Who do you think that will win 2010´s Soccer World Cup?

Page 1 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 9:32 pm

So who do you think will win FIFA World Cup at South Africa? I´m not so much into soccer but I guess that nobody posted a thread about that I felt that I should post it. Especially living in a country where everybody is fanatic about soccer (but me!). So, do you people like soccer or watch soccer games? Are you excited about the world cup? Any favourites? We could bet who will win the cup! :) (kidding!).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 1:48 am

I think that England will win it again, after 44 long years.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 10:10 am

Germany, Italy or Brazil. I think that one of them.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 10:49 am

After the Confederation Cup last year with Team USA doing some real damage to many egos except Brazil. I am going for USA, South Africa, Czech Republic (If they are in it) and Germany as my picks. I can't see England since their first match is with Team USA after all.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 11:08 am

No idea who will win, don't care too much either, I'm just dreading all the hype and football talk :lol:

Last edited by Asp-Z on 02 Jun 2010, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2010, 7:27 pm

Im getting rather excited about it.

I dont think england have enough to win it, or even perform particularly well, though there doesn't seem to be any one or two teams who stand out against the rest. Pretty much all of the main contenders seem to have their faults.

The likes of Brazil and Germany are big tournament teams so theyll probably do well.

Though i would probably say Holland could be a bit of a dark horse (im not sure if they'll win it, but i wouldnt be suprised if they got very far)....and nobody i know seems to be talking much about Portugal anymore so they might have a chance.

Though i'd need to have a proper look at the teams and the passages into the final, before i make a decision.

Also, on a bit of a side note, i watched the North Korea Vs Greece match earlier in the week, and North Korea look like a tidy little side. Granted, they're not going to reach the second round but i wouldn't be suprised if they snatched a point or two off Portugal, Brazil or Ivory Coast, so that group could end up being quite interesting and i wouldn't be suprised if one of brazil or portugal dont qualify for the second round.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 5:18 am

JerryHatake wrote:
After the Confederation Cup last year with Team USA doing some real damage to many egos except Brazil. I am going for USA, South Africa, Czech Republic (If they are in it) and Germany as my picks. I can't see England since their first match is with Team USA after all.

The Czech Republic aren't in it (unfortunately).
South Africa are in a difficult group (with France, Mexico and Uruguay). No host nation has ever failed to reach the second round before, but I think South Africa might struggle.
I don't think England will win, but Capello is a good manager, and I think England might reach the semis.
Germany always seem to do well, but I don't see them winning it.
My (oh so predictable) pick has to be Brazil, followed by Spain.
I also predict I will watch fewer matches at this World Cup than at any since 1986. :)

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2010, 11:16 am

Spain to win it but I still want England to win it.

Cumulus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 2:48 pm

I think the Netherlands might win it. And I hope they do! I mean, they have really great players like Arjen Robben or Wesley Sneijder and if Robben plays like he did this year with Bayern München, then no other team will have a chance against them.

And I just hope that Germany won't win it (yes, I'm german, but they always play so terrible). Everyone who watched the 2008 European Championship has to agree that the only reason why they were in the final was pure luck. And most of the other people in Germany think it was because they played good. Where did they have their eyes :roll: ?

WeatherFreak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jun 2010, 2:53 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

England win? , england are nothing but a bunch of crying babies with excesive salaries

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 4:06 pm

The sequence of World Cup winners between 1970 and 1994 followed a symmetrical pattern. I remember some people saying in the run up to the World Cup in 1998 that England were destined to win because of this pattern and the fact that they'd won it in 1966, but France ruined things by winning in 1998 instead.

World Cup winners 1966-1998

1966 England
1970 --------Brazil
1974 ----------------West Germany
1978 ------------------------Argentina
1982 --------------------------------Italy
1986 ------------------------Argentina
1999 ----------------West Germany
1994 --------Brazil
1998 France

Topcat16
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2010, 4:44 pm

spain are best on paper but i find for more not lucky enough, i expect a strong performance from ivory coast knocking portugal out or even possibly a shock brazil group stage exit, but i think england will reach semis, italy look old but dangerous and could be an outside contender, however that being said european teams hardly ever win the world cup outside of europe

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 8:19 pm

Topcat16 wrote:
spain are best on paper but i find for more not lucky enough, i expect a strong performance from ivory coast knocking portugal out or even possibly a shock brazil group stage exit, but i think england will reach semis, italy look old but dangerous and could be an outside contender, however that being said european teams hardly ever win the world cup outside of europe

does everyone forget that Spain the number 1 in the world last year lost to #14 USA in the Confederation Cup semifinals? yea maybe a fluke but a win is a win. so the USA could be a contender since England will be a good test for them to open group play.

jaspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jun 2010, 6:07 am

WeatherFreak wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

England win? , england are nothing but a bunch of crying babies with excesive salaries

Completely agree with WeatherFreak. I think Brazil,Spain or Germany with Argentina a possible contender if Messi or Tevez play at their best.
England don't have a captain.

WeatherFreak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jun 2010, 6:46 am

jaspie wrote:
WeatherFreak wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Completely agree with WeatherFreak. I think Brazil,Spain or Germany with Argentina a possible contender if Messi or Tevez play at their best.
England don't have a captain.

They do now :oops:

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 6:24 pm

I've got a theory that the altitude in South Africa might make a difference. Teams who are used to the thin air may have an advantage.
Here is a list of the main competing countries and selected cities with their approximate heights above sea level. It'll be interesting to see how each team copes

Mexico - Mexico City 7400 ft
South Africa -Johannesburg 5200 ft
Brazil - Sao paolo 3000 ft
Spain - Madrid 2800 ft
USA - Los Angeles 2700 ft
Switzerland- Zurich 2000 ft
Germany - Munich 1700 ft
France - Lyon 1000 ft
Italy - Milan 500 ft
England -Manchester 150 ft
Holland - Amsterdam 0 ft

As a Scotsman I might even find myself supporting England as the underdogs,if altitude is going to play a part.I'd like to see USA do well though,especially as they have 2 players with connections to Glasgow Rangers in Scotland.