Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:22 pm

Do you think Aspies and Gays have a lot in common and a lot to share with each other? To my experience, people with AS are more likely to be gay but most are still straight, but even the straight ones (myself included) do not feel as defined by their sex. I'm male but I feel no shame in doing a lot of stereotypically feminine things, and quite a few big guy things, such as sports, holds almost zero interest to me.

Plus, aspies and gays tend to be more into the arts (a stereotype, but a somewhat true one, imo). I kind of wonder if both aspies and gays are genetically meant to be the culture-creators of a tribe.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:32 pm

I dunno... I'm both. I identify more with the autistic community than the gay community, though, due to the fact that gays are just as NT as the rest of the population and I can't connect with them.

Strange though, as I was sure I was gay when I was 22, but I didn't know I was autistic until a month ago. Shows just how strong that identity is. Aside from not being able to socialize with gay men, I have also just been completely disappointed and frustrated with them. It's like gay men have NT traits times five...

Which I guess means that I disagree with your assessment, Donnie. I think superficially, homosexuals and Aspies have similarities, but at a deeper level they are very different.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:33 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
I dunno... I'm both. I identify more with the autistic community than the gay community, though, due to the fact that gays are just as NT as the rest of the population and I can't connect with them.

Strange though, as I was sure I was gay when I was 22, but I didn't know I was autistic until a month ago. Shows just how strong that identity is. Aside from not being able to socialize with gay men, I have also just been completely disappointed and frustrated with them. It's like gay men have NT traits times five...

Which I guess means that I disagree with your assessment, Donnie. I think superficially, homosexuals and Aspies have similarities, but at a deeper level they are very different.

Interesting perspective. Thank you.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 1:33 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
I dunno... I'm both. I identify more with the autistic community than the gay community, though, due to the fact that gays are just as NT as the rest of the population and I can't connect with them. Aside from not being able to socialize with gay men, I have also just been completely disappointed and frustrated with them. It's like gay men have NT traits times five...

+1 [billion].

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 2:10 pm

your talking f*****g nonsense. gays couldn't be a tribes culture people because there not evolutionary viable. and for aspies and gays thats some strong generalizations that i find offensive. think before you say something stupid like that again.

aziraphale
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2010, 2:40 pm

I don't think there is any alliance between us, yet. I think once the neurodiversity movement takes off, the gays will be our greatest allies. I am queer and Aspergian and identify with both cultures strongly. Most of the LGBTQ people I have met either were pro-neurodiversity before meeting me or became pro-neurodiversity after meeting me, some quite strongly so. LGBTQ people have experienced discrimination themselves and they know what it's like to be thought "diseased." I am gathering people for a real life autistic civil rights group and many of the people who said they might join were LGBTQ.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 2:57 pm

thedaywalker wrote:
your talking f***ing nonsense. gays couldn't be a tribes culture people because there not evolutionary viable. and for aspies and gays thats some strong generalizations that i find offensive. think before you say something stupid like that again.

They can and do have children sometimes before coming out.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 2:59 pm

thedaywalker wrote:
your talking f***ing nonsense. gays couldn't be a tribes culture people because there not evolutionary viable. and for aspies and gays thats some strong generalizations that i find offensive. think before you say something stupid like that again.

what are you prejudice to gay people or something? being aspie you should know how it feels to be a minority.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 3:08 pm

thedaywalker wrote:
there not evolutionary viable

Assuming you mean "they're not evolutionarily viable":

1) There is no purpose to evolution, no standards of fitness, and no guarantee that any particular kind of trait will prosper, so "evolutionary viability" is not a useful concept.

and 2) You are simply wrong. Sexuality is quite as complicated as any other spectrum, and is certainly not polarised into breeding heterosexuals and sterile homosexuals.

Quote:
aspies and gays thats some strong generalizations that i find offensive

You are free to take offence at whatever you like, but that's your problem.

The year is still young.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 3:19 pm

of course it isn't that simple but you have to admit that its not logical that homosexual people exist.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 3:20 pm

Their could be. But my opinion is somewhat biased b/c I'm on the autism spectrum & have both friends & parents who are gay. We at least have being misunderstood by the majority in common. :D

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 3:24 pm

thedaywalker wrote:
of course it isn't that simple but you have to admit that its not logical that homosexual people exist.

I thought that too when I was young. But if you think about it, a lot of things that exists are not logical & I eventually realized it does make sense when you consider that it does occur in other species besides humans (proving relationships/mating is not purely for procreation). Sexuality is affected to a large extent by emotion. Emotion & logic need to be combined when thinking about sexuality.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 3:25 pm

Peko wrote:
thedaywalker wrote:

I thought that too when I was young. But if you think about it, a lot of things that exists are not logical & I eventually realized it does make sense when you consider that it does occur in other species besides humans (proving relationships/mating is not purely for procreation). Sexuality is affected to a large extent by emotion. Emotion & logic need to be combined when thinking about sexuality.

My theory is that gay people, like aspies, biological purpose is to entertain and innovate, since they're less likely to have kids.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 3:36 pm

saying that homosexual people are more creative is just strange. there is no evidence to base that on. i think that peko is right that sex isn't only for reproduction. still i think that its weird people exist that wouldn't want to have sex with people from a different sex. ow and the idea of biological purpose in itself is absurd purpose doesn't exist in nature. the only thing one could say anyone is meant to do is reproduce and thats still is shady. creativity is just a way of showing that you would be good at reproducing.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 3:43 pm

thedaywalker wrote:
saying that homosexual people are more creative is just strange. there is no evidence to base that on. i think that peko is right that sex isn't only for reproduction. still i think that its weird people exist that wouldn't want to have sex with people from a different sex. ow and the idea of biological purpose in itself is absurd purpose doesn't exist in nature. the only thing one could say anyone is meant to do is reproduce and thats still is shady. creativity is just a way of showing that you would be good at reproducing.

Ducks do it too. There are many animals who have sex with members of their own gender.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 4:04 pm

I definitely see the two groups on parallel trajectories in society, but at different points. Gays were once oppressed in the Western world, and homosexuality was a mental illness until the 1970s. Nowadays, gay people find acceptance in much of the West.

I think us Aspies are moving on the same path in society, though we started the journey much later than gays did. No one knew what autism was a generation ago. No, we are just starting to raise awareness, and get away from marginalization. It'll take decades, but we'll be in the same spot gays enjoy today.