settlement in case of abused autistic children

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 9:10 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/28/au ... l-lawsuit/

A good outcome, but the case is horrifying. And I think it's sadly true about the "code of silence." My son was treated too roughly by his school aide and no one in the classroom said a *word* to us about it until after the school year ended, when she was fired. He didn't tell us either, and he is quite verbal.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 10:05 pm

willaful wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/28/autistic-children-abused-pa-classroom-million-settle-federal-lawsuit/

A good outcome, but the case is horrifying. And I think it's sadly true about the "code of silence." My son was treated too roughly by his school aide and no one in the classroom said a *word* to us about it until after the school year ended, when she was fired. He didn't tell us either, and he is quite verbal.

I'm so glad to see that parents aren't putting up with this kind of stuff any more! It was fairly common in my generation and my parents knew that I was being extensively verbally abused by teachers and frequently physically abused (including being tied to chairs, being forced to sit the school year in a cardboard box, slapped in the face, etc. but never pulled me out of school or opened a lawsuit. I know a couple of other people my age who went to different schools in my state and had similar things done to them. Maybe the parents of my generation had it even rougher in school with canings and such and so they didn't really see how damaging the abuse was to us because they thought, "well, at least you're not getting caned across the back of your legs with a stick until you bleed, so it must not be that bad." I don't know. But teachers used to get away with this stuff all the time when I was a kid. And even to verbal kids. Because who would believe a "bad kid" and if they did, they'd just think that's what a bad kid needed in order to "shape up and fly right."

This is a new generation of parents and I'm glad to see them working to change things for the better.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 2:31 pm

It's nice to see things going in the right direction, for a change. :)