Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 3:59 pm

I believe in Jesus Christ but I think He came here to teach people how to form the Kingdom of God - based on the building blocks of teaching people how to perform miracles (which is actually ESP), and how to forgive and love your neighbor instead of hold grudges and love only yourself and your family.

I do not believe in Hell. To me, it seems incompatible with Jesus' message, and I think it was either put in there later by people who wanted to make Christianity a more authoritarian religion or the idea was just totally misunderstood. I'm told I'm supposed to believe in Hell though, what do you think? Is it having your cake and eating it too to think the idea is actually a misunderstanding and Christ's salvation is for EVERYONE and not just nice people who are believers?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 4:44 pm

A friend of mine once joked that the biggest impediment to universalism was Jesus. The reason he said that was because a number of passages that seemed pro hell were in the Gospels, while a lot of the stuff that goes against it seems to be found elsewhere.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 4:47 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
A friend of mine once joked that the biggest impediment to universalism was Jesus. The reason he said that was because a number of passages that seemed pro hell were in the Gospels, while a lot of the stuff that goes against it seems to be found elsewhere.

huh oddly that is true. though i kind of suspect that 1) the gospel writers added that part in or 2) hell was actually just a metaphor and the gospel writers totally got it wrong

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 4:50 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
huh oddly that is true. though i kind of suspect that 1) the gospel writers added that part in or 2) hell was actually just a metaphor and the gospel writers totally got it wrong

I think that positing 1 undermines the historical basis of faith though. The reason being that if authors are doctoring major doctrines in the religion, then who is to say that much of the religion itself isn't a result of various people corrupting it? I mean, I suppose you could try fideism, but I don't see the point.

2 is the best bet.