Are you a minimalist in terms of lifestyle?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

johnny_the_greek
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 May 2010, 8:00 pm

Are you or have you ever been a minimalist? By that I mean do you hate owning many material things and would you prefer to live in a minimalist house that has only the bare essentials and things that are affiliated with your special interests (for example, CDs, DVDs, etc.)?

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 8:10 pm

I prefer simple style. I don't like things what are made only for catching the dust. I don't like unnecessary things.
My room is full of CDs and books, but I keep myself far away from decors or toys.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 8:14 pm

I don't hate owning many material things, it just doesn't interest me all that much. I'd be happy with the essentials and things relating to my interest.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Sholf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2010, 8:24 pm

Having too much crap offends my design sensibility. I like things to be efficient, cheap, and require minimal care. That's why I don't think I'll ever own a car.

Bowser
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 May 2010, 8:43 pm

Now that I think about it, I kind of am. My roommate and other college friends would often suggest things like putting up some posters and would point out how my bedspread is just a solid red without any other colors and other things of the like. And it's true, I like things organized and not too complicated.

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2010, 8:50 pm

Sort of.

The things I like to spend money on are not typical for an NT, I think. I would rather spend my time buying a book than shopping for designer shoes. I don't care about jewelry or other status symbols. But I do like having my books. :lol:

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 May 2010, 9:15 pm

hard to say, I've never been able to buy whatever I wanted, and coming from a lower class family I learned not to take everything for granted and thus I've become good a making the most of w/e I have and save money if necessary. Pretty much all my interests are cheap, as they involve reading books (which I download), programming (which I can make money off), mathematics and computers (only have to buy a pc every 3-4 years). So I guess that I'm pretty much a minimalis - if not from birth, then atleast I've become one. I don't like to have a lot of stuff, I'm not a collector and rid myself of whatever I don't need.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 9:20 pm

No. I love being surrounded by goods related to my special interests, especially posters and DVDs. I also prefer bedsheets/spreads that have designs on them.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2010, 9:24 pm

When I lived alone very much so. Pretty much all I spent money on was books. But, since I've been married I'm surrounded by 'things'. My wife enjoys shopping and it pleases her to have her stuff around her. However, I have one small room that is mine alone where I can retreat to when necessary and it is very sparse; except for books, of course. So, it works for both of us.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 9:24 pm

I used to be more of minimulist but not as much anymore. Still in comparison to other people, i have a lot less stuff then other people. Right now im in college and I live in the dorms. When it comes to moving stuff in and out it doesnt take me nearly as long as other people because I dont have a lot of stuff.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2010, 9:53 pm

Before my husband and I started living together, my living space never had any decorations and I slept on a mattress on the floor. Only other piece of furniture was a bookcase. Simply, easy to clean, and low on visual clutter. Also, it was hard to misplace things and kept me organized.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 10:23 pm

If I understand you correctly, I'm not a minimalist...but I don't like to collect stuff just for the looks of it or because I like to have 'nice things' either.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 10:25 pm

Until about five years ago, I traveled very lightly. I hated to accumulate too much and if I had to move, everything I owned could fit in about a dozen boxes. Now I have become settled and I have a houseful of furniture and tons of stuff!

I still keep my life very simple though. I try not to have more than one or two significant things going on in my life at once. My "social calendar" is very bare-bones.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 10:43 pm

johnny_the_greek wrote:
Are you or have you ever been a minimalist? By that I mean do you hate owning many material things and would you prefer to live in a minimalist house that has only the bare essentials and things that are affiliated with your special interests (for example, CDs, DVDs, etc.)?

absolutely,
Also spent many years with nothing at all existing on fruits and vegs that where left in the fields and sleeping at old ruins here and there,
today i'm kind of a rich man(made a lot of money programming real time systems) but i still feels ownerships(intellectual and material) to be a primitive,stupid,unjust and inefficient concept .
i believe that as we advance toward a creativity based economy some of it structures would be updated to a more enlightened conceptions where only what u know and love is yours and attention would replace money as the main currency,
Such a world would also be much better suited to AS/

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 12:04 am

I am a minimalist to a point. I feel crap weighs me down, but I'd be happy to spend extra money on comfort. For instance, I'd happily shell out the extra $2000 for an all-latex mattress because it is softer.

Otherwise, I am a minimalist. Unless it's for business, I shop at Kohl's or Wal-Mart. I don't own a car, I don't own a TV (I watch others' TV), and really don't like crap.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2010, 2:25 am

I've never had a lot of money & I hate being in debt. I'm not interested in fancy expensive things that most people my age are into. I honestly do not care about cloths at all as long as what I have to wear is not falling apart feels comfortable. I don't have an xBox either; I have older systems thou & I got burnt-out on video-games years ago. I rather be doing stuff on computer instead. Being on computer is my special interest & I mostly listen to music, watch vids & browse the web. I bought a new dell a couple weeks ago; a powerful one with a lot of expandability & it cost about two thousand but the one I had cost about about two thousand as well but I had got top of the line & had it for 7years. It's the only expensive thing I bought in a long time. So I guess I am a "minimalist" but I never used that term before. I say Voluntary Simplicity/Simple Living

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition