How important is intelligence to you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Freak_Contagion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2010, 3:06 am

Name something you'd give, if in exchange, you got a little dumber, or a lot dumber, or what-have-you.

I would be willing to lose ~3 IQ points if I could meet my perfect match/soul-mate. That's about the extent of it. I really highly value intelligence, and wouldn't give a single bit of it up for anything but that.

How about the rest of you? =3

I enjoy random PMs. ^.^

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 3:12 am

No way.

I would gain 3 IQ points to meet my soul mate, though.

Freak_Contagion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2010, 3:31 am

Ferdinand wrote:
No way.

I would gain 3 IQ points to meet my soul mate, though.

I would too, but if the only way it could ever happen was to lose 3, then I'd do it. =P

I enjoy random PMs. ^.^

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 4:47 am

It intimidates me, a little.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 5:04 am

Oh, this is a very easy question for me to answer.

My younger daughter has been diagnosed learning disabled (we are in the process of proving everybody wrong) whilst my IQ measures in the top 2%.

I would gladly settle for above average (I would still need to run my business :D ) if I could give the extra to her.

As for more friends..........I couldn't give a s**t :wink: :arrow:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 5:22 am

IQ does not measure intelligence, in fact you could even go so far as to say that intelligence is an abstract and protean concept which can't be measured, especially with a single number.

However, whatever intelligence is, I wouldn't lose any in exchange for anything.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 5:29 am

Asp-Z wrote:
IQ does not measure intelligence, in fact you could even go so far as to say that intelligence is an abstract and protean concept which can't be measured, especially with a single number.

However, whatever intelligence is, I wouldn't lose any in exchange for anything.

These types of questions often end up with bickering over the definition of 'intelligence' or 'IQ' so perhaps I should change the syntax of my post a little.........

I would willingly sacrifice a large amount of my ability to find (novel) solutions where others have failed (and my ability to do this with great ease) to help my daughter........as for more friends............I couldn't give a s**t ... :roll: :arrow:

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 29 May 2010, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 5:32 am

Isn't ignorance bliss?
Then one could be like all the plastic people in the world , and feel comforted going along with the crowd, knowing that the crowd will take care of you. :P

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 5:46 am

Bleh.
Certain aspects of intelligence are important to me, but I'd trade most of what I have for a healthier(i.e. more normal) overall mind.

I dislike being depression prone and I despise being caught in a world full of people who love the one thing I hate, pointless socializing.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 5:54 am

Darkword wrote:
Bleh.
Certain aspects of intelligence are important to me, but I'd trade most of what I have for a healthier(i.e. more normal) overall mind.

I dislike being depression prone and I despise being caught in a world full of people who love the one thing I hate, pointless socializing.

I'd give up some of my 'social' adaptation skills for more brains any day; no contest :!: :lol: :arrow:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 6:02 am

Darkword wrote:
Bleh.

Normal does not equal healthy.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 6:05 am

I'd gladly become a gibbering idiot if it meant I could have more sex. I've not yet found any good use of my intelligence, such that it is. All being intelligent has ever meant to me is that I keep having to find ever more complex ways to entertain myself.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 6:07 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
I'd give up some of my 'social' adaptation skills for more brains any day; no contest :!: :lol: :arrow:

Why? What would you do with it/get out of it?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 7:23 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
Oh, this is a very easy question for me to answer.

My younger daughter has been diagnosed learning disabled (we are in the process of proving everybody wrong) whilst my IQ measures in the top 2%.

I would gladly settle for above average (I would still need to run my business :D ) if I could give the extra to her.

As for more friends..........I couldn't give a s**t :wink: :arrow:

Me too. My daughter tested in the MR range. If I could download to her all the IQ except what I need to competently take care of her, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Janissy on 29 May 2010, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 7:24 am

Moog wrote:
I'd gladly become a gibbering idiot if it meant I could have more sex. I've not yet found any good use of my intelligence, such that it is. All being intelligent has ever meant to me is that I keep having to find ever more complex ways to entertain myself.

I have heard a lot of celibacy stories here on WP (although celibacy is not currently part of the diagnostic for assessing Asperger's :!: ) and so to those unfortunates who do have to endure the unimaginable.............. 'celibacy', I can certainly sympathize with you wanting to trade some brains to.......'get some'

Rock on

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:07 am

Having less intelligence can mean you can feel at peace with yourself because NTs do not make unreasonable demands like they do to people with little more intelligence especially AS people. being less intelligence also means you do not necessarily have to go without love and of course decent friends. In some way people with a learning disability are better off. They are less likely to have had an emotionally deprived childhood but it does happen. The only downside to having less intelligence they do not have the freedom of travel to the degree of everyone else. Having more did not mean the recognition of my civil rights it meant going without any sign of love from I was 8 till I was 22 then someone did that was over 14 years without any positive emotional stimulus which I needed. :idea: