Parents of aspies saying in their profile they are aspies

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ninja4life
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 May 2010, 10:08 am

Why are there parents of aspies talking for the aspies themselves in the forum identifying themselves in the forum as aspie-diagnosed ?

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 10:23 am

I can't speak for everyone, but when my own son was diagnosed, I learned about the signs of Autism. As I read the signs, I felt like Bruce Willis in The Sixth Sense when he realizes that he is dead (sorry, spoiler for the spoiler if you haven't seen the film :wink:

I list myself, as "Don't Know if I have it or not" - in the body of discussions, I say that I have "traits"

There are many parents who are formally diagnosed after their own children are diagnosed.

There are also Aspies who knew that they were Aspies and who have Aspie children (being Aspie does not make it impossible to have a relationship or marriage and certainly does not prevent one from becoming a parent).

So, if a parent is aspie diagnosed and happens to have an aspie child - they are still aspie and are speaking for themselves.

Other parents, like me who have traits, sometimes speak about our unique situations in these forums as well. Sometimes I speak about difficulties I had, other times I try to address difficulties that others are discussing (as I can often relate both to NTs and to Aspies).

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 10:24 am

if your child has asperger its likely u have it too since its not coming out of blue-theory :)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:01 am

ninja4life wrote:
Why are there parents of aspies talking for the aspies themselves in the forum identifying themselves in the forum as aspie-diagnosed ?

First, you've provided no example of what you are asking. Given the short length of your membership and the nature of the post, there are questions I'm asking internally, but will still answer.

Some ARE diagnosed (having a child on the spectrum doesn't preclude being dx'd as well), some are self-identified through their experiences with their children. Unless you have a specific example, that answers your question. Unless your intent is to rehash the diagnostic debate, in which case I advise reading past posts instead of dredging up this pointless argument of divisiveness.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 12:45 pm

I've got kids with AS and one with...we don't know exactly but he's not NT. I've got a professional diagnosis of ADHD but to the best of my knowledge I do not have an ASD. I sure do have a lot of the traits and wonder if I'm not carrying at least some of the genetic components as I have no NT children. To the best of my knowledge I've never portrayed myself as having an ASD though I will admit to have wondered about it from time to time. I do not consider myself NT and was tested many times as a child because my parents, teachers, and other professionals were convinced I was not NT. They never figured out what was different, but I'm told that I seem a lot better now that I take medicine for ADHD. Could I have accidentally clicked the wrong box somewhere in my profile? Possible but unlikely.

I'm finding the forums invaluable in my efforts to understand my children and others who are not typical. I think the world is a better and more fun place when every person is valued and enjoyed as they are. I'm willing to learn and be open to accomodating people in my world who are not like me.

It's unhelpful for a person to complain that NTs don't treat atypical people right then to complain if NTs try to learn the right way to treat atypical people. It discredits a person's opinion and does nothing to make the person's world better.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 12:46 pm

I doubt this is the case.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 2:13 pm

ninja4life wrote:

Because I am!

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2010, 2:26 pm

I do because I was diagnosed with Asperger's after my son was. I only knew of stereotypical autism until then, and I thought Asperger's was a type of learning disability, so before my son's diagnosis and my subsequent autism obsession it had never occurred to me to get tested. Then I did and I was.

ninja4life
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 May 2010, 2:33 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
ninja4life wrote:

First, you've provided no example of what you are asking. Given the short length of your membership and the nature of the post, there are questions I'm asking internally, but will still answer.

Some ARE diagnosed (having a child on the spectrum doesn't preclude being dx'd as well), some are self-identified through their experiences with their children. Unless you have a specific example, that answers your question. Unless your intent is to rehash the diagnostic debate, in which case I advise reading past posts instead of dredging up this pointless argument of divisiveness.

M.

First i dont need to give any example. In example, it would be more justifiable if you could give examples about those questions you dont talk about but that you mention that are in your mind. Second, I didnt mean anything.....iyou are just reading me wrong.(does it remember you anything?)

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 6:27 pm

Because there are some of us that are diagnosed on the autism spectrum either officially or self-dx'd often after our children are dx'd and it's becoming quite common due to the broader autism phenotype. Add on I understand makuranososhi's questions because your original question seems to have come off as blunt and it seems not everyone understood it as you intended it.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 8:18 pm

ninja4life wrote:
First i dont need to give any example. In example, it would be more justifiable if you could give examples about those questions you dont talk about but that you mention that are in your mind. Second, I didnt mean anything.....iyou are just reading me wrong.(does it remember you anything?)

Actually, if you're going to make an assertion then it does fall on you to provide examples - otherwise, I am skeptical of there being any issue in the first place. My questions are in regards to your motivation and agenda; they are irrelevant to the conversation, and will be addressed where appropriate, not here. The last part of your post makes no sense - "does it remember you anything" - and so I can't respond to it, either. There have been repeated attacks on those who have self-identified and/or self-diagnosed themselves on the spectrum, so creating another thread in that vein isn't something I find much value in especially as it serves to be divisive in the community instead of productive. So if you have a point to make, make it... otherwise, it's just speculation without apparent purpose in my opinion.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 9:21 pm

My mom thinks she might have Asperger's. I don't think she does, but she certainly has some autistic traits.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 9:25 pm

I think some of the parents may notice traits in themselves, & others may have actual diagnoses. Just because their children have Asperger's, doesn't mean they don't, too.