorant jerk with a high IQ. That said, there's nothing wrong with not having friends - I'm fine with having my online friends/acquaintances.

HenryKrinkle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2010, 9:34 am

One of my favourite "people" at the moment is my brother's dog. Needless to say he's no intellectual giant but he enriches my life and that's what it comes down to.

MrDiamondMind
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2010, 10:18 pm

Llixgrjb wrote:
I hope your idea of the right kind of company isn't a gaggle of Mensans. If that's the case you may want to lower the bar a bit. I would rather choose to live a rich and fulfilling solitary life than that of a social butterfly whose friends are many but whose relationships are empty and meaningless.

If I lower my bar by a bit, then I will have that empty and meaningless life.

Llixgrjb wrote:
You are in a unique position - untethered by the demands of a 9-to-5 job, social obligations, homework - you could use that extra time to pick up new skills and turn yourself into a Renaissance man. Look to Thoreau, Einstein, Emily Dickinson, Dick Proenneke, Brian Wilson, Glenn Gould…

I’m actually doing something like that. I’m writing a novella that I hope to publish when done. I’d post an excerpt, but that might get my story denied for publication. The story’s not average, or even merely above average; I wouldn’t have mentioned it as a response to ‘turning myself into a Renaissance man’ if it was.

HenryKrinkle wrote:
One of my favourite "people" at the moment is my brother's dog. Needless to say he's no intellectual giant but he enriches my life and that's what it comes down to.

I have a cat. He’s my best friend as well.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:14 am

I'm in the same boat. I'm not in school and hope to God I never have to go again for any reason. No options for friends at work and my work schedule makes it very hard to do many social activities. There are some people I play board games with once or twice a month, but due to all of us being at different situations in life, they're not people I'd just invite over to hang out with.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2010, 11:23 am

What exactly do you want to get out of the social contacts and what are you willing to give? It seems like you'd need to know that before you could make any meaningful human connections.

sinsyokka
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 5:35 pm

I was too unusual and I barely have much friends ever since the diagnosis, for some reason, they just don't want to get to know me anymore? :cry:

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 6:00 pm

sinsyokka wrote:
I was too unusual and I barely have much friends ever since the diagnosis, for some reason, they just don't want to get to know me anymore? :cry:

Sorry to hear that, this might sound abit harsh to you but I'm not doing this to offend or attack you, but your friends weren't really worth it or really true if they suddenly just left you just because of a label, imo, its just pretty ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure you still have some friends around on the brightside, if your seriously feeling that down, why don't you talk to someone who has been there for you, I had to do that and that actually did clear alot of things from my head which I'm pleased about and I thank him so much for doing that. :D

I'm pretty much myself again. :)

Currently Blint is stable and is undergoing physio. She is now able to walk with assistance and slow restoration of her right arm. Full recovery is looking promising, once again, thank you tremendously for your support. Signature is updated accordingly based on her recovery.