Odd sensation relating to painful thoughts.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 1:55 am

I noticed, when something made me think about someone who dumped me some months ago, what felt like a sudden eruption of a weak gun battery in my chest. I wonder if that was a flutter of my lungs or a skipped heartbeat - or perhaps some other local muscle. It was a bit surprising, much like being sucker-punched.
Kind of interesting, though, now that the shock has settled.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 May 2010, 6:49 am

I've noticed feelings like that for years now(long story) It feels like there's something inside my chest sometimes. I've talked to a few docs about it cuz I was seeing em for mental stuff & I've even had a couple medical test done & nothing seems to be physically wrong there. All docs think it's mental related. I don't notice it as much now but I'm not sure if it's cuz my thoughts are less painful or because I've grown accustomed to it IDK. I would recommend mentioning it to a doc if your seeing one for physical or mental problems in case it could be related to something else they are treating you for

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 6:54 am

I tend to feel like a cup of scalding acid has been splashed on my guts.. I think it's normal for different people to describe severe emotion in different ways.

I knew one lady who described herself as 'drowning'. It took me ages to realise she was being metaphorical.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 6:59 am

If I'm severely depressed I get a sensation like something crawling around in my chest cavity, sort of. But it lasts for hours and hours.

Also at times I'll have a painful/unpleasant memory pop into my head and it'll set off a tic or a grunt or vocalization and such (Tourettish type stuff). Have no idea what that is.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 8:50 am

Odd sensations... can't live with 'em w/o feeling really weird

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 11:43 am

Sometimes I feel like someone is grasping and squeezing my heart with their fist.

Last edited by Moog on 28 May 2010, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert_Darkwinters
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2010, 11:51 am

The painful sensation is caused by hormones/chemicals being released by the bran that cause the heart to have problems. these hormones are to deal with issues going on inside the brain, so the heart is dealt with second by release of other hormones from both the brain and the heart. I think it was the valves closing more, but it could also be the cardiac muscle itself having problems, or something else.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 3:17 pm

I've definately felt like the OP describes. I have similar feelings when I think about mistakes I have made in the past - a painful heart flutter (followed generally by a head tic like turning abruptly to one side as well as usually clenching or waving a fist and muttered cursing myself for being a fool :P)

Another sensation that happens to me is if I feel a feeling of great despair and betrayal (eg a partner that I completely trusted has let me down in some large way) .. it hurts in my shoulders. I feel like something very heavy is pressing down on my shoulders and I need to slump over. The muscles there also feel very tight and painful. And at the same time the rest of my body kind of goes numb and tingly and feels like it doesn't entirely exist anymore.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 3:00 am

mitharatowen wrote:
I've definately felt like the OP describes. I have similar feelings when I think about mistakes I have made in the past - a painful heart flutter (followed generally by a head tic like turning abruptly to one side as well as usually clenching or waving a fist and muttered cursing myself for being a fool :P)

Another sensation that happens to me is if I feel a feeling of great despair and betrayal (eg a partner that I completely trusted has let me down in some large way) .. it hurts in my shoulders. I feel like something very heavy is pressing down on my shoulders and I need to slump over. The muscles there also feel very tight and painful. And at the same time the rest of my body kind of goes numb and tingly and feels like it doesn't entirely exist anymore.

Yeah, that too. If I remember doing something clumsy years ago, I flail a little and cringe. :P

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

Freak_Contagion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2010, 4:02 am

Usually, the initial shock of a break-up with someone I felt really close to is makes my stomach feel weird, like a million butterflies are trying to escape by running into the walls of it. When I think back on it though, it usually feels like a combination of my heart trying to jump out of my chest, and some weird thick cloudy substance gathering all over it and holding it back. >.> It's mostly tingly and heavy sensations, to describe the sensations more objectively.

Thinking back to severe past mistakes gives me a weird feeling in my head. I can't seem to remember or invoke it right now. It takes some pretty serious screw-ups of this kind for me to really care about them in retrospect.

I enjoy random PMs. ^.^

f23fh
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 May 2010, 5:17 am

Lene wrote:
I tend to feel like a cup of scalding acid has been splashed on my guts.. I think it's normal for different people to describe severe emotion in different ways.

I knew one lady who described herself as 'drowning'. It took me ages to realise she was being metaphorical.

For me, it's like my chest cavity is being crushed by an invisible vice. Hooray for emotional pain!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2010, 6:06 pm

Robert_Darkwinters wrote:
The painful sensation is caused by hormones/chemicals being released by the bran that cause the heart to have problems. these hormones are to deal with issues going on inside the brain, so the heart is dealt with second by release of other hormones from both the brain and the heart. I think it was the valves closing more, but it could also be the cardiac muscle itself having problems, or something else.

I thought the brain was just imagining it instead of it having chemical/hormone causes. This may be slightly off topic here but could things like sympathy pains be somehow related to chemicals/hormones as well :?: Like if your close to someone who's feeling sick & you start feeling sick as well or if they have back pain issues & you start having back pain or if she's having the monthly thing & you get stomach craps :? Could mental meds or something help with that :?: I'm not rite

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 5:29 am

nick007 wrote:
Robert_Darkwinters wrote:

I thought the brain was just imagining it instead of it having chemical/hormone causes. This may be slightly off topic here but could things like sympathy pains be somehow related to chemicals/hormones as well :?: Like if your close to someone who's feeling sick & you start feeling sick as well or if they have back pain issues & you start having back pain or if she's having the monthly thing & you get stomach craps :? Could mental meds or something help with that :?: I'm not rite

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Psychosomatic-Disorders.htm

Last edited by PLA on 02 Jun 2010, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 6:39 pm

Yuck. I can't stand those feelings. Hence the rental girls.